Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Bob's retirin. Lentern be foolin

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Ages ago? He's my memba and he's not standing again. The seat of Fraser is very safe Labor (>60%), so we're hoping that high command use this opportunity to parachute in some brilliant, but normally unelectable, Keatingesque talent

Lentern

HSC
Ages ago? He's my memba and he's not standing again. The seat of Fraser is very safe Labor (>60%), so we're hoping that high command use this opportunity to parachute in some brilliant, but normally unelectable, Keatingesque talent
He's not going until 2013, he could have run a ministry, Reith and Hayden were key cabinet ministers for less than six years. Did you have any rude, polarising, arrogant, offensive smart arse in mind? The few articles i just read said your chief minister is being talked about as the man to replace dear old Bob.

On the defence minister issue I don't know why Crean is being spoken of, according to the ordering of Rudd's cabinet trade allready outranks defence (and FA strangely).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Oh sorry, my mistake. 2010 is his last stand.

badquinton304

HSC
Keatingesque! Australian politics has gone stale we need the real thing back.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sweeeet/ Faulkner steps up and takes defence.
The left lives on :cool:

Lentern

HSC
I reckon its a political mistake. He's too much of a good guy to take control of the defence forces. He'll end up ending a great career in public service with a Tobly Ziegler kind of moral betrayal. Most importantly though, he's a lemming.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I reckon its a political mistake. He's too much of a good guy to take control of the defence forces. He'll end up ending a great career in public service with a Tobly Ziegler kind of moral betrayal. Most importantly though, he's a lemming.
What a pathetic post. Seriously, he's good for the job because he's a good guy. He commands immense respect internally, as well, which is a huge bonus, and he's got Rudd's backing.

And wtf is wrong with a 'moral betrayal'? It's no betrayal at all; the government is accountable to the people, not itself. :rolleyes:

As for lemming... yeah, you'd know after all. God, man, watching the West Wing does not a political analyst make. When will you learn that?

Lentern

HSC
What a pathetic post. Seriously, he's good for the job because he's a good guy. He commands immense respect internally, as well, which is a huge bonus, and he's got Rudd's backing.

And wtf is wrong with a 'moral betrayal'? It's no betrayal at all; the government is accountable to the people, not itself. :rolleyes:

As for lemming... yeah, you'd know after all. God, man, watching the West Wing does not a political analyst make. When will you learn that?
Are you honestly that stupid? I make a reference to something that happens on the west wing and as such everything I say is based on West Wing/Commander in Chief/Yes Minister/Hollow Men/Spin City nonsense. If you could put two and two together you'd atleast be smart enough to notice that west wing talks up the importance of believing in things and great oratory to be a succesfull politician whereas I constantly mock it as rubbish. If Josh Lyman went out to his cornfield to pick a candidate do you think he'd pick a ticket of Smith/Mcmullan like me or Gillard/Combet which I imagine would be about the worst ticket imaginable.

I commented on the political prudence of the appointment, not the mans merit for the job. A moral betrayal is commendable, inspiring stuff but there is plenty wrong with them if your the prime minister who gets left in it which is the point.

Any man that voted for Mark Latham is a man that chose political suicide over likely victory and any man that was supposedly a close advisor to Latham must surely have been trying to lose the election. Until they kill a Ferguson none of them will ever shake responsibility for the damage they inflicted upon the Australia Labor Party.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Doesn't matter which country politicians come from.
It's easy to create one.
They have no gut or heart and their heads are interchangeable with their asses.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Latham probably seemed like a good idea at the time. He had his strengths and unique appeal.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Are you honestly that stupid? I make a reference to something that happens on the west wing and as such everything I say is based on West Wing/Commander in Chief/Yes Minister/Hollow Men/Spin City nonsense. If you could put two and two together you'd atleast be smart enough to notice that west wing talks up the importance of believing in things and great oratory to be a succesfull politician whereas I constantly mock it as rubbish. If Josh Lyman went out to his cornfield to pick a candidate do you think he'd pick a ticket of Smith/Mcmullan like me or Gillard/Combet which I imagine would be about the worst ticket imaginable.

I commented on the political prudence of the appointment, not the mans merit for the job. A moral betrayal is commendable, inspiring stuff but there is plenty wrong with them if your the prime minister who gets left in it which is the point.

