Assessing evidence (1 Viewer)

Octagon

HSC
Hi guys, how would you assess the quantitative analysis of air bubbles trapped in Antartic ice as a part of direct evidence indicating the increase of the NOx and SO2 concentrations? Is it accurate and reliable? Is there better evidence to use? could I imply the measurement of NOx concentration is a piece of evidence?
Thanks for the help!:D

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
For an assess question, you need to talk about advantages/disadvantages of the evidence with a judgement.

This means something like:

The Antarctic ice samples give an idea that there has been an increase in concentrations of SO2 and NOx in the atmosphere since the industrial revolution.

The evidence suggests that SO2 and NOx concentrations have been increasing.
-> As snow falls in Antarctica, the trapped air is characteristic of the atmosphere of the time and showing that concentration of SO2 and NOx has been increasing.
-> The deeper layers of ice suggest older age and the deeper layers tend to have less SO2 and NOx.
-> A comparison that then drawn and graphed over time.
-> Extra evidence from the 1960s onwards suggests that SO2 and NOx concentrations have been increasing over time.

There are also problems with the evidence used from Antarctica.
-> It was found that air can diffuse out of the ice samples causing concentrations to appear to change - this deteriorates its reliability and accuracy.
-> SO2 and NOx are mostly soluble in water causing them to dissolve and fume out of the ice samples causing further changes in concentration.
-> Before the 1960s, there are limited measurements due to technological limitations causing evidence to be difficult to back up for reliability.

Judgement: Even though there were problems with the evidence, the Antarctic ice samples gave a strong indication that NOx and SO2 concentrations have been increasing in the atmosphere over time, most likely beginning of the industrial revolution due to the combustion of fuels.

Octagon

HSC
So characteristic air is trapped within the antarctic ice layers, why is there limited measurements before the1960's, wouldn't you just go into the deeper layers to obtain the measurements?
Your response was very helpful, thank you!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, before the 1960s, there weren't any instruments to measure the concentration of SO2 and NOx in the atmosphere (should've included this) so there is essentially no information on it except the Antarctic ice caps.

As I've said in the response, deeper in the layers will be older but over long periods of time, the air will diffuse out and also react with water to form acids then fume out causing changes in concentrations of the gases.

Octagon

HSC
Awesome! High band 6 in Chem for you babe!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I hardly think one question is evidence of high band 6. Lol

They could be shit at other things.

I got 7/7 in a question in the option topic but only got 17/25 for that section so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I hardly think one question is evidence of high band 6. Lol

They could be shit at other things.

I got 7/7 in a question in the option topic but only got 17/25 for that section so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Getting 7/7 for the 7 marker in the option topic is pretty boss in itself...and high band 6 is very hard.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Getting 7/7 in any short answer extended is boss.
Back to topic
Someth1ng's post is quite comprehensive, there are indications within the gas bubbles, however there comes problem in producing an analysis as outlined

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)