Australian National University (ANU) (1 Viewer)

Dario

HSC
For those who got 99+, that B Philosophy (Advanced) degree looks awesome. Guaranteed scholarship and a mentor. Just the degree for those looking into scientific research.

pri

HSC
N/A
hmm Im in yr 11 starting yr 12 but Ill add my 2 cents anywayz

Im going to try for the B philosophy honours, Ill just have to work extremely hard and pray for a mark over 99

as for accomodation, its a battle between burgmann and Ursula I guess, the canberra factor though is a bit annoying, hows the night life? or how many hours by train is sydney?

How is Ursula if anyones been there?

chait

Originally posted by pri
hmm Im in yr 11 starting yr 12 but Ill add my 2 cents anywayz

Im going to try for the B philosophy honours, Ill just have to work extremely hard and pray for a mark over 99

as for accomodation, its a battle between burgmann and Ursula I guess, the canberra factor though is a bit annoying, hows the night life? or how many hours by train is sydney?

How is Ursula if anyones been there?

goodluck with yr 12! :) Don't overwork yourself cos you'll have quite a heavy workload as you plan to do honours. I think that the ANU is the best place in Aus, and one of the best places in the world to study philosophy. Did you check out the link in my previous post? in 2001/2002, it fell to group 2 (with Cambridge). The closest Aussie unis were Monash and Melb in Group 4.
The ANU is still the best Aussie uni according to these rankings. http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com

I haven't visited Ursula, but I've been to visit Burgmann. I'm not sure if I'll get accepted into Burgmann. If not, I'll probably get an apartment off campus - but it'll be a prob since I can't cook!

Hey you should also think about applying for a scholarship.

Canberra is roughly 3 hrs away by car. Yes, Canberra is a bit of a boring place. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that colleges don't have plentiful social events. From what I've seen, they do. Since you'll be an honours student, I don't think you'd have that much time to experience too much nightlife anyway, esp during the honours yr :D I've heard that there are some real nice bars around.

well we'll check the nightlife out next yr and we'll post our opinions here ok? :)

Last edited:

pri

HSC
N/A
thanks for the link!

Actually in the degree I will be majoring in psychology, but Ill probly do heaps of philosophy anywayz. Is it hard to transfer from course to course in ANU if anyone knows? If I dont get into the philosophy course Ill prob. do psych and transfer...

Does anyone find it strange though going from living in your own house to living in a college, suddenly being surrounded by a bunch of ppl whom you dont kno and having to share facilities with them? To me it seems like it will probly be like being on a permanant school camp.

ANU seems like a nice enough place though.

chait

Originally posted by pri
thanks for the link!

Actually in the degree I will be majoring in psychology, but Ill probly do heaps of philosophy anywayz. Is it hard to transfer from course to course in ANU if anyone knows? If I dont get into the philosophy course Ill prob. do psych and transfer...

Does anyone find it strange though going from living in your own house to living in a college, suddenly being surrounded by a bunch of ppl whom you dont kno and having to share facilities with them? To me it seems like it will probly be like being on a permanant school camp.

ANU seems like a nice enough place though.
yes i think it's strange... but in the US, that's what everyone does! it's a goo way to meet new ppl & make new friends. a skool camp? hehe nah,u have none of the restrictions. no curfew etc etc. just cmmunal living. i have to admit that shared bathrooms sounds pretty gross.

i'm lookin forward to canberra (sic) :)

pri

HSC
N/A
omg its really not thaaat bad, ok ANU just got some extra brownie points

neluschi

did anybody have an interview for the non-religious colleges like Burton and Garran? Because I just applied at the last minute and I am not sure if I am doomed because of my last minute application and no interview.

chait

Originally posted by neluschi
did anybody have an interview for the non-religious colleges like Burton and Garran? Because I just applied at the last minute and I am not sure if I am doomed because of my last minute application and no interview.
did u apply online? or by post? i haven't received a reply from Burgmann yet. I know that demand is pretty high (as they only had a few rooms left last yr).

to the ppl who have been accepted, how long did it take for you to be contacted?

neluschi

I applied online, but after I made the payment the ANU site crashed on me. So i have paid, but I am not sure if my application has been received, so will probably just send it as well to make sure.

I think the place that you applied to e.g. Burton and Garran Hall are meant to contact you after they receive your reference things.
I hope I get into a college of some description simply for the social side of things, otherwise it will really suck for the first few months.

chait

Originally posted by neluschi
I applied online, but after I made the payment the ANU site crashed on me. So i have paid, but I am not sure if my application has been received, so will probably just send it as well to make sure.

I think the place that you applied to e.g. Burton and Garran Hall are meant to contact you after they receive your reference things.
I hope I get into a college of some description simply for the social side of things, otherwise it will really suck for the first few months.
hmm they still haven't contacted me.. think i'll call on monday to make sure. i applied online as well. it still says application received. i wonder if they actually update teh site.

if i don't get in, i'll get an apartment for the first year or first semester. then i'll try my luck again :) at least there won't be communal bathrooms.

chait

Originally posted by pri

wtf?! did jackie chan go to ANU?
no! he just donated some money for cancer research. his parents have lived in canberra for 40 yrs...

Loqu

uni v work
HSC
on campus

yeah ANU is soooooooo my first choice

I wanna do Bsci(in maths)/BEco
so 4 yrs

then go somewhere reallllllllllll nice (like Melb) n do a grad. dip. ed.

I put in for JXXIII but I applied like in june
N I went 2 the open days as well Johns has the biggest rooms
And fully catered is a definite bonus!!!!!!

Did all you guys sit interviews?? I did one for Johns apparently everywhere has HEAPS of applicants and last year HEAPS of ppl missed out that's why I applied so early :( I hope we all get in

see ya's there :D

chait

commerce/economics

anyone planning to study commerce/economics????????

i'm again considering this... not sure if this is a good idea or not..

chait

Re: on campus

Originally posted by Loqu
yeah ANU is soooooooo my first choice

I wanna do Bsci(in maths)/BEco
so 4 yrs

then go somewhere reallllllllllll nice (like Melb) n do a grad. dip. ed.

I put in for JXXIII but I applied like in june
N I went 2 the open days as well Johns has the biggest rooms
And fully catered is a definite bonus!!!!!!

Did all you guys sit interviews?? I did one for Johns apparently everywhere has HEAPS of applicants and last year HEAPS of ppl missed out that's why I applied so early :( I hope we all get in

see ya's there :D
looks like you'll like the BEco degree b/c it's apparently very quantitative @ ANU. i've only done 2u maths, and although this is the level of assumed knowledge for the course, i still don't feel confident.

neluschi

hey does anybody have any idea when we find out if we are accepted into the colleges or not? Another thing, if we list ANU as our first preference will we get priority over the ones who list ANU as their backup uni but still apply for accommodation?

While I am on the subject, has anybody found any good sites to find a unit in canberra if all else fails?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)