[AUTHOURITY NEED]is 'd cosx' available? (1 Viewer)

ne plus ultra

HSC
when i did intergration questions, i did it like this, for example:

intergral tanx dx
('intergral' here means the symbol...the big 's' like symbol....i dont know how to type in....||||- -)

then this is what i did:

intergral tanx dx
=intergral sinx dx/cosx
=intergral - d cosx/cosx
= - ln cosx + C
done.

my teacher says she never met anything like 'd cosx' here, so that i can't use it in doing the questions. instead we have to strictly follow the differenciate step which is:
dy=sinx dx
therefore dy/dx=sinx
therefore y=-cosx

however in my opinion, the only different between what i did and what the teacher said, is that she sub a 'y' as a medium in doing the question while i didnt. anyway both of us got the correct answer.
my teacher told me i must lose marks in HSC and i d better never use that again. i dont know how come mine is incorrect in the exam. isnt our purpose to solve the questions but not the from we write? i have use such a method for more than one year and nobody tell me it is not right...suddenly force me to change my brian make me extraodinarily uncomfortable.......- -
i need somebody who KNEW the HSC VERY MUCH to tell me if i can do 'd cosx' things in the exam.

(sorry for my messy english....><)

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH.......

P

pLuvia

I've never seen that d cosx before either, unless you meant d/dx(cosx). Because d(cosx) doesn't tell to what variable you are differentiating to, i.e d/dx(cosx) means to differentiate cosx in respect of x

The way I would do it, to show working would be
int.(tanx)dx
Let u=cosx
du=-sinxdx
Hence int.(tanx)dx=-ln(cosx)+C

SeDaTeD

HSC
I've done it plenty of times and received full marks. They're differentials. Plus, it makes integration by parts so much quicker and concise.

kony

HSC
yes it is allowed.

for example, integral sec²xtanxdx = integral tanxd(tanx) = (tan²x)/2

doing this is similar to a subsitution:

for integral sec²xtanxdx, let u = tanx
du=sec²xdx
therefore, integral udu = u²/2 = (tan²x)/2

as you can see, the answers are the same. as the above poster said, this is using a differential, where the variable being integrated against is changed to something other than x.

ne plus ultra

HSC
the method from #2 is how my teacher did. i m trying to do it in this way....- -|||| thank you~

i m so happy that upstairs two supporting me...^^ well are you guys sure about it s allowed in HSC not only in your school? then i ll show my teacher this thread and ask again....thank you guys so much.

any teacher here?

HSC
N/A
It's OK if it's indefinite.

For definite ones however it's better to leave the limits as values of x and not change them to the corresponding values for what you end up integrating with respect to - unlike in substitution where you do change these values. The reason for this is that your answer is still going to be in terms of x before substituting values. For example:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)