Australia (2008) (1 Viewer)

icecreamdisco

HSC
Re: [Movie] Australia

baz lurhmann is one of those completely vapid would-be auteurs who's labelled a 'visionary' simply because he makes slick, loud, expensive movies that remind you that you're watching a slick, loud, expensive movie in every fucking frame.

the only thing that can come out of this film is that it'll make lots of money and resuscitate our dying film industry.

Dr. Oyster

HSC

ari89 said:
Chamelia is Aboriginal. You should be nicer to her. YOUR PEOPLE, the white man, took her away from her family.

Fucken racist white nationalist bigot
lol:santa:

jessiminica

HSC

I'm seeing it on Sunday with my grandmother. The only reason I'm going to see it is because I love Baz Luhrmann's cinematography :/

walrusbear

HSC

Mantello said:
The movie mainly focuses on the struggles and hardships of the original custodians of Australia's lands....

The Aboriginals.

A little 10 year old boy being a half cast to an Aboriginal mother & a white father is in the middle of a complication where by the Australian law 'Creamies' are not allowed & are to be sent to Mission Island where they will be in the hand of the good Lord.
The only 'savior' for this little boy are both Nicole & Hugh & his Grandfather who represents as the wizard in the boys eyes. The Aboriginal filled with the magical touch.
sounds like this movie sure has a lot to teach us

your description makes me retch
thankfully it has apparently tanked at the box office so far. godwilling baz won't be able to finance any more of his eye-raping, indulgent shite.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
saw this last weekend, really good imo, really inspiring, felt like crying, which i almost did, but everyone in front of me did it for me anyway, though it did feel quite long, after one thing happens another thing happens, and it does that for pretty much the whole movie, but then when you pay to see a movie, you expect it to take up your time, plus the aboriginal kid is really funny :)
its a good movie, highly recommend it - watch it

HSC
OMFG i finally watched the movie. after all the bad reviews my mate still wanted to see it. great movie. lovely. 10/10.

edit: who didnt want to fuck Nicole after the move?

Bulldog4lyf

HSC

I'm watching it tomorrow so I'll post my thoughts.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC

spiny norman said:
Baz Luhrmann had nothing to do with Priscilla Queen of the Desert and has never won an Oscar.
Although I agree that Luhrmann's directing is terrible, an Academy Award does not mean jack shit.

Alfred Hitchock never won one, nor did Martin Scorsese until recently and Stanley Kubrick has only received one and it was for Visual Effects for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Now, do people like Cuba Gooding Jr for example deserve an Oscar? Ofcourse not, because it is baloney. Chicago beat The Pianist for Best Picture, as did Shakespeare in Love against Saving Private Ryan to name a couple.

I have lost all faith in the Academy Awards and just don't give a shit anymore.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
Saw it a few days ago, it was amazing and is highly misunderstood and underrated by critics.

Sayangliss

HSC
Bulldog4lyf said:
Saw it a few days ago, it was amazing and is highly misunderstood and underrated by critics.
+1

I followed through a lot of the reviews when it came out and many said it looked good, but always had at least one complaint. Then there's all the news articles saying that Australia isn't doing so well in the box office.
I watched it few days ago, and for my movie session, it was almost full seating, and this was about 20minutes before the film began.

I thought the film was brilliant. It's a major film with relevance to the Australian history even though few aspects aren't particularly accurate. Why did it have to be though? it's a fictional film. I did not see any claims that "Australia" was based on a true story. And if it promotes interest in our history to those who aren't taught it in high school or primary school, then all the better.

Then there's the constant criticism of Nicole Kidman's acting. Seriously, putting it into perspective, her acting was fine. True, not the best acting ever but there are far worse. I noticed a few scenes where critics might've targeted on her acting, I found the type of acting necessary for the specific scenes, but opinions defer.

It's a beautiful film, and I also recommend for anyone to go see it.
Sometimes I think people are discriminant against it because they're having a cultural cringe. In the end no matter how inaccurate, the stolen generation and the assimilation policy did happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)