Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
Ugh, after Latham Joel Fitzgibbon has got to be the most problematic Labor MP in the past 11 years, not surprisingly he's one of about three MP's Latham didn't rip into in his diaries. It reflects poorly on Gillard that she pushed first for him to be Minister of Defence, then she brought him back in as Chief Whip. I take back my criticism of Laurie Ferguson over the past few years, Fitz definitely gets the gong as most useless member. Kelvin Thompson comes in third. All Gillard factional backers from way back and all voted for Latham.

Garygaz

HSC
never been a fan of gillard. she just comes across as this puppet who just sticks to the party line and does whatever the powerbrokers tell her to. lacks conviction. god dammit at least krudd took a stand and same goes for turnbull.

Garygaz

HSC
hurr durr i'm wayne swann, our banking system so good, so strong, aren't we great. hurr durr don't mention their insanely high profits are in direct correlation with our banks having some of the highest fees in the world. hurr fucking durr. and this guy is our treasurer, how?

Garygaz

HSC
the issue is why it is profitable not just the fact that it is profitable

Garygaz

HSC
Will be interesting to see what the end result of all this is. Interesting weeks ahead.

Lentern

HSC
Rumour: Factional leaders met tonight, Conroy, Cameron, Carr, Shorten, Feeney and Howes have been said to have been contacted(but curiously not Arbib) a Crean/Smith ticket was proposed, as was the dumping of Rudd from the frontbench. There also is a weaker theory that the AWU is pushing strongly for Swan. I personally don't give much stock to the rumour but a little over a year ago a mate of mine told me Shorten was meeting with Arbib because they wanted to roll Rudd and I called him a crazy conspiracy theorist so who knows.

Garygaz

HSC
they're done if they dump another prime minister (if you assume they aren't already fucked). i wouldn't be surprised if some of the independents pull support if they dump gillard. i've seriously never been so disappointed in politics as i am now. feels like a farce.

Lentern

HSC
they're done if they dump another prime minister (if you assume they aren't already fucked). i wouldn't be surprised if some of the independents pull support if they dump gillard. i've seriously never been so disappointed in politics as i am now. feels like a farce.
I think they're lucky to have gotten as far as they have after the fiasco with Rudd's dumping, another I agree would be suicidally stupid. As I said though I'm sceptical, from what I've heard Gillard is generally on amiable terms with the factional heavies(being a product of the machine herself) whereas Rudd was contemptuous and dismissive of them and that not many people actually thought Gillard was more likely to win than Rudd, but that such was her popularity at the time they thought they could get away with it. I also can't see why Crean or Swan would be touted as better alternatives and I have been a harsh critic of Gillard long before she became prime minister. If they think a leadership spill effected by the same factional heavies(especially Howes) won't be greeted with inconceivable cynicism for the electorate than god help them.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.news.com.au/national/gillard-faces-revolt/story-e6frfkvr-1226127713316

SENIOR Government figures say Julia Gillard has "lost her authority" and have urged her to weigh whether it's in Labor's best interests for her to remain prime minister.

In an extraordinary turn of events, Labor figures who supported Ms Gillard when she replaced Kevin Rudd as prime minister just 14 months ago are now floating a remarkable plan that could see Mr Rudd return to the leadership with Stephen Smith as his deputy and treasurer, the Courier-Mail reported.

Garygaz

HSC
ahaha god if rudd came back, the smile on his face would be priceless. smith is a pillar of integrity in the cess pool of politics.

Lentern

HSC
ahaha god if rudd came back, the smile on his face would be priceless. smith is a pillar of integrity in the cess pool of politics.
I like Smith, again I was touting his credentials as a leader back when Turnbull was still leading the opposition but he's actually pretty shameless when it comes to factional games, a classic apparatchik of the WA machine. He was one of the first to sign up when the move against Rudd was on he just had the common sense not to draw attention to himself over it. Senator Faulkner is without doubt the ALP member with the most integrity.

Edit: I think a big reason for the speculation is that Richo said earlier this year that Gillard has until September to get the government back on track or they're finished. And some people are under the impression there are members in the ALP who still give a #### what Richo thinks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)