B Arts (Digital Technology & Culture) (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey is anyone putting this course as one of their preferences? Do you think the cut-off is going to rise? If you do this course any information would really help :eek:

sallyr

HSC
i'm including it in my prefrences
hoping the cut off goes down though
otherwise, i'm screwed!

gah.

viviena

rawr.
HSC
If it does rise by much, I'll be surprised, as it would look like the name change actually did the course some good. My year was the final one I think before the name change (from B Arts Informatics), and it had 20 people max. Low demand.

Anyway, 2nd-going-on-to-3rd BAI student here. The course structure hasn't changed too much and the website's horrible, so if there's any Qs, shoot.

sallyr

HSC
in a nutshell
what is the course like? lectures etc

the uac guide and usyd website aren't very useful indeed

cheers

viviena

rawr.
HSC
A broad question to answer... your Arts classes will vary, of course.

For ARIN UoS, ARIN1000 is just about the most boring class I've ever done (in the Arts faculty), but the other ARIN classes are much more enjoyable and the lecturers/tutors usually easygoing and approachable, though sometimes disorganised. Some classes are practical, like ARIN 2610, basically a web-design-like class -- if you've done web design or learn quickly, do this one in 2nd semester, 1st year, even though 2nd year is more usual. Other classes are theoretical, such as ARIN 2620, which is somewhat sociological in nature, but more accessible, e.g. one of the lectures looks at The Matrix.

The only INFO/ISYS class you'll do in 1st year is probably INFO1003, a crash course in Office, Javascript, HTML, etc., and leads in very nicely to ARIN 2610 if you've no experience with these things. INFO/ISYS UoS are of course more technical in nature, but the practical bits are tolerable enough. Level of maths is irrelevant, but logical thinking is a plus. INFO2110 and INFO2120, second year units, seemingly jump in difficulty from 1st yr. A lot of B AI/DTC students doing INFO/ISYS find the differences between Arts and INFO/ISYS UoS difficult to overcome -- different types of learning, different types of cultures, different types of people. Imagine going from something such as a history class to studying the intricacies of databases! If you can balance all that, you'll be fine.

One thing pertaining to the course... if you're planning to do only one Arts major, you've nothing to worry about. However, if you're feeling ambitious and planning to do either two Arts majors or one Arts major and a Sci/EconBus major (both with compulsory IS major, of course), plan carefully which UoS you want to do, and when.

Last edited:
HSC
thanks I thought no-one was going to reply.
the new name definitely sounds better.

I don't know much about computers... so it's ok right?

viviena

rawr.
HSC
Yeah, I should think so. As long as you're interested and make an effort, the only thing remotely challenging computer-wise in the 1st year is INFO1003, which has a lot of resources to help you learn. The later INFO/ISYS classes are more theoretical anyway with some memorising.

HSC
I have to say I was pretty surprised this course wasn't really in demand.
I put it in my preferences because I like the Arts part of the degree and am kinda interested in computers. This may sound like a dumb question, but does the arts component take up more of the degree or is it 50/50 or less?
I'm still not sure how course structure works, is all. :eek:

viviena

rawr.
HSC
The arts component usually takes up more of the degree. Of course, if you do different things in the degree, it'll skew things a bit.

Generally, any UoS (which you do for a semester) is 6 credit points, though not always. A BA(DTC) consists of 192 credit points. When you do all the compulsory units to make up your IS major, that's 36 points in that area. You're expected to do at least 72 senior (i.e. not introductory UoS like 1XXX) credit points in Arts, including compulsory ARIN units.

maddiev

HSC
posting to say that i was on the uac site and this course has been cancelled for 2007 :( i'm really upset as this was what i saw as the perfect blend between arts and information tech.. suggestions?

viviena

rawr.
HSC
Wow, that's news to me. Looks like another degree bites the dust...

If you want to do something similar, either do a straight up B Arts, or do a combined degree such as B Sci / B Arts. Both will allow you to do an Information Systems and an Arts major. You should still be able to do Digital Cultures classes as well -- I think the uni's only cancelling the degree, not the major or subject area. Look into both. B Sci / B Arts will give you more flexibility and might allow you to squeeze in a third major, but the downside is that it's five years.

maddiev

HSC
yes i was considering doing straight arts.. don't think i could do b sci though as i haven't done any sciences for hsc... and i don't think 5 years would be feasible.

b arts (dt+c) was still scheduled for a lecture at the open day, so i'm just goig to go and ask lecturers or.. people like that i guess what options i have because i remember reading that some of the units/classes werent avaliable to straight arts students. thankyou so much though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)