ATAR required??? (1 Viewer)

CJBest

HSC
Hi just out of interest I'm doing the following subjects & my ATAR aim is 98.5, I've looked at that ATAR calculator on-line but how reliable is that really, considering your marks are all relative to your own school/cohort. Help would be appreciated.

My subjects are: 4English, 2Drama, 2Ancient, 2 Geography, 1Relgion

OH1995

HSC
You can get any ATAR with any subject combination!!! It is just more difficult with certain subjects. Your subjects are not super high scaling, but if you do well all of them, there is no reason you can't get 98+.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
You can get any ATAR with any subject combination!!! It is just more difficult with certain subjects. Your subjects are not super high scaling, but if you do well all of them, there is no reason you can't get 98+.
False.

With that subject combination 98.50 will be immensely difficult to achieve. I'm not saying you can't get it (annihilating your first three english units will make it a lot more achievable), but it's best if you're aware of the facts now =).

Good luck, and please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Attachments

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
love how Isplicer cuts the shit.
I'm genuinely sorry if I came across as rude or discouraging. I believe having a realistic view of the playing field is the best way to unlocking the best marks. OP is now aware that obtaining 98.50 is hard with his/her combo. It's a fact.

But look at the bright side: he/she is now also aware that given the task is difficult, their approach will have to be compensated to allow for the best chance of nailing that target. They now know that something has to be changed. And my advice is go all out on 2u and 3u English. if you combine mid band 6s in english with reasonably good marks in your other, pathetically scaling subjects, the 98.50 starts coming into focus.

.. or would you have preferred it if I just wrote 'dw OP, just try your best!'

The stuff your teachers/friends feed you about how you can achieve anything you want with any combo is simply not true. I try my best to help others out, even if it means that I have to say some things that may be hard to swallow at first.

Again, good luck OP!

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I'm genuinely sorry if I came across as rude or discouraging. I believe having a realistic view of the playing field is the best way to unlocking the best marks. OP is now aware that obtaining 98.50 is hard with his/her combo. It's a fact.

But look at the bright side: he/she is now also aware that given the task is difficult, their approach will have to be compensated to allow for the best chance of nailing that target. They now know that something has to be changed. And my advice is go all out on 2u and 3u English. if you combine mid band 6s in english with reasonably good marks in your other, pathetically scaling subjects, the 98.50 starts coming into focus.

The stuff your teachers/friends feed you about how you can achieve anything you want with any combo is simply not true. I try my best to help others out, even if it means that I have to say some things that may be hard to swallow at first.

Again, good luck OP!
+1

barbernator

HSC

Again, good luck OP!
bro i was endorsing your statement not mocking it. It is good that you read the facts and present them as they are, I am the same way. UAC table 3 is where the shit is at

OH1995

HSC
False.

With that subject combination 98.50 will be immensely difficult to achieve. I'm not saying you can't get it (annihilating your first three english units will make it a lot more achievable), but it's best if you're aware of the facts now =).

Good luck, and please do let me know if you have any further questions.
What are you talking about?!?!? you just admitted that he could get 98.5. It's not false by any means for the OP to be able to achieve a high ATAR because of his subjects. It is just more difficult, that if you read the full post you would have gathered. Because it IS possible to get ANY ATAR with ANY subjects, but some combinations require more work. It is not false or impossible.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
What are you talking about?!?!? you just admitted that he could get 98.5. It's not false by any means for the OP to be able to achieve a high ATAR because of his subjects. It is just more difficult, that if you read the full post you would have gathered. Because it IS possible to get ANY ATAR with ANY subjects, but some combinations require more work. It is not false or impossible.
Yes it is. Kindly refrain from twisting my words, I was refuting the following statement you made:

You can get any ATAR with any subject combination!!!
If you take standard english, general maths, dance, drama and geo, there's a maximum ATAR you can achieve, which is not 99.95.

OH1995

HSC
Previous people from my school:
1 guy got 99.90 with 4 unit english, 2 unit maths, other mediocre subjects.
2 guys got 99.95 with no sciences whatsoever
another guy also got 99.85 with drama, and very little maths or science.
the last guy graduated about two years ago with a 99.90 with no maths or science in his subject combo at all.

You can do it!
4 unit maths is not as easy as a subject like Drama, so it requires more work to do well in 4unit. Therefore it would take less work to achieve well in Drama. But if you put the same amount of effort into Drama as someone doing 4unit maths, you would achieve a great mark.

Last edited:

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes it is. Kindly refrain from twisting my words, I was refuting the following statement you made:

If you take standard english, general maths, dance, drama and geo, there's a maximum ATAR you can achieve, which is not 99.95.
30?

zhiying

HSC
Lol let's be honest obviously people just say that because they don't wanna seem mean, but I bet majority that say shit like "omg any combination is possible" is already thinking in their head "lol not likely''

It IS possible to get even 99.95 with those subjects, but unfortunately unless you are like rank 1 in everything at your school then sorry not likely. Even 98.5 is going to be hard. Giving us your school rank and your marks in these subjects helps a lot more -_-

Also I see no math so yeah LOL

If you want honest opinions its best not to ask randoms, people don't (usually) like to say what they think the truth is if it sounds slack or whatnot

D94

HSC
N/A

Some subject combo's don't allow you to get 99.95.
try and get 99.95 with these subs.View attachment 25173
You guys have to realise that you're using data from last year or previous years. UAC scaling data does not correlate or transfer to this year's calculations. Therefore, it is definitely possible for a student to get 99.95 with even the "lowest" of all scaling units. Now, in terms of what is considered the lowest scaling subjects is purely dependent on the cohort's performance in the HSC, as UAC uses your raw HSC exam mark and moderated assessment mark.

You can assume or infer, but cannot conclude.

herbs1

HSC
~you can get wateva u want~

~as long as u believe in urself~

Maryanayeah

HSC
I know someone who done the lowest scaling subjects and got 97 for her atar.. it just depends on how well you get on each subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)