B Business B Computing or B Science IT Dip IT Proffessional Prac (1 Viewer)

mercho

B. Of Leisure & Pleasure
HSC
Hey Guys
Getting really confused on what computer courses to apply for at UNI..
Pretty much I want something that has a likely hood of getting me a job after UNI and i would prefer more hardware than software.
Have been looking at
1. B Science in Information Technology Dip Information Technology Professional Practice
2. B Business B Computing
Have also been looking at Syd uni and Wollongong Uni
Any ideas?
brad

fatmuscle

HSC
i'd go for the BScIT/DipITPP based on the face that you want more 'hardware than software'

but until Jase msgs, I won't give any more advice.
jase knows both courses the best!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well let's see what I can say :p.

Well, firstly, if you want a course than concentrates on hardware, then you might want to do the BEng in Computer Systems, as that course will concentrate on hardware. However, being an Engineering degree, it will be harder.

Now, if you are looking for a course which has a greater likelyhood of you getting a job, then pretty much any combined degree will give an an edge over a single degree. So having said that, the BBus/BComp degree will give you more of a chance of getting a job. Mainly because you are technically doing 2 degrees, so you pretty much have the career options of both degrees, as well as careers which require you to have both Business and IT knowledge. If you do the Accounting major in Business, then you pretty much have a good chance of getting a job in one field or another.

Having said that, don't do the BBus/BComp degree if you're not interested in Business. If you're only interested in IT, then the combined degree is not for you, as you won't have much of an interest in it. Only do the combined degree if you like both Business and IT.

The BScIT degree is a pretty good course as well. The job prospects are quite good for this course, as its an IT course related to business and how to apply the stuff you've learnt in businesses. You learn a broad range of IT stuff, like programming, networking, information systems, databases, etc. You learn the same stuff in the combined degree as well. You've also got your DipITPP which is your year of industrial training, which is quite beneficial when you're trying to find a job after you finish.

In my opinion, between USyd and UOW, I'd go with UOW as they have some very good IT courses just like UTS.

So yeh, it all depends what you want to do and where you're interests lie. You can always start off in the combined degree if you want and drop down to the single IT degree after your first year. It's probably easier to go from BBus/BComp to BScIT, rather than the other way around or going to just BBusiness. Transfers are not guaranteed though, so you should try and make the best decision now, and since the UAIs for both courses aren't too different, whichever choice you make, you should hopefully get in.

mercho

B. Of Leisure & Pleasure
HSC
Thanks for the help guys!
Ill probably apply for both but the BScIT sounds like its the best for me...
Also as well as UTS wollongong and Syd uni i have been thining about UNSW and Macquarie UNI...
Any i deas what these are like...
Thanks again for the help guys it has made the decision a bit easier...
By the way Fatmuscle you have helped me this year heaps with your physics summaries :) :) ...thanks

Last edited:

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
UNSW has a great computing faculty, good job prospects and would probably suit your goal to be in hardware. Post in the UNSW forums and someone like McLake will give you a more indepth view of the course.

UNSW, UTS and UOW are generally regarded as having the best IT courses in NSW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)