Australian High School subjects (1 Viewer)

Bimbo

Southern Girl
I would be really interested to know what people think of the types of subjects being taught in Australian high schools. Do you feel that much of what you have learnt in high school is relevant? Or do you feel that the majority of what you have learnt will never be used again? Are there any subjects that you feel should be included in the curriculum?

Personally, i think that there should be courses designed to prepare teenagers for 'real life'. From my own experiences dealing with people our age, i've gathered that the majority of teenagers know little about important things that they will eventually need to know- stuff like how to rent a property, how to apply for youth allowance, and in particular job seeking skills and other associated job skills.

Winston

HSC
The courses lack, in America i know of people in High school doing the CISCO network course, which in Australia you do it in either UNI or you pay to do it.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The senior school is not designed to prepare people for life. Year 9 and 10 students have the option of taking Commerce which handles such things as renting property, buying cars and applying to the govenrment for financial assistance.

Remember that years 11 and 12 are optional studies directed at giving student sufficient knowledge and skills to undertake further study - TAFE or Uni - which will lead to careers in their chosen field.

I for one am very proud of the subject choices I made throughout high school, except of course for Commerce because I already knew all that stuff (my mother is a CPA, I learned it before I turned 12). A basic knowledge of Science and History have helped me to think more broadly about the world, the Arts served to culture the mind and Language...well, since when are languages not useful? ;)

Very satisfied with high school within my own context.

Last edited:

Bimbo

Southern Girl
Originally posted by Lexicographer
The senior school is not designed to prepare people for life. Year 9 and 10 students have the option of taking Commerce which handles such things as renting property, buying cars and applying to the govenrment for financial assistance.

Remember that years 11 and 12 are optional studies directed at giving student sufficient knowledge and skills to undertake further study - TAFE or Uni - which will lead to careers in their chosen field.
And what happens if a student doesn't take commerce as a Year 9 or 10 student? There should be a course, perhaps an extension on the careers course, that should be compulsory for students to take.

I know what Year 11 and 12 are for, what i am trying to point out which you are obviously not seeing is how important it is that people our age know how to do certain things such as those mentioned above in your post. EVERY WEEK in the office there are people our age coming in and having absolutely no idea of how to fill in certain forms, what documentation they need, what the processes are etc etc. Even basic life skills like how to take car of yourself when you are living out of home aren't really taught. Many parents don't adequately prepare their children for the 'real world' and if schools also don't teach them these important skills, who will?

Oh, another point-what is the pint of teaching a student 'sufficient knowledge and skills to undertake further study' when they don't even know the basic skills that will get them through life? I think your attitude is a little naive.

chris42

HSC
Some of the subjects are relevant, but some are just not at all, I'd like maths to be more relevant to life related skills rather than x and y's. I agree with Bimbo with the fact that there needs to be more emphasis on teaching 'real life skills' which don't seem to be taught that much at all. The best I had was study skills... ahh!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
year9 commerce was the only subject which i found relevant to our lives and society...
in yr9 commerce, i learnt how to write cheques, do bank stuff, consumer rights, business rights, stuff that you see everyday
and then after that, yr10-11+, it all went downhill....everything useless and does not help at all

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I understood what you meant, but I admit my post wasn't all that clear.

The subject is available, but the board refuses to make it compulsory. Students have the option of taking commerce and learning all these skills, but they are not made to do it. To add yet another compulsory subject is considered to be too demanding of middle school students, who already have to memorise countless (and far less relevant) facts of Geography and History.

The other thing is that as a subject commerce (which really is as far as the board will go to fulfilling your suggestion) has been proven to be far more effective when students choose to study it. Students simply will not pay much attention to teaching if it is forced on them, and schools already encurage students to take commerce as it will be their only formal education in this area.

Parents are still viewed as ultimately responsible for their children's learning of life skills. You can't blame schools if parents are not doing what society sees as their "job" when it comes to their children. In the end it's not up to schools to teach students how to do things, it's up to students to find out how. If they were really interested in such things (as they will be sooner or later) there are many government run programs offering instruction in them. The reason this works better than compulsory school subjects is that students have to make the choice and commitment to learning how these things work.

You mentioned young people coming into an office and not knowing what to do with forms? Firstly, what kind of office do you work in? That aside, I will now assume it is a government agency. Because I can safely say that there are no forms in the WORLD that are compulsory knowledge for everyone. These people shouldn't have trouble with reading the instructions on the form, unless the form is very badly done and HAS no instructions. Otherwise, it's a simple matter of literacy. Do you really expect people to memorise the procedures for handling specific paperwork? I'm not going to comment on my apparent navet but I must say that some of your points confuse me.

