ATAR Estimate Please (1 Viewer)

ArtisanBlade

HSC
I'm aiming for a 75+ ATAR in the HSC.

My school is currently rank 12. (9th in 2010 and 2009)
Last year 5 students acheieved 99.95; 41 over 99, and 145 (including the aforementioned) over 90.

Whilst I cannot locate my subject placement; my subjects are:

Advanced English: lower half/170
English Ext 1: Near the bottom
English Ext 2: 30/30
Ancient History: 12/15
Modern History: lower half/??
Advanced Maths: near the bottom
Geography: near the bottom

(sorry I couldn't be more helpful)

and overall i'm placed 155/180.

Thanks in advanced,

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
While your school is ranked very high you are in the awkward lower quarter for most of your subjects. As long as Ext 2 is the only subject you are dead last in i think 75+ should be possible but im making assumptions that you'll end up getting band 5s in atleast a couple of your subjects.

ArtisanBlade

HSC
While your school is ranked very high you are in the awkward lower quarter for most of your subjects. As long as Ext 2 is the only subject you are dead last in i think 75+ should be possible but im making assumptions that you'll end up getting band 5s in atleast a couple of your subjects.
Cheers for the reply, i'll bear that in mind;

I have a query about how the system itself functions; If i were to come last in all my subjects internally and then come first in the HSC (within my cohort) how would that affect the overall ATAR?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Cheers for the reply, i'll bear that in mind;

I have a query about how the system itself functions; If i were to come last in all my subjects internally and then come first in the HSC (within my cohort) how would that affect the overall ATAR?
Assuming that happened in every subject you would get an average atar relative to your cohort, basically when you are ranked last your internal mark is the lowest HSC exam mark (after moderation). It works in reverse in you are ranked first but for every other rank they remove first and last and then play around with the averages to retain the relative gaps between the ranks. You really don't want to be last in a subject if it can be avoided, because even though most the time the person who comes last internally also performs the worst in the HSC exam if anybody else bombs out in the HSC exam the person coming last will probably be affected.

ArtisanBlade

HSC
Thanks for the quick replies. Provided I get a 75 I'll be over the moon, so I suppose it's about time i started working.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)