atar cutoff commerce (1 Viewer)

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
sorry for another one of these posts but im just curious and worried...

my atar was 94.1 and the atar cut-off for commerce at USYD last year was 94.05 and the year before was 95.55.

Is there much chance of me getting into USYD with my atar next year? im kinda stressing out

thanks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There is absolutely no point stressing or thinking about it now- the anxiety is painful but if you can't control or change anything, I wouldn't stress too much. Besides, even if you did miss out on first round, you wouldn't be that far down the chain. Only thing I'd be doing in your position is wondering whether (as a backup) I'd rather go to another university and study Commerce, or what course at USYD I'd be willing to study if I didn't make it into Commerce.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
There is absolutely no point stressing or thinking about it now- the anxiety is painful but if you can't control or change anything, I wouldn't stress too much. Besides, even if you did miss out on first round, you wouldn't be that far down the chain. Only thing I'd be doing in your position is wondering whether (as a backup) I'd rather go to another university and study Commerce, or what course at USYD I'd be willing to study if I didn't make it into Commerce.
as my back up ill have commerce at UNSW which I get 5 extra bonus points for, giving me 99.1. Surely id get a second round offer from UNSW, if i didnt get an offer from USYD in the first round offers?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
as my back up ill have commerce at UNSW which I get 5 extra bonus points for, giving me 99.1. Surely id get a second round offer from UNSW, if i didnt get an offer from USYD in the first round offers?
Nope. If I remember it goes up to 99.95 in 2nd round.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
also should I put UNSW or USYD commerce as my first preference? I get 5 extra points for UNSW but its about an hour and a half or two hours commute to, where as USYD is an hour and a bit
thanks

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
All spots are gone during Main Round. But I'm guessing its because of people with AAA where its a guaranteed spot - it jumps to 99.95 ATAR.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
how come you get plus 5 points from UNSW?

inJust

HSC
All spots are gone during Main Round. But I'm guessing its because of people with AAA where its a guaranteed spot - it jumps to 99.95 ATAR.
Don't the AAA people get in on the main rounds?

Spoken12

HSC
So theoretically someone with a 97.95 ATAR that is eligible for 2 bonus points at UNSW, is guaranteed to be offered to do Commerce at UNSW, right?

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
I get 5 extra points for getting band 6 in English and E3's in both the maths.

Think I might just apply for UNSW in the main round offer and hopefully get in with 99.1 (bonus points added), don't wanna miss out on not getting into a course. Also UNSW commerce has, IMO, better and more interesting courses in finance

deswa1

HSC
You'll easily get into UNSW main round with 99.1. The 95 cutoff (or whatever it is- I'm not sure exactly) is inclusive of bonus points

is a roflcopter
HSC
wow thats a huge advantage
not sure if the system makes sense though - bonus points should go to those that were disadvantaged, not those that did well?

its counterintuitive, oh you did well, heres some extra points!

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
wow thats a huge advantage
not sure if the system makes sense though - bonus points should go to those that were disadvantaged, not those that did well?

its counterintuitive, oh you did well, heres some extra points!
i totally agree, but you could also argue that those who worked hard deserve those extra points plus theres also eas for those who are disadvantaged during the hsc.
At the end of the day its all to get students to their uni so they can make the $

Dr.Dan

HSC
Look ...
There is a good chance you will get in it just depends on the demand this year. You cannot control this, as someone has already mentioned, so stop worrying.

The HSC is over and you've achieved a magnificent mark, you should be proud of yourself.

Take a step back from the computer, close your eyes and practice breathing in deep, control your breathing and think about it.

Now ask yourself, "is this worth stressing over?" and "Is it going to change anything if I stress?"

All you can do is pursue what you want.

Good Luck

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Look ...
There is a good chance you will get in it just depends on the demand this year. You cannot control this, as someone has already mentioned, so stop worrying.

The HSC is over and you've achieved a magnificent mark, you should be proud of yourself.

Take a step back from the computer, close your eyes and practice breathing in deep, control your breathing and think about it.

Now ask yourself, "is this worth stressing over?" and "Is it going to change anything if I stress?"

All you can do is pursue what you want.

Good Luck
this.

Seriously, pick the one you want more, and like the instructions say, put down your priority. You shouldn't be thinking too deeply about whether or not bonus points/etc make a difference. Bonus points are just like a lot of other things in life (e.g. money)- just because you have it, doesn't mean you need to find a way to use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)