Are you allowed to memorise someone elses essay for the HSC--English!! (1 Viewer)

Steven88

HSC
N/A
are you allowed to memorise like a paragraph form a text book and write it in your HSC essay, a teacher said that because your memorising its not actually palagrism
..HELLP!

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Steven88 said:
are you allowed to memorise like a paragraph form a text book and write it in your essay, becuase a teacher said that not actually consider palagrism..HELLP!
From a text book?

I strongly advise you against it. You'll be caught.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Its still copying somebody elses work and ideas.....how could it not be plagarism?

Really dumb thing to do. Just express it in your own way, no need to copy, and if its absolutely neccesary, then acknowledge your source!!

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Find that teacher and punch them in the head. Presenting someone else's work as your own without giving them credit for it is always plagiarism.

I_F

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
just rewrite it in your own words

your marker might have read the textbook

HSC
exactly, reword it, for example if its an "idea" just rewrite it what it means to you, if its a quote, cut out the inappropriate crap, or better yet include the entire linem, I doubt a marker will see a paragraph familiar after marking 200 essays from a past hsc paper or book

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Paraphrasing is regarded as plagarism too by some institutions (i.e you are still stealing an idea)

Hard to prove though.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Everyone does this. It pisses off the markers though, cause they have to mark essays that are a number of well written paragraphs that, although fit the specifications of the question, don't relate closely to it.

There was an SMH article on it.

HSC
I've used from past papers ideas (ie. a theme they bring forward) take what they got, and expand on it, because I structure my english essays by heavy analysis of just 1-2 ideas rather than go over a few ideas, but I never copy word for word, it never fits in context if you do anyway

香港!

HSC
Hahaha, I know many ppl who do that, I do it too (except I try to modify words in other people's essays to make it even better) lol
Memorising way to go!!!

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
I'm doing something really far out and actually thinking about my response when writing it...go figure aye.

P

pLuvia

err.. why bother?? the hsc questions change every year, unless you want to look stupid then be my guest :p you're allowed, no one is stopping you, you will just look like a fool when your answer is totally irrelevant to the question

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
香港! said:
Hahaha, I know many ppl who do that, I do it too (except I try to modify words in other people's essays to make it even better) lol
Memorising way to go!!!
Damn straight brotha!!!!!

highly_strung

HSC
I read one of the 'high range' samples from 2003 and they were practically quoting word for word from the textbook I had just read. Drove me insane, but evidently didn't bother the markers too much...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)