Australian Citizenship Test (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
What do you guys think of the new citizenship test which is now in effect?
Basically it applies to everybody seeking citizenship after the October 01, (this doesn't apply however to people seeking permanent residency in Australia.)

A few of the questions:

(1) Which one of these is a responsibility for every Australian citizenship?

- Renounce their citzenship of any other country
- Serve in Australian Diplomatic Missions overseas
- Join with Australians to defend Australia and its way of life, should the need arise

(2) Which one of these values is important in modern Australia?

- Everyone has the same religion
- Everyone has equality of opportunity
- Everyone belongs to the same political party

(3) What is Australia's national floral emblem?

- The banksia
- The waratah
- The golden wattle

(4) Which one of these Australians is famour for playing cricket?

- Rod Laver
- Sir Donald Bradman
- Sir Hubert Opperman

(5) What is a Bill?

- A decision made by a government department
- A proposed law that has not yet passed through parliament
- A legal document that outlines the Australian system of government

God forbid the immigrants don't know an arbitrary national floral emblem, Australian sporting history (a sport not widely followed anyways) or legal terminology. (These are just sample questions though.)

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Policy is stupid. I say let em in so long as they can speak a minimal level of english.

It's almost White Australia all over again.

volition

arr.
HSC
I think this citizenship test is nothing but an appeal to the 'quasi-racist' vote. In the same way that back when Costello and Howard were muslim bashing earlier in the year with the whole "they have to submit to our values of free speech etc etc".

Although I do actually agree that people should accept free speech and so on, I think this citizenship test doesn't actually do much.

I reckon people will just get a hold of the questions and rote learn answers anyway.

Last edited:

volition

arr.
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Most of the quasi racists are uneducated bogans who couldn't pass the test themselves :D
true, but they're already in :p
AND they aren't bogan enough that they don't know how to vote ;)

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
Policy is stupid. I say let em in so long as they can speak a minimal level of english.

It's almost White Australia all over again.
They have the same kind of citizenship test in UK, USA, Canada, Germany, Netherlands etc.

By the way, White Australia bring it on, thats the way it should be.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Even if it was White Australia, what does that have to to do with an arbitrary floral emblem, sporting history and other completely redundant universal ideals? Basically it's worded in a way that unless you have a good command in reading English you'll likely have a problem in it. (Now when you consider learning to speak basic English is usually more than enough to get around. Why should they be expected to read and write at an intermediate level just to live here?)

No u, Prince Harry.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Having to answer 20 easy questions is not too much to ask for the opportunity to become an Australian citizen.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
By "White Australia all over again" I meant the test is stupid, and in no way measures one's capacity to integrate into a society and such.

schmekaboo

HSC
i went for my interview 2 weeks ago so i got in time. i think the 20 questions are stupid! how is any of them gonna help us in our daily lives. as long as you show dtermination and love for australia you should be alowed to become an australian unless your phyco killing murderer....anyways its not fair on the english speaking test the most thing i love bout australia is that its multicultural :D

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
Even if it was White Australia, what does that have to to do with an arbitrary floral emblem, sporting history and other completely redundant universal ideals? Basically it's worded in a way that unless you have a good command in reading English you'll likely have a problem in it. (Now when you consider learning to speak basic English is usually more than enough to get around. Why should they be expected to read and write at an intermediate level just to live here?)

No u, Prince Harry.
They have NO RIGHT to live in Australia. It is a PRIVILEDGE extended to them by the government and whatever condition set upon becoming Australian Citizenship is their responsibility.

And you know why your beloved Sheikh Hilaly ran into trouble with the press for a zillion times, because he cannot speak proper english even after living in Australia for over 20 years.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Reading and writing is a bit much, unless they are under retirement age, in which case they will need them. If they can't speak english I imagine life would be quite difficult.

banco55

HSC
sam04u said:

No u, Prince Harry.
I'd suggest that the "completely redundant universal ideas" aren't shared in lots of countries that immigrants come from like Egypt, Pakistan, Syria and China. I'd also suggest that a citizenship test is a pretty useless way of inoculating new immigrants with these ideas.

K

katie_tully

Considering most Australians would probably fail the test. I dunno, the questions sound a bit 'Year 5 HSIE' to me. Knowing the answers doesn't make you Australian, nor does it mean once you get in you're going to adhere to basic Aussie values.

Band-aid solution. Next.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
katie_tully said:
Considering most Australians would probably fail the test. I dunno, the questions sound a bit 'Year 5 HSIE' to me. Knowing the answers doesn't make you Australian, nor does it mean once you get in you're going to adhere to basic Aussie values.

Band-aid solution. Next.
Agreed.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The questions themselves are irrelevant. It makes no difference what they are. Having to pass a test is just a way of making people prove they care, by putting in effort to read the information book.

Australian citizenship is not a right, it is a privelage and should be treated as a privelage.

kony

HSC
the answer to 2 is the third choice, right?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The questions themselves are irrelevant. It makes no difference what they are. Having to pass a test is just a way of making people prove they care, by putting in effort to read the information book.

Australian citizenship is not a right, it is a privelage and should be treated as a privelage.
Privilege*

Passing that test is going to be a piece of cake and it's not going to require any real effort. It also doesn't demonstrate that they appreciate Australian values, just that they can pass a multiple choice test about random Australian things.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Tulipa said:
Privilege*

Passing that test is going to be a piece of cake and it's not going to require any real effort. It also doesn't demonstrate that they appreciate Australian values, just that they can pass a multiple choice test about random Australian things.
I wouldn't of made that mistake if I was using firefox. My palm doesn't check spelling... I am in a lecture now with 4 other people being delivered by a person who I am smarter than.

That is exactly my point. It is so ridiculously easy yet people still complain that they shouldn't have to do it. People not willing to put in the tiny amount of effot that is required don't deserve citizenship.

It is not about appreciating Australian values it's about making sure people aware of them so they can't complain later.

Last edited:

campbellleo

Idyllic Ballina: It's enough to make you rather si
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I wouldn't of made that mistake if I was using firefox. My palm doesn't check spelling... I am in a lecture now with 4 other people being delivered by a person who I am smarter than.

That is exactly my point. It is so ridiculously easy yet people still complain that they shouldn't have to do it. People not willing to put in the tiny amount of effot that is required don't deserve citizenship.

It is not about appreciating Australian values it's about making sure people aware of them so they can't complain later.
I think it would be much more effective if immigrants were required to go through a short course introducing them to the Australian legal system. That way, they would get an introduction to the country's values (after all, only those that are enshrined into law are ones that the majority of the country agree with - at least that's the idea[edit]), a practical knowledge of their rights and duties as citizens, and not some bullshit stuff about flowers and The Don.

And doesn't anyone object to cricket being considered an Australian value?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)