The basic skills you initially mentioned - handling of property, large asset purchases and interaction with government agencies - are very important, and I agree that more focus should be placed on teaching them. However, I do NOT think that an extra subject is the way to go. Perhaps if students were given a compulsory two day workshop every year or so, that would provide them with reference materials, the process would be made more effective. At least then only two days are lost rather than precious recurring timetabled lesson periods. Things like "filling out forms and understanding the procedures" are completely irrelevant to high school. It is the prerogative of the person who composes the form to make it easy to use, with clear and understandable instructions. In the context of Centrelink applications this has been done rather well already, though I admit I've seen a few shocking job application forms in my time (Kinokuniya's is terrible).

Lastly, let me point out that parents tend not to prepare their kids for "real life" very well because they received much the same preparation. It's a basic fact of life that when young people are out on their own they are essentially thrown out in the deep end. Our grandparents in particular had a difficult youth, with almost no contact let alone support from their parents once they had left home, this trend has continued down to us and will take a few more generations to change. So don't expect too much of your parents, they're doing the best they know. :)

edit: sorry this was so long, didn't realise as I typed it

Last edited:

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
WOOOO SOOO MUCH TYPING!

Why don't you spend that time writing an essay for one of your subjects :rolleyes: surely active!

Oh and i agree with Bimbo, but you also have clear points i agree with

Gamine

I think it's good that these so-called "life skills" aren't taught in school. It's been said earlier, but I'll say it again that if kids are forced to learn things, they'll forget them as soon as they're not being tested on them anymore.
Lexicographer made the point that after people leave home they're pretty much thrown in the deep end, and I think that this is a good thing. If we have to learn things in order to function in society, they should be learnt through experience, not through textbooks and rote learning.
Think about it, if we left school already knowing everything, where would the excitement and risk of trial and error be? One of the greatest feelings is learning something independently. It makes you feel more confident and better prepared to face the next trial you come up against.
Being thrown in the deep end builds character, independence and individuality, and is therefore beneficial to society as a whole.
I'm pretty happy with Australia's education system and the subjects it teaches and I've found school life to be an interesting and informative experience... however I think the government really needs to pick up its game and put alot more funding into public education (though somehow I can't see the Howard government doing that).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Gamine is right, school is about building skills for learning and understanding, not living. That's what life is for ;) Of course Bimbo has every right and reason to feel the way she does. Anyway, I've always seen my schooling as being there specifically to broaden my mind and teach me how to think more deeply about things, but not what to think of them. In the same way, I like to learn how to do things, and being told how has always been a last resort.

As for funding, it's up to the states to fund education. This time it's Mr Carr's problem.

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
wow so much writing.....i think ill pass....
next time if you want someone to read....remeber--> short sentences and paragraphs

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Yeah. You don't go to school to learn 'life skills'. You go so you can go to Uni/TAFE so you can go further than just 'life skills'.
If you want life skills, go out and get a job after school or whatever.
Also..13yrs is a lot of time for just 'life skills'.

This is not an attack

redslert: What BMW is that in your sig? I've never see it before

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by deyveed
redslert: What BMW is that in your sig? I've never see it before
it is a soon to be release BMW series 6
it is a revival of the old series6 which was discontiued a while ago :)

if you go to the main BMW website you will see it

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'd probably say 90% of what we learn at high school is irrelevant. The only 10% of any use is being able to read at a moderate level and possibly construct coherent sentences. We are taught to count at primary school. And you're not really taught to think at high school, so there goes that one.

N

ND

Originally posted by flyin'
I'd probably say 90% of what we learn at high school is irrelevant. The only 10% of any use is being able to read at a moderate level and possibly construct coherent sentences. We are taught to count at primary school.
I'd like to see how well you'd do in acst with only a primary school maths level. :p :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I don't think they'd be too much difference (except for MATH133). ;):p

In first semester, you don't need any Mathematics for ACCG100 and COMP115. As for STAT171, they taught you even from scratch assuming you know nothing at all. As for ACST171, they more or less did the same.

In second semester, you don't need any Mathematics for ACCG101 and ECON111. As for ACST101 and ACST211, what you learnt in ACST151 is suffice.

As for MATH133... you'd struggle a fair bit (or alot).

N

ND

What about MATH1B (or something, i'm sorry if that's completely wrong), isn't that the one you wanted those maths texts for? (in the 4u forum)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It's Mathematics IB (MATH133), I found something better, much much better in fact, than textbooks for it. ;) But only some Calculus is prereq., you'll get taught everything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)