ArtXpress Selection pool (1 Viewer)

P*O*R*T*I*A

HSC
That is incorrect, you can still get over 45 if you werent selected. A friend of mine did not get selected and got a REALLY high mark for art. Being selected doesnt necessarily reflect your mark... maybe your work was not suitable, or they were looking for certain themes. You know that if you get selected you got a good mark, but not all of the best works get selected, they are looking for certain things to showcase at the exhibition. Not that all your selected works arent brilliant... just trying raise morals for us arties that missed out!

soso

HSC
N/A
Portia is right. Some works may be too fragile, some works may be a little oversize or represent directions that the markers do not want to encourage etc, etc.

After preselection it is like a lottery. Curators wander and select to their personal criteria. If yours doesnt match what they want this is not a value judgement eg the NAS prefers drawings THis doesnt mean your painting is not good enoughjust not what they select

cuivienen

HSC
Art is very subjective...and 4 (or how many are marking this year) random markers cannot really "judge" what is good art...I mean, if you have 4 different people going on a shopping spree, they are bound to have different tastes and pursuits in regard to what they like to wear and purchase...

Ok I think that's a horrible analogy but i hope you get what i mean...

hsc_dysentery

HSC
u didnt get in tremie?

my god, what the hell is in that marker's mind?

I"m so pissed. i didnt get in either.

i was kinda expecting to get in.

i just feel so shattered....

P*O*R*T*I*A

HSC
Im dissapointed as well... but I think its just because we are caught up in our own little HSC worlds at the moment. I was getting fully obsessed with receiving a letter... but I went out yesterday arvo and I am fine with it now. I know it may seem shattering at the moment, but you will hardly give it a thought in a few weeks. For some reason, HSC art has come to be represented only and wholly by artexpress. This emphasis on an exhibition is wrong, and is terrible for the self estime of many art students who are hyped up in the hope they will be selected, even though being selected does not rank your worth as an artist... or a person.

muzzling

HSC
Whoa, i just found out that 14 girls got preselected from our school this year. There were about the same number last year with 5 who got in i think.. perhaps it was 4. All of our ceramicists are virtually guaranteed a preselection letter every year. Its so bogus.. but i dont care, i'm just hoping i get in.
Wow, 14.. i'm in awe...
And hey, don't ruin it for the rest of us who have been aspiring only to get into artexpress. It is possible to appease HSC markers, love your own work AND get into AE... Thats what's so difficult about the HSC VA course. you have to learn to accept criticism about your work, even though it is so subjective. Effectively, the markers are looking for something, and if you want the marks, you have to deliver.
Although, i do respect those who just said screw it, and did what they want for HSC art, knowing full well that they may been displeasing the audience. My hat goes off to you out there.
x

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'd rather not have a whole bunch of peoples artworks shitted on that actually get into art express by comments like some of the ones i've read earlier...

Come on guys it's nice to reassure people but what's happening now just sounds like it isn't a joke anymore and it's just blatant teen angst and jealousy... you sound like the guys that don't win the archibald or something..

miffytoki

HSC
i didn't mean to imply that...art express is gr8 and its excellent that u guys got nominated.....and u're right, i am jealous, but i'm just saying that there is life beyond it and for the ppl who didn't get in, there are other options.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yea there is, but all this talk about 'OnLy CrAP woRKS gET IN AlL thE REAL arTisTs Do'NT NeeD IT!' must hurt the other people that got preselected, then if they don't even make it thru that they have to feel twice the pain! lol

So while it might sound like i'm bitching for myself (i'm not), i just think it's wrong to judge an exhibition on what they haven't exhibited when it's not even confirmed what they will be exhibiting (not every art student visits bos, there could be a shitload out there that are like... PWAHH!H)

miffytoki

HSC
i never said that tho...i resent that people are implying that i'm knocking the art express...my brothers work got into the art express and i'm incredibly proud of him...i've visited the exhibition every year since then and i reckon they've all been gr8

Jase

HSC
Im betting there are a shitload of artist students out there who are like.. well.. they would crush each and everyone else in the state like ants. They don't come here because they're busy at this very moment immersed in the creation of a new masterpeice, an Adoration of the Magi to go on their bedroom wall, or walking around sticking stuff on giant billboards to fight against globalisation in a totally artistic postmodern way.

It's like that old biblical proverb -
"There's always someone better than you, unless it's me" - God

Serg01

My teacher just rang to congrat me.. but she said that you could of still gotten above 45 and not be selceted... reason for this is that the subject matter doesnt fit a visual requiremnt.. for example to confronting.. so yea... she has been doing it for 12 years so she knowalot...

P*O*R*T*I*A

HSC
NTB I know you were reffering to my comments, and that is totally not what I said. We all know that your guys work is amazing and you should feel really proud. But I was just emphasising the fact that just because your work does not get selected, doesnt mean it is not in the top band of artworks. Because their are a few posts around that are giving out false info that you got a crap mark if you didnt get selected.
Good luck to you all!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
what's so crap with under 90%? what's wrong with a band 5 just for the practical part of a subject?
I guess it probably does suck if u spent alot of time on it and art is ur favourite subject... but even if i got band 3 i don't think i'd be disheartened... my own peers (our age) seem to like it so why should i give a shit about some stupid old people who (while probably knowing a fair bit) probably know very little about our generation, modern art practices etc..

I dunno... i think my point is, don't be upset if you didn't get in ALOT of people haven't gotten in, and alot more people won't make it to the actual exhibitions (say .. 800 now, down to around 250 or so... with 80 of them having to be regional works...), don't see it as... "oh i'm crap at art!", it's hsc visual arts following the visual arts syllabus..
But also don't see it as "the systems crap", i'm sure that they have their reasons for not accepting ur work, they sorta did tell us the sorta shit they wanted like signs, symbols etc, but even if u didn't get accepted like... shit u could still have 89% it turns out? u might have done a real good job just perhaps not in the way that they mark things...

I dunno, i think we should just let it be.

P*O*R*T*I*A

HSC
No, see NTB thats not what I am saying... I am just saying that you can still get into the nineties if you are not selected... you know you have done well if you have been selected, but they do not automatically select you if you get in the nineties. If you get over 43/50 then you are CONSIDERED for artexpress. So you could get in the high nineties but they could think your work is not appropriate. Thats all I'm saying... because a lot of people are really upset thinking that they didnt get into band 6 because they werent selected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)