Australians pay $41 million for Catholic World Youth Day. (1 Viewer)

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Yeah, my local catholic church is rolling in the moolahs.

Mansions and pimped cars, crazy shit.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Enteebee said:
Oh, so the principle is that it's wrong if it's a religious event? Why them in particular?
An example. I'm happy to extend it to political rallies, other such events, what have you.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Yea but why are religious events any different? The government will provide funding to a lot of organisations that probably only represent 0.001% of the community, are you against all of them? Government funding to help find a cure for spinabifada would only ever help a small number...

I guess the question is whether you're against government assistance on the whole or whether it's only for some events, if only some then why them? In this case, why should a catholic festival not recieve any tax payer money but the olympics should? Believe it or not, not everyone loved the olympics either and they cost us a shiiiiiiitload more...

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Yea but why are religious events any different? The government will provide funding to a lot of organisations that probably only represent 0.001% of the community, are you against all of them? Government funding to help find a cure for spinabifada would only ever help a small number...
opinion null and void

how is spending money on a cure for spinabifada anything like religion ?

you dont choose to get spinabifada do you ? you certainly choose your religion.

religious organisations shouldnt even need shit days like this to spread their bullshit message on the weak and defenceless. just like any other organisation of like minded individuals they should pay for their own shit. spend the millions on education or health, something worthwile

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
opinion null and void

how is spending money on a cure for spinabifada anything like religion ?

you dont choose to get spinabifada do you ? you certainly choose your religion.
Um... I'm not saying they aren't different, I'm asking for a principle to explain WHY we should treat them differently.

Your principle you seem to have enunciated there is that only when people have been harmed at no volition of their own they should recieve government assistance... by that we don't give government funding to get people to quit smoking or get off drugs? Stop eating so much junk food? Excercise more?

I think it's fairly consistent with government to subsidise big global events that can bring in money to the local economy.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
hey at least its not a gay pride parade

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Your principle you seem to have enunciated there is that only when people have been harmed at no volition of their own they should recieve government assistance... by that we don't give government funding to get people to quit smoking or get off drugs? Stop eating so much junk food? Excercise more?
thats because those people become a drain on tax payers money. treating patients for lung cancer caused by smoking costs a lot more then a couple of "facts packs" or info labels on cigarette packets. prevention is usually cheaper then the cure.

similar to junk food and exercising.junk food causes obesity which takes up hospital beds and resources. it also slows the economy because it reduces the size of the labour force and thus losing potential output. personally i think we should cut all spending to prevent smoking and obesity in adults. theyve made a conscious decision to slowly kill themselves. in children however is a different matter

thats just my opinion of course

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Do atheists get to meet the pope?

EDIT: From the WYD2008 site

" 1. I am not a Catholic - can I still take part?

World Youth Day is an invitation from the Pope to all the youth of the world without discrimination. While World Youth Day celebrates the Catholic faith, its message is relevant to all people and all are welcome. Many non-Catholic Christians and others have taken part in previous WYDs."

At least they're welcoming.

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Imagine this "Australians pay $41 MILLION for MUSLIM youth day".
could you imagine the havok, horror, outrage that would ensue?

volition

arr.
HSC
geez, why can't I get $41 million to run a Jedi Youth Day? I'm sure plenty of people would come :p

K

katie_tully

Fuck that off, I don't want 500,000 Muslims coming and being concentrated in one area.

That is a lot of suicide bombs guys.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
wrxsti said:
Imagine this "Australians pay $41 MILLION for MUSLIM youth day".
could you imagine the havok, horror, outrage that would ensue?
if even 10% of the australian population was muslim I would understand it, just as we have chinese new year and such.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
My only issue with World Youth Day is that I'm planning to be very very very far away during it but the big event on Sunday is the day before I start uni...

Besides that I'm fairly pissed off that all this money is being spent on it. Chadd explain exactly why they should get the money. The notion of revenue is fairly null and void considering that it will probably break even in terms of expense vs. profit. I do believe that the Olympics made more money than it spent (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure I read something about it).

volition

arr.
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
can you find over a billion jedis with 2000 years' tradition?

EDIT: they have to be on Earth
Damn you got me there bro, I can't compete with 2000 years of insanity from a billion ppl

roosterman

HSC
oooh yeah baby! thousands of hot catholics in australia. and u guys are paying for it. boohoo! catholic woodstock. full of drysex

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
volition said:
Damn you got me there bro, I can't compete with 2000 years of insanity from a billion ppl
I gave you a completely valid answer to your question stupid

and like i said earlier, just because 'religion' is involved no one can be reasonable because they need to get worked up and express their hate :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)