Any man that voted for Mark Latham is a man that chose political suicide over likely victory and any man that was supposedly a close advisor to Latham must surely have been trying to lose the election. Until they kill a Ferguson none of them will ever shake responsibility for the damage they inflicted upon the Australia Labor Party.
More dribble, and yes I think it's pretty clear to a lot of us here that most of what you say is based on TV shows. The only other possibility is that you come up with this crap yourself, which is frankly even more disheartening.

I suspect I may hold more views in common with you than I ever will your average member of the Liberal party, Lentern, but you have a truly horrible way of expressing yourself, let alone 'defending' your ideals, and it's extremely hard to ignore.

Lentern

HSC
Latham probably seemed like a good idea at the time. He had his strengths and unique appeal.
A good idea? His whole philosophy of politics was that it should be a robust dogfight between two passionate candidates with a vision to shape the country. Anyone who left that party room with any sense of hope should be deselected on grounds of pure stupidity.

Lentern

HSC
More dribble, and yes I think it's pretty clear to a lot of us here that most of what you say is based on TV shows. The only other possibility is that you come up with this crap yourself, which is frankly even more disheartening.

I suspect I may hold more views in common with you than I ever will your average member of the Liberal party, Lentern, but you have a truly horrible way of expressing yourself, let alone 'defending' your ideals, and it's extremely hard to ignore.
No the fact is you believe what you wish to be the case about the Australian electorate. I showed just how great a divide there is between me and the idealistic west wing views of politics and what do you oh lord of expression come up with, just a repetition of the same absurd statement with even less to back it up. If you are trully stupid enough to think the Gillard/Latham style of politics is effective in any circumstance than only god can help you.

Tell me this, if Faulkner is such political dynamite why was he originally given special minister for state? Why not give him a portfolio that 75% of Australians think exists and 90% think has a purpose. You won't answer this because the truth does fly right in the face of your pie in the sky idea that good, honest troopers who cherish integrity and really have visions for Australia make the best politicians. Why don't you explain to me exactly how John Howard was a conviction politician, another river of effluent from the mass media you swallowed because it makes a good narrative and then somehow convince yourself that it is someone else who gets all their ideas from the media.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Love Faulkner.
Honour. Integrity. Pax Romana.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes, thankyou. If you'd care to visit the kitchen, cook might fix you something to eat. Good day.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
No the fact is you believe what you wish to be the case about the Australian electorate. I showed just how great a divide there is between me and the idealistic west wing views of politics and what do you oh lord of expression come up with, just a repetition of the same absurd statement with even less to back it up. If you are trully stupid enough to think the Gillard/Latham style of politics is effective in any circumstance than only god can help you.
How do you so effortlessly misinterpret peoples's posts and opinions in general, Lentern? I don't even like or respect Latham, yet you've based your entire rant there on the premise that I do, that people remember and care about Latham, and that who a politician allied with 5 years ago for one reason or another is an accurate measure of his intelligence. Your attempt at equating Gillard with Latham is also highly amusing.

I know you read my posts, so I'm left wondering how you manage to avoid actually understanding them.

Tell me this, if Faulkner is such political dynamite why was he originally given special minister for state? Why not give him a portfolio that 75% of Australians think exists and 90% think has a purpose. You won't answer this because the truth does fly right in the face of your pie in the sky idea that good, honest troopers who cherish integrity and really have visions for Australia make the best politicians.
Because Rudd had more powerful allies to appease? Come on Lentern, keep up.

Why don't you explain to me exactly how John Howard was a conviction politician, another river of effluent from the mass media you swallowed because it makes a good narrative and then somehow convince yourself that it is someone else who gets all their ideas from the media.
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm an economically centrist, social liberal who supports the welfare state and thinks Howard was a manipulative and often callous bastard and you somehow manage to take that and interpret it as some kind of admiration for him. Seriously Lentern, WTF?

spiny norman

HSC
If Josh Lyman went out to his cornfield to pick a candidate do you think he'd pick a ticket of Smith/Mcmullan like me or Gillard/Combet which I imagine would be about the worst ticket imaginable.
Man, Gillard/Combet sounds amazing to me. Good idea, Lentern!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)