Astro dot point: Cluster age from H-R diagram? (1 Viewer)

DebuOfCourse

There's a dot point towards the end of the Astrophysics syllabus:

Explain how the age of a globular cluster can be determined from its zero-age main sequence plot for a H-R diagram.

I've asked my tutor, my teacher, other people but everyone's given me a very practical answer to this but not theoretical.

Has anyone got a decent "WRITTEN" response to this question please?

Thanks.

- Dev

Dangar

-On a H-R diagram the turn-off point (the highest remaining point of the main sequence) can be used to infer the age of a globular cluster.
-As a cluster ages the main sequence shortens from the top as stars progressively evolve into red giants in order of mass.
- The lower the turn off point the older the cluster
-e.g. O. B, and A stars evolve and move off the main sequence first, so if the H-R diagram shows that the cluster has no O, B or A stars we know that the cluster is at least approx 10 million years old.

Hopes this is 'decent'...

DebuOfCourse

Well first of all, it does help and it IS in writing so thanks Danger. Appreciated.
Whether it's decent or not, I wouldn't have a clue. Do you think it would satisfy....oh I don't know....say a 4 - 6 mark question? I can't tell whether it does or doesn't. I'm not even sure if you're able to get questions like that, but I figured it was possible since it's an "explain" dot point.

Dangar

I guess if it was a 4-6 mark question you would have to explain why the O, B and A stars evolve faster in greater depth. i.e. they have a greater mass therefore they consume their fuel at a faster rate etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)