Arghhhhhh!! = / essay dilemma (1 Viewer)

Emzsta

HSC
i think i am just stupid! but i hate arguing historians point of view its soo confusing i have no idea to structure these things.. my qu is How can the policies and actions of Nazi Germany be seen in hindsight as the origins of the Second World War? and i understand all the content and policies but figuring out a clear intro arguing this is soo difficult! i dont kno what i can say to list everything i want but clearly so that i can elaborate later on... and no idea where to incorporate historian viewpoints.. any suggestions or ideas of how i could achieve this or where i could incorportate historian viewpoints into my essay?

Emzsta

HSC
i managed to write an essay

How can the policies and actions of Nazi Germany be seen in hindsight as the origins of the Second World War?

During the period of 1933-1939 Germany implemented many policies and actions that would inevitably lead to the aggression and destruction of the Second World War. The aims of the policies implemented were to strategically strengthen Germany’s relations with Japan, Italy and Russia. Agreements such as the Anti-Comintern pact between Germany, Italy and Japan strengthened relations between countries and formed an alliance known as the axis powers. The German-Soviet Pact and the Hossbach memorandum also have significant importance because it can be shown that Hitler had desired Lebensraum (Living Space) for the greater German race (Grossdeutschland), hence this would be done through conquering neighbouring German countries. Germany also created alliances with the enemy as an effect of the German-Soviet Non Aggression Pact where both countries recognised the shared desire for the Poland and strategically formed an alliance to ensure this action would occur without aggression from Russia. Therefore it is evident that Germany implemented many policies and actions that could be seen as hindsight for the Second World War. However Germany’s enemies also followed indirectly contributed to this via their own actions and policies such as the policy of appeasement

In 1924 Hitler’s Mein Kampf describes in detail, political ideas and views on race and Germany’s future role in human affairs. Hitler clearly outlines his vision for the future of Germany and the idea of Lebensraum, which Germany would ultimately acquire through living space. Hitler’s writings of his philosophy in 1924 were implemented as policy by him after coming to power. The Hossbach Memorandum in 1937 is a clear example where Hitler shares his views on Lebensraum with military leaders and suggests the time has come to solve Germany’s living space problems. Historians such as Alan Bullock argue that Hitler’s ideology and will-power were crucial to the development of the Second World War. In spite of this, contrasting views by Historians such as A.J.P Taylor suggest that Mein Kampf cannot be taken seriously because it was written long before Hitler came to power. He also argues that the Hossbach notes are not reliable and that many nations develop plants in the extent of war and does not prove that Germany intended to use them.

Hitler believed that Germany had to regain its status as a great world power and a dominant figure in Europe. This required the restoration of Germany’s inner strength and through a strong government that could carry out a determined foreign policy. The first major offensive action that Germany took on a world scale was the leaving of both the League of Nations and the world Disarmament conference and their announcement of re-armament that broke the Treaty of Versailles and created instability between the Allied Nations especially France. This was a significant point in World society as it began the plight for Germany to regain its status in Europe.

During this time Germany also made many offensive and strategic actions on both a domestic and international scale. Germany created Strategic alliances between both countries of Japan and Italy with the Anti-Comintern which ensured the common support from these countries. Germany also created strategic alliances with the enemy (Russia) with the German-Soviet Non Aggression Pact which shared the common idea for living space in Poland and the alliance the countries shared to acquire it without fighting themselves in doing so. Germany’s status is slowly regaining from these actions and slowly their steps of aggression and progression which aided to causes for the Second World War slowly follow.

The period of 1936-1937 became a turning point for NAZI foreign policy. Rearmament was well under way in Germany and when German soldiers marched into the demilitarised Rhineland and were met with no resistance, because of the lack of reaction of all involved Nations, Hitler saw that he could move to a new level of affective foreign policy. Hitler’s foreign policy went directly against the terms of both the Treaties of Versailles and Locarno. Other actions of importance are the occupation of the Sudetenland and the resulting Munich conference. Hitler in these early years he simply tested the waters of the world powers. Hitler’s true agenda was unnoticed by foreign leaders who rationalised his actions by assessing that the treaty of Versailles did indeed treat Germany to a disservice, being much too harsh a punishment. Therefore the leaders of Allied nations conceded to the majority of Hitler’s complaints and requests, feeling that they were reasonable. Britain formalised their management of Germany’s appeasement from 1936 to 1939. The British prime minister during this time believed that if they conceded to all of Germany’s demands then they could keep Germany on side.

Historians such as Mommsen and Brozat argue that there was German foreign policy had no constant planning and was rather, “a series of responses and improvisations to the European situation” believing that Hitler was in fact an opportunitist. This appears to be somewhat true in the sense that Hitler’s actions were severely aided via those of Allied Nations who looked to appease him in the hope that Germany would be content and not further lead to more aggressive actions.

The actions and policies of the Nazi government could be seen as hindsight for the Second World War while observing strategic actions and polices such as the German-Soviet pact and the Hossbach memorandum. However it was also the actions of the British and French powers that determined the capability of Hitler’s aggression and strength. For the British to allow the Germans to enter places such as the Rhineland and the Sudetenland showed that the British and French did not want a war and were looking towards appeasing Hitler and Nazi Germany. Hitler and Nazi Germany were allowed to push the limitations of the Allied forces and hence through these appeasing actions Germany took many steps to ensure they’re ideal for lebensraum and in turn without the opposition from allied forces and the offensive actions from Hitler and Nazi Germany World War Two may not have been caused.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
That looks pretty good, if a little brief. A little question for you: Do you use the Rep to Reich book in class and if so, did you use it alot for that essay? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)