B Com UNSW transfer vs. B Com USYD transfer (1 Viewer)

Spoken12

HSC
Long story short:

ATAR of 97.95
Want to do B Com first year and then internal transfer into a dual degree of B Com/B Law 2nd year
Question is: Which uni is it easier to do this internal transfer in, USYD or UNSW?

Apparently at UNSW they only look at your WAM and it MUST be 80+ to stand a chance (only top 100 get their transfer accepted), whereas at USYD it's half ATAR (which if you have 97+ like I do, you are competitive) and half WAM, which apparently 75+ becomes competitive... is this accurate/true?

Anyone can comment? Which one is easier and if the above is true? If it's not true, what is your perception?

Also apparently it is easier to score higher marks in UNSW Com than at USYD Com, is this true? And if so, would it then not mitigate the lower WAM needed at USYD?

Help!

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know about USYD transfer program in much detail, but UNSW guarantees 100 spots for transfer and if so, I think that might be easier.

What you said is true regarding ATAR and WAM. UNSW Law says you require a wam of about 80, however, this year they have accepted people with a wam of 76. The faculty believes 80 is what you need, however, it can be lower as they ensure at least 100 students are able to transfer in.

Regarding whether it's easier to score marks in UNSW, I don't think it's true. I think it's equally difficult to get marks at both unis.

RishBonjour

HSC
I posted that exact question a few days ago!
with 97.95, your WAM would probably have to be 80+ (so similar to UNSW).
I spoke to a friendly guy on BOS a few days ago, he said a friend of his made into USYD comm/law with around 98.3 atar and 80.something WAM.
I also spoke to the law information people today, they said 97+ atar would be quite competitive.

The thing I'm confused about is, in UNSW, the selection pool for internal transfer might be larger since your atar doesn't matter (so people with much lower atars would be in the same position as us)
Not sure if thats correct though.

Also, did you always want to do law? or something you recently thought of doing?

Spoken12

HSC
Law has always been an interest of mine.

I guess my question really is just which one is easier to transfer into? A lot of people have said either, there seems to be non general consensus, so quite confused.

Spoken12

HSC
Also UNSW is probably 15-20 mins away by public transport, USYD is about 30-35... so location isn't such a pickle.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
The thing I'm confused about is, in UNSW, the selection pool for internal transfer might be larger since your atar doesn't matter (so people with much lower atars would be in the same position as us)
Not sure if thats correct though.
The pool does get larger as ATAR is no longer a factor where as USYD you need a minimum ATAR of 95. However, your performance in HSC does transition into uni. It is very rare for someone with say an ATAR of say 92 (+5 bonus points and got into Commerce) to get something like 80 average. I am not saying it's impossible but it is rare.

I have friends who got 93 - 97 ATAR and only average like low 70s for Commerce.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Just remembered a lot of the 1st year courses in UNSW Commerce offer free give away marks (easy to get). Assuming it hasn't changed much by Microeconomics 1 gave like either 5 or 10 free marks for doing online quizes (just doing them even if you get 0/10).

RishBonjour

HSC
OP, what did you decide on?
I'm still thinking lol, going to UNSW and USYD now to check out both business schools.

wndid

HSC
Just an insight regarding UNSW internal transfer to law..
My friend with an ATAR of 97ish studied com lib at unsw and transferred into com/law at unsw with a wam of 73ish..
So from what i gather from posts above is that if the quota does exist, the wam required will also fluctuate but obviously not by huge margins.
But having said that, usyd law and unsw law internal transfers do seem very equal, in terms of the workload that is required in 1st yr for a D avg.
So maybe consider the prestige of the degree from both unis. IMO, Law: USyd > UNSW. Commerce: UNSW> USyd. Purely based on public perceptions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)