Australian Chemistry Olympiad (NQE) 2015!! (1 Viewer)

sjh33888

HSC
Hi all,

For those who sat for the Chemistry NQE 2015 this Wednesday (5th of August), I was wondering how all of you guys went?

Was it diffuicult for you guys as well (Especially Short answers)?

How many questions did you guys attempt from both MCQs and FRQs?

Share please :)

nanoputian

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I reckon I did pretty good. This test tested different topics that they haven't tested in a long time such as the organic and polymers. I found the multiple choice pretty easy. I did all of the free response questions. I was so happy when I got the answer to the last part of question 16 on the percentage of chromium. I got 12%. What did you guys get for that question?

sjh33888

HSC
Well I found it pretty easy as well - but I made so many silly mistakes in Multiple choice questions. I am actually pretty amazed how you went because I could only go through 75%of the first one and half of each of the very last two questions. What do you think the mark for camp would be this year?

nanoputian

HSC
N/A
I have heard that if you get 50-60%, you can make it into the camp. But they never tell you your mark, so no one actually knows what you need to get to make it into the camp.

sjh33888

HSC
Nice. That's what I heard as well. But, do you think this year's cut-off will be also similar to that? I found it this year's papaer kinda easier than usual. How many percentage do you think you got right?

Last edited:

nanoputian

HSC
N/A
Actually, I thought that this test was harder than previous tests. In my opinion the free response questions were harder compared to other previous questions such as chromatography which are much easier and simpler to do. Also I have heard from many people that they struggled on the organic question. So I reckon the pass mark will actually be lower than normal.

sjh33888

HSC
Top students from our school got around 3~4 questions wrong from Multiple choice questions, did most of Q16, some of Q18, but nearly none of Q17. However, other studnets (not the very top students) even stuggled from Q16. So I actually agree with your point! I think I got around 45~55% correct and I'm hoping this could give me at least HD, even bronze. Oh and beside the cutoff for the camp, do you also have a rough idea on the cut-off for HD as well?

nanoputian

HSC
N/A
I have no idea what the cut off for high distinction will be. I am pretty sure that if you get in the low 40s, that should be enough to get a high distinction and getting 50% is probably enough for silver. By the way, a high distinction is top 10%, where bronze medal is given to top 10%, silver medal to the top 6.6% and gold medal to the top 3.3%. So you get a medal if you get a high distinction.

sjh33888

HSC
Sweet! Was this year first time doing the exam for you?

nanoputian

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I also did the physics olympiad for the first time as well. Did you do any of the other olympiads?

Graceuf

HSC
Yeah, I also did the physics olympiad for the first time as well. Did you do any of the other olympiads?
I did the biology one but I epically failed the chemistry one. My excuse was that I had to do the exam in a restaurant at 8pm in the middle of our snow trip.

Much more confidence in the Biology one though. Got a little stuck on a couple of questions but overall I think I went okay.

sjh33888

HSC
Same!! I did physics as well. How did you go with that one? I think I got 8/10 for MCQ, and I just did 30% of each long response questions - think i got 25/60, hoping for at least bronze

nanoputian

HSC
N/A
I could do all the multiple choice confidently. I did all the long response questions. However I only did about 70-75% of the long response confidently. I did better in the chemistry than the physics olympiad.

sjh33888

HSC
I could do all the multiple choice confidently. I did all the long response questions. However I only did about 70-75% of the long response confidently. I did better in the chemistry than the physics olympiad.
WOW... You must be super good... What school do you go to? Ruse?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)