Astrophysics help needed... (1 Viewer)

BrotherMerry

HSC
hey guys. i had to do the astrophysics option alone because the other 4 guys in my class did age of silicon. as a result, i had nobody to teach it to me and some dot point are giving me some trouble.

1. identify data sources, plan, choose equipment or resources for, and perform an investigation to demonstrate why it is desirable for telescopes to have a large diameter objective lens or mirror in terms of both sensitivity and resolution.

2. describe the advantages of photoelectric technologies over photographic methods for photometry

3. perform an investigation to demonstrate the use of filters for photometric measurements

4. identify data sources, gather, process and present information to assess the impact of improvements in measurement technologies on our understanding of celestial objects

I'm sorry, it's rather a lot but i had no teacher. i think i did alright to get this far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

BrotherMerry

HSC
thanks heaps rahul. i appreciate it. can anyone help with the other three? for the 1st hand investigations i just need to know something i could do/pretend i've done because i have no resources or equipment or anything. even an idea would be great...

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
If you find answers to number 1 and 3... Could you tell me what they are as well?

Thanx

Rahul

Dead Member
no. 4

i posted this in the other thread:
i'm thinking this would involve the use of CCD's [Charge Coupled Devices] in photo-electric photometry and the use of electrical devices instead of the using the naked eye in the past.

dash, u didnt ask for no.4, what have you put?

parry

for the first dot point, what we did was put a light meter in the sun, using polarising filters to set the amount of liight reaching the meter to a reasonable level, then used somes lenses of different sizes to focus light onto the sensor. Basically it shows that as the diameter increased the light meter reading increased, so the sensitivty increases with larger lenses. For the resolution we just used a formula R=2.1*10^5*wavelength/Diameter to show as diameter got bigger The resolution improved

The 3rd one im pretty sure is just using a light ray thing, placing a sensor in the path of the light, then using a red filter in front of the light and a yellow one infront of the sensor. The yellow one is swapped with a blue one and values taken. Red filter then replaced with a blue one and the expt is repeated. It models light from red and blue stars using B and V filters for the readings, showing the blue filter is more sensitive to blue light while the yellow is more sensitive to red.
Thats what ours were at least

Actually im pretty sure those expts came from the jacaranda book, so if youve got that it probably explains it better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)