Assessment task - HELP (1 Viewer)

lil princess

HSC
i have an assessment task regarding the BCS theory and superconductivity and need a little help.

Q1.
"Discuss the BCS Theory"

I understand the basic principles behind the theory, but our teacher said that we need to be very critical of the theory - how?? And that we should dicuss limitations...does this just mean how the theory doesn't govern high-temperature superconductors or something else? I read somewhere that the string theory is an alternative theory? [not sure if this is covered in our syllabus?]

Q2.
"Gather and process information to describe how superconductors and the effects of magnetic fields have been applied to develop a maglev train."

I have plenty of information which gives a basic analysis of how the maglev train works, but some more detailed information would be of enormous help. I understand how magnetic fields are used, but why and how are superconductors used?

Any help would be great - thanks

grimreaper

HSC
One criticism of the BCS theory is that it doesnt appear to be entirely the case with high temperature superconductors. i.e. there are both cooper pairs and single electrons flowing

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
BCS theory ONLY explains Type I superconductors... Type IIs are yet to be properly explained

the thing with maglev trains is that they mostly dun use superconductors due to the economics factor.... i cant remember whether it was the germans or the japanese that trialled SC before abandoning them... in any case with SC, just talk about the meisner effect and how magnetic levitation involving SCs work.all the other stuff concerning propagation and levitation of the train can be easily translated from any maglev model

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)