Are grades really THAT important? (1 Viewer)

Millsy90

HSC
Nearly half way through my degree (Commerce). Have already started looking at grad jobs just for my own personal interest and have seen something I do not like. It appears that most firms taking on graduates wont a 5+ GPA, I am currently on 4.50 half way through my degree. So it got me thinking, if I have a 4.5GPA at the end of my degree, will my kick ass people skills and solid work history make up for my lower grades?

Another option is to try and get super marks in some easy subjects to boost it a little bit.

Anyone have any experience in the matter?.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, kick-ass people skills and solid work history will make up for your lower marks.

As long as kick-ass people skills doesn't actually involve kicking people's asses =P

Unless of course you mean the asses of those who are also applying - in which case, it would be acceptable and encouraged!

mktr430

HSC
Nearly half way through my degree (Commerce). Have already started looking at grad jobs just for my own personal interest and have seen something I do not like. It appears that most firms taking on graduates wont a 5+ GPA, I am currently on 4.50 half way through my degree. So it got me thinking, if I have a 4.5GPA at the end of my degree, will my kick ass people skills and solid work history make up for my lower grades?

Another option is to try and get super marks in some easy subjects to boost it a little bit.

Anyone have any experience in the matter?.
Im living proof of this. My marks were pretty crap (commerce/finance @MQ) but landed straight in to a equities analyst job straight after uni. I had a few years experience at a big4 accg firm, work experience at a few finance firms, statements from my own equities trading from the past few years and lots of other extra curricular stuff.

Also if your marks suck, don't bother with graduate programs.

Last edited:

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
The reason why firms usually choose grades as important is because it will differentiate people and make the selection process smaller. I would say it is more important for graduate programs mainly because alot of graduates won't have experience in anything at all.

but thinking in common sense terms, if you are the manager trying to hire someone, you will look at a few criterias and just not on grades. Like say for example if the job role is just one type of project (like say for example in accounting terms doing a tax return) and the two candidates are A (4.50 GPA student) and B (5 GPA student) and they both can do the job properly, they will most likely look at other factors like extra-curricular, ability to work in a team, good social skills, previous work experience etc, then that will differentiate between you and the other person. The main criteria for managers is usually that they want to find the right person for the right job.

My marks were terrible too, I was a pass average student in uni but i still managed to get an investment role in banking. Its just how you play your cards in the end

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Nothing impressive about getting an ib role... much more impressive if you make $1m doing some side thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)