B Commerce UNSW (1 Viewer)

pranavn94

HSC
Hey guys I'm in year 12 right now and I want to do B Commerce at UNSW majoring in Actuarial Studies. Problem is that I'm only doing Advanced Maths, I was wondering if anyone here is/has doing this major with only Advanced Maths. Thanks!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Pick one, because I don't know what you mean:

Actuarial Studies is a Commerce major. You can't major in Actuarial Studies in an Advanced Mathematics degree.

-or-

You will most likely die in Actuarial if you've only done Mathematics 2 unit. It's hard enough as is, and tons already drop out.

michaeljennings

HSC
Pick one, because I don't know what you mean:

Actuarial Studies is a Commerce major. You can't major in Actuarial Studies in an Advanced Mathematics degree.

-or-

You will most likely die in Actuarial if you've only done Mathematics 2 unit. It's hard enough as is, and tons already drop out.
When OP says Advanced Math he means 2u maths

But yeah I did ext 2 maths and im worried I might not be able to cope with Actuarial

TheStallion

HSC
You'd be fine with only HSC 2U maths as long as you do a bridging course in 3U before uni starts. Then just work really hard at uni for MATH1151/1251 and you'll be fine.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There are people who got 99 in MX2 and have scraped passes in Actuarial.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think some of them truly did, but Actuarial is genuinely a hard subject.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
My cuz tells me Actuarial is pretty hardcore and kept telling me not to even consider it. He's in 4th year at UNSW (Commerce/Economics). He did 4U as well.

delian

HSC
N/A
When OP says Advanced Math he means 2u maths

But yeah I did ext 2 maths and im worried I might not be able to cope with Actuarial
Is the drop out rate for co-op highest in acturial?
anyways, i'm sure you will do fine.

michaeljennings

HSC
Is the drop out rate for co-op highest in acturial?
anyways, i'm sure you will do fine.
No idea, but the Co-op for finance requires students to maintain a high distinction average. For everyone else its Credit average. I dont think dropping out is common with co-op students anyway

and thanks =) good luck to you too!

halapenyo

HSC
No idea, but the Co-op for finance requires students to maintain a high distinction average. For everyone else its Credit average. I dont think dropping out is common with co-op students anyway

and thanks =) good luck to you too!
lol fuck. thats some crazy shit right dere

HSC
Uni Grad
The maths involved in Actuarial is not really utilizing the maths that we learn from the HSC. Instead it consists of more statistics and probability. So hence a lot of students who may have got 99 in MX2 would not do so well in actuarial.

HSC
You'd be fine with only HSC 2U maths as long as you do a bridging course in 3U before uni starts. Then just work really hard at uni for MATH1151/1251 and you'll be fine.
This..., it's all about discipline. Open that textbook/calculus notes/algebra notes and grind through it.

pranavn94

HSC
Yeah I think i'll be doing a bridging course for sure to be on atleast par with everyone else and study incredibly hard in uni LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)