Are HSC exams anything like their same year TRIAL exams? (1 Viewer)

Webbi

HSC
Pretty much mean what i ask in the title, thanks everyone!
Please share you opinions, thoughts on the matter of hsc exams being anything like their same year trial exams?

Hanakalala

HSC
Doesn't make that much sense but, the school who prepares the trials have absolutely no idea what is going to be in the HSC. In some cases, you could get a question or two that were the same in your HSC, but that will be purely on luck.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
No not at all, Trials are often much much harder than actual HSC exams (in most cases). This is good and bad as it makes you think that the HSC will be like that and thus make you want to up your game but at the same time puts too much pressure on you to perform extraordinarily well. In my school will is ranked in top 20, students in 3 unit class only averaged around 70% for trials but in HSC they all averaged above 80. So the answer your looking for is no, HSC exams are not similar to trials

moocow920

HSC
The schools or organisations such as CSSA or Independent have nothing to do with the people that write the HSC papers, so it's not like the hsc writers will be like ooh better not specific the poem x in hsc 2013 because it was specified in the CSSA trial, it could easily specify the same poem/speech whatever (just an example for english) in both a trial and hsc paper of the same year. However it is unlikely the questions will be too similar just because of the sheer number of types of questions possible

BlugyBlug

HSC
No they're quite different.

In my experience doing past trial papers for trials and past HSC papers now, HSC papers have more practical/calculations questions whereas trial questions seem to be more often just ripped out of the syllabus rote learn stuff.
It makes sense because the practical component of your internal assessment are assessed in your prac exam earlier in the year.

edit: i'm talking about the sciences, here.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In my over 20 years experience in the Histories there is a lot of similarity between the CSSA trial and the HSC.

What you need to remember is that in August when most people do the trials they don't know the course as well as they do two months later in October/November and so what appeared difficult in August appears much easier in October/November.

I have know the exact same question to appear in the same year from CSSA to HSC but that is very rare. It has happened more often that the questions can be similar - but not across the entire paper. I recently went through the CSSA and Independent Trial papers for Ancient History going back to 2006 for just the topics I teach and the number of times the same or a similar question turned up in the HSC was quite remarkable - not every year or even every second year but certainly 1/3 years a question was on one of the trial papers and again on the HSC that same year. It may have only been a 5 mark question, or had a different source or something but it was the same question.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
No not at all, Trials are often much much harder than actual HSC exams (in most cases). This is good and bad as it makes you think that the HSC will be like that and thus make you want to up your game but at the same time puts too much pressure on you to perform extraordinarily well. In my school will is ranked in top 20, students in 3 unit class only averaged around 70% for trials but in HSC they all averaged above 80. So the answer your looking for is no, HSC exams are not similar to trials
You're in year 10 and giving advice on trials? Not sure if srs

Maybe you just put hsc 2015 by accident, if not...

To answer the question, trials are not harder like what jasmeet claims. The reason why people assume this is because they go significantly better in hsc. This isn't due to the difficulty, but because people compare raw marks of trials to moderated hsc marks which isn't correct.

Also, people are less prepared for trials due to the lack of time to study, so this also contributes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)