Awesome uni vs. the closer uni (1 Viewer)

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
So I already know there is a good chance of getting into the uni I want BUT it's further away than the "local" uni, which isn't as great.
I've been working my butt off to get a great mark which so far, I achieved.
Now I'm going to be defeated by... Travel? :evilfire:

and I can't afford on-campus accom. and... my mum isn't too keen either.

Anyone with the same problem??
what unis?

twistedrebel

HSC
Depends what degree. Most degrees that lead into grad programs have this as a fact.

Often for Investment Banking etc if your Resume has anything other than UNSW/USyd etc it gets chucked straight in the bin. At least you could get in the interview with the other 2, even if you fail socially.
m8 Macq and UTS have great business programs and churn out Business grads like no tomorrow and most of them do get job.

izzy88

HSC
So I already know there is a good chance of getting into the uni I want BUT it's further away than the "local" uni, which isn't as great.
I've been working my butt off to get a great mark which so far, I achieved.
Now I'm going to be defeated by... Travel? :evilfire:

and I can't afford on-campus accom. and... my mum isn't too keen either.

Anyone with the same problem??
how far away are you from this 'awesome uni'...is it possible to commute (how much time are we talking)?

also, whilst you said you can't afford on-campus accomodation, what about moving into a share house nearby...they tend to be cheaper than colleges etc. There is also the possibility of scholarships at colleges which may help you financially.

terminator69

HSC
I would recommend going to the awesome uni despite the travel time.. as long as it is bearable.

It depends on what degree you want to study too. Based on my experiences with my friend who does B Computer Science at Usyd and my brother who completed his B Computer Science at UWS, there are differences in the ways the degrees are taught depending on where you go. They are both taught quite differently and there are many different subjects you can take. Look at which university offers the subjects that interest you the most and try to make some sort of pros/cons list. Each university is good for different things so I would personally look at what both universities have to offer. :)
The way subjects are taught are only one aspect of the university experience and a lot of other things can affect how you enjoy your time there (unless you go to uni purely for academic reasons and don't care about anything else such as lifestyle).

Kralex

HSC
Often for Investment Banking etc if your Resume has anything other than UNSW/USyd etc it gets chucked straight in the bin. At least you could get in the interview with the other 2, even if you fail socially.
:haha::rofl:

Who the fuck told you this? Who made you king of knowledge? You're in the same year as I am. Sit the fuck down mate, we are kids. We don't know shit about the real world yet other than that it is a fuck-ton harder than the HSC.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
:haha::rofl:

Who the fuck told you this? Who made you king of knowledge? You're in the same year as I am. Sit the fuck down mate, we are kids. We don't know shit about the real world yet other than that it is a fuck-ton harder than the HSC.
Uh the fact that I've worked for an IB and talked to people both back and front of house. They told me this.

Also in some Engineering streams eg Chevron tommy.

m8 Macq and UTS have great business programs and churn out Business grads like no tomorrow and most of them do get job.
M8 those aren't IB jobs, they're crappy 40k/year pencil pusher jobs generally.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
If this was actually true, then nobody would to go any UNI that wasn't UNSW/USyd because apparently there is no way they would get a job.

TBH I would rather go to UWS, it be close, I still get the same degree at the end, with a different header, and not travel 2 hours every day to get to UNI.

But that is just me. UNI prestige doesn't mean shit once you are actually in the workforce.

Makdadddy

makdaddy.net
HSC
Depends what degree. Most degrees that lead into grad programs have this as a fact.

Hahahaha, what a stupid thing to say. You are probably one of those that 'fail' socially.

Kralex

HSC
Uh the fact that I've worked for an IB and talked to people both back and front of house. They told me this.

Also in some Engineering streams eg Chevron tommy.

M8 those aren't IB jobs, they're crappy 40k/year pencil pusher jobs generally.

Yeah mate and I'm supposed to believe you?

I can just pull out of my ass that I've worked for SBS and been advised by Professor Alan Knight and he said that he only takes UWS degrees.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
If this was actually true, then nobody would to go any UNI that wasn't UNSW/USyd because apparently there is no way they would get a job.

TBH I would rather go to UWS, it be close, I still get the same degree at the end, with a different header, and not travel 2 hours every day to get to UNI.

But that is just me. UNI prestige doesn't mean shit once you are actually in the workforce.
Yeah they can get jobs. You can get a decent job from any uni. Just not in certain fields that some people wish to undertake.

Hahahaha, what a stupid thing to say. You are probably one of those that 'fail' socially.
hahaha what a stupid person that has no clue what he's talking about because he hasn't seen shit. Fail socially =/= spends a lot of time talking to people in the industry he wishes to undertake.

Yeah mate and I'm supposed to believe you?

I can just pull out of my ass that I've worked for SBS and been advised by Professor Alan Knight and he said that he only takes UWS degrees.
Yeah I could email you my work experience confirmation letter, as well as various emails I have received RE:shadowing bankers. Connections M8.

FOR 99% OF PEOPLE THE UNI YOU GO TO DOESNT MATTER BECAUSE YOU WILL STILL GET A JOB HOWEVER IT MAY NOT BE THE JOB YOU WANT DEPENDING ON THE DEGREE.

E.g. Med - uni doesn't matter, Education, uni doesnt matter, Comm for any field other than IB- uni doesn't matter, Engineering (except in cases like Chevron for Enviro Engineering etc, Law - uni does matter for top tier firms

Etc.

Depending on the degree, it may or may not matter. The point is certain employers indeed do have a stigma about certain unis, and often these employers work in some of the more lucrative and interesting fields.

All dependent on this really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)