Average cost of Off-Campus Accommodation (1 Viewer)

filo_zone

HSC
Hey, I was wondering what the average rent right now is in properties around ANU such as those in the Inner North and Belconnen suburbs? Furthermore, how much is the average rent right now in these places/suburbs for shared accommodation? On average, how much per month would you spend on things like electricity, internet and phone? (Please specify individually if the price you're stating is for shared accommodation or the total per month for that amenity) I've got a few prospects, but I want to know exactly what's a good price. For example, would $200 per week (including electricity and internet) be a good price for shared accommodation in Lyneham? I've read a few articles on this, but some of them are outdated and I wanted to hear it from others who have actual experience with these things in Canberra. On a final note, is on-campus or off-campus accommodation better overall? If possible, could you please list the Pros and Cons of both?

chillwave

HSC
$150 a week is decent for an unrenovated 3br house; a new apartment will set you back up to $250pw.
Utilities should be budgeted at around $25-30pw. Remember, Canberra is FREEZING in winter, so heating costs are huge.

On campus is way better in your first year. There's two main groups of people at ANU - college kids and townies. Townies made their friends at high school, and use existing social groups to meet new people at uni. College kids meet their friends at college, and at inter-hall events.

People who move to Canberra to live in a share house are in a small minority. I'd think you'd be very lonely. Until you develop a social network, you need people to live around. Also, most share house students will be 2-3yrs older than you (likely ex-college kids)

Freya Jarrett

HSC
My boyfriend will be moving to canberra with me next year for uni. I would love to live in uni accomodation rather than a sharehouse or apartment but am not sure if they allow partners who don't attend the uni to live with you. It seems unlikely but it's worth asking I guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)