ATAR estimate please! (2 Viewers)

Hanathir

HSC
Good work, curious how many hours do you study a night for each subject?
i dont specifically work on time, i just set a task and finish it lol. And everyone needs different amounts of time to study, as im sure people have told u. me personally though i would go between 1 and 2 hrs/day, depending on how much i decide to do haha. Thats off exams though. During exams, 5-6hrs/day.

OH1995

HSC
Your cohort will not affect you for a subject you come first in.

However you cohort will come into play if you come second - this means you get the second best exam mark in your cohort as your school mark. Hopefully that allows you to see how important ranks are!
How does that work though? Because you could be doing mediocre in terms of rankings, but during the HSC externals, beast the exams and get 98+ in everything! So that now counts for nothing does it?
It also goes the other way, if you were ranked extremely close to the top in everything, whats the point in even trying to do well, if you are doing badly, why would you try to do well in the external exam, because you would be only benefiting those who are ranked above you. I thought they only used the strength of the cohort to determine assessment marks, whilst your external mark is the one you actually get yourself in the external exam. Whilst your HSC mark is the average of them both.

OH1995

HSC
oh wait sorry, I read that your post just said "school mark"! haha

OH1995

HSC
So is the assessment mark you get in your HSC actually the external exam mark that relates to your ranking in that subject?

Hanathir

HSC
So is the assessment mark you get in your HSC actually the external exam mark that relates to your ranking in that subject?
apparently. Correct me if im wrong, but if you're ranked 1st in all subjects right up until HSC at, for example, Ruse, then you can pretty much completely slack off at HSC cos you get the mark of the guy who came highest, as you were ranked 1st until that point. LOL I wonder if people at top selective schools have thought of that.... most probably haha.

Lord Iron-Balls

HSC
N/A
Hi
I go to a school which is 190 something

Ranks:
MX1:1/20
MX2:1/5
Physics: 1/10
Chemistry: 1/20
English: 2/28
I would say definitely over 95. Your ranks are pretty good, maintain them and gun your externals then you're all
set.
Do you know what the dux of your school usually gets? Just as an idea.

Hanathir

HSC
I would say definitely over 95. Your ranks are pretty good, maintain them and gun your externals then you're all
set.
Do you know what the dux of your school usually gets? Just as an idea.
dux usually gets 99.5+

also correction my school is apparently 175 or something, not 190's.

Last edited:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
apparently. Correct me if im wrong, but if you're ranked 1st in all subjects right up until HSC at, for example, Ruse, then you can pretty much completely slack off at HSC cos you get the mark of the guy who came highest, as you were ranked 1st until that point. LOL I wonder if people at top selective schools have thought of that.... most probably haha.
That's not correct. You can't slack off because you still get your own EXAM MARK. But yes, your SCHOOL MARK would be in safe, safe hands because it'll just be the top EXAM mark in your cohort.

Magical Kebab

HSC
WHYYY bloody mofo english! im literally right on the tail of 1st place. im confident i can get 1st by hsc.
If u get 1st in that, then anything is possible for you. Nothing effects ur ATAR ir ur first, so yeah u can get 99.95 for all we know.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
WHYYY bloody mofo english! im literally right on the tail of 1st place. im confident i can get 1st by hsc.
I am not saying that you will not perform well, however you must be careful. Do not get over complacent. Because for all we know, your school internally could be setting simpler exams in comparison to elite schools (not saying that is necessarily true although that could be the case). You are doing extremely well in school so far and that is commendable and if you are able to perform well in externals (do not think it's easy!), I am sure you will attain the desired course you want. Good luck :D

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
OP, I'd say anywhere between 97-99.95. It's up to you :) Cause you are rank 1 in everything bar one and close in the other, we know you are a strong student, but not sure how strong.

Hanathir

HSC
OP, I'd say anywhere between 97-99.95. It's up to you :) Cause you are rank 1 in everything bar one and close in the other, we know you are a strong student, but not sure how strong.
Hmm, asked one of my maths teachers a short while ago about the level of maths in exams, he said that the maths faculty forms exams by taking questions from past ruse papers, so that's a good thing it seems. Not sure about other faculties. Idk how good I would be if I was at Ruse LOL hopefully alright. There's an awfully large amount of Ruse people doing maths olympiads though, thats quite intimidating actually lol.

HSC
But exam mark doesnt count does it? From memory of looking at people's reports it says HSC mark, Assessment mark, and maybe one other mark. Is that the exam mark?
Your assessment mark is your school's moderated mark. The exam mark would be the aligned mark you got in the external exam and I'm pretty sure your HSC mark is just the average of those two.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)