Are rankings really that important? (1 Viewer)

Etude

HSC
I keep hearing that rankings are more important than the actual marks, is this really true and if so how its actually used in scaling.

Also lets say your marks are pretty average (say 60%) but you manage to achieve 1st rank, what does this mean in terms of scaled marks in comparative to a 80% in the same course but your rank is considerably lower.

Muz4PM

HSC
Mate, I have no idea about this ranking and scaling stuff. My best advice, leave the scaling and technical worries to the professionals and worry about trying to get as close as you can to 100% in every assesment.

HSC
a teacher explained the rankings stuff and waht it means during the year to me really well once, but i think i'm tired and can't be bothered to write it out tonight :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
As your school rank increases (gets worse), your ranking gets more important.

michael1990

HSC
rankings are really important.

Say for example the school sends in an internal mark of 60% for the person ranked first and then in the HSC they get 90% the school is deemed to have set hard tests and therefore will scale the internal marks up. If i got that right.

Just try and be ranked in the top 3 of every subject. Not to mention just rape the HSC.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Etude said:
I keep hearing that rankings are more important than the actual marks, is this really true and if so how its actually used in scaling.

Also lets say your marks are pretty average (say 60%) but you manage to achieve 1st rank, what does this mean in terms of scaled marks in comparative to a 80% in the same course but your rank is considerably lower.
in some sense, your ranks are more important that the actual marks. because the school assessment marks of your cohort are altered to make the mean and max mark equal to that of the cohort in the hsc exams.

so if you come 1st with 100%, or 1st with 20%, there is no difference to you. because if you come 1st at your school, your school assessment mark is equal to the highest hsc exam mark attained by anyone at your school.

that said, the relative differences between ranks are also important.

jonaxiang

HSC
God Top 3 of every subject sounds hard . Would a rank of 9/54 be considered any good as there are more people doing the subject disregarding the school performance for the time being...!

dieHSCdie

HSC
Yes ranks are important since marks get scaled and changed around but your school will send in ranks and that won't change. Also you want the gaps between each rank to be small, i can't really remember why but that what i've been told... its hard to explain but trust me you want good ranks and small gaps between all the ranks at your school.

Muz4PM

HSC
That's good, I am ranking top three at the moment in all of my subjects aside from my maths subjects, where I am about middle of the field.

lionking1191

HSC
rank is all that matters.

your yearly assessment mark will be given to you in rank form only, your report marks will only be your trials

old.skool.kid

HSC
so does that mean if u rank badly in your skool assesments but kill the hsc exams nd get the best marks from your skool, the person with the highest assesment rank steals your top mark?

runnable

HSC
old.skool.kid said:
so does that mean if u rank badly in your skool assesments but kill the hsc exams nd get the best marks from your skool, the person with the highest assesment rank steals your top mark?

Lol YES. :argue: But remember you still keep that mark for your External HSC section. So you still have moltivation to smash it.

BTW Ranks are crucial. Getting 94% means nothing if you are ranked 70th. (60 tied at 100%, 9 tied at 99% lol)

Shoubadoo

HSC
aussiechick007 said:
a teacher explained the rankings stuff and waht it means during the year to me really well once, but i think i'm tired and can't be bothered to write it out tonight :)
Why bother posting that if you're not going to explain anything? Just so we'd know you know how ranking works it seems.

runnable said:
BTW Ranks are crucial. Getting 94% means nothing if you are ranked 70th. (60 tied at 100%, 9 tied at 99% lol)

Heavy man. I didn't realise it could be that severe :O

danz90

HSC
So say I own my assessments and get a raw assessment mark of 95, with ranking of 1st, and then in the HSC Exam I end up getting the top mark, but I stuff up the exam and get only 70, does that mean my assessment mark of 95 becomes 70?

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Assessment marks don't count as the BOS don't know what the school has done to them. Added 25 to each student? Alligned each mark?

Only the rankings count and it ties in to how well you and your cohort peforms in the actual HSC. Rankings should account to 50% of your total HSC.

So no, your English marks shouldnt matter adversely unless they were significantly bad compared to your year/school.

danz90

HSC
Patar said:
Assessment marks don't count as the BOS don't know what the school has done to them. Added 25 to each student? Alligned each mark?

Only the rankings count and it ties in to how well you and your cohort peforms in the actual HSC. Rankings should account to 50% of your total HSC.

So no, your English marks shouldnt matter adversely unless they were significantly bad compared to your year/school.
So, basically your saying our assesment marks are only used to determine our internal ranks, and only our internal ranks matter, and in the end the exam marks of the school cohort in combination with our internal rank determine our HSC Mark?

If so, I hate the HSC Marks system.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
danz90 said:
So say I own my assessments and get a raw assessment mark of 95, with ranking of 1st, and then in the HSC Exam I end up getting the top mark, but I stuff up the exam and get only 70, does that mean my assessment mark of 95 becomes 70?
If you top your cohort internally and externally, the mark you get externally will be your HSC Assessment mark.

With your above questino - it depends how others went, if you came first internally and externally as well but only with a mark of 70, that is your HSC assessment mark.

If you didn't come first EXTERNALLY with 70, then I'm unsure what happens there, but rumors tell me the first person internally automatically adopts the top external mark in their cohort.

The HSC system is probably one of the most fairest education systems AFAIK, and alot of my teachers (who are senior markers and apart of the scaling process) agree.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
danz90 said:
So, basically your saying our assesment marks are only used to determine our internal ranks, and only our internal ranks matter, and in the end the exam marks of the school cohort in combination with our internal rank determine our HSC Mark?

If so, I hate the HSC Marks system.
Yup, I hate it too lol. At the end of the day, just try for the highest mark you can acheive and no amount of scaling or cohort can defeat you!

Although its always a good feeling if you're doing reasonably well in a strong cohort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)