B. Health Sciences/Master of Rehabilitation Counselling (1 Viewer)

grkforlyf

HSC
Hey is anyone doing this course?, it seems very interesting and i would like to ask a few questions about it:

1. Are you guaranteed to be eligible for the masters degree? or do you have to maintain a credit average?

2. Are Rehabilitation Counsellors in demand in the workplace and what is the salary like?

3. Is the course very intense and difficult (especially the masters degree) for a student that got a UAI of 85?

thanks to anyone that replies back :)

brownie44

HSC
Hi
Im not doing rehab counselling but I do health science and some of my friends are doing it. You only need to maintain a credit average for your first year of study, which is common with health science. Its pretty easy to get a credit average for first year (and from what Ive heard, theyre not too picky if people dont get the credit average, I dont think theyve told people they cant do it). In year 2 you then start subjects for the rehab counselling masters and I dont think these subjects are that difficult. Apparently there is quite a demand for rehab counsellors and you shouldnt have too much trouble getting a job at the end. Hope that answered your questions :D

grkforlyf

HSC
Thanks alot for the help
does anyone else have any answers?

helgaaaaa

HSC
hi i'm doing the b health sciences/m rehab counselling (bhs/mrc) at sydney

to answer your questions you technically do need a credit average in the first year but i know someone who failed a subject in first year but still continues the bhs/mrc program...? beats me.

rehab counsellors are in high demand and the salary is quite good, i think upward of $40,000 straight out of uni and that can go up to even $65,000 depending on the employer. you're generally guaranteed employment within 3 months after graduation.

first year is fairly easy as you do the generic health sciences subjects. you may find them extremely boring but try and get distinctions and high distinctions; they'll be the easiest ones you'll get.

in the second year you will begin the rehab counseling component which is a bit more difficult. there's a massive pile of readings so you're constantly reading and writing up assignments. the good thing is that if you choose certain subjects you dont need to be at uni very much (6-8 hours a week). the subjects are fun and interesting, but know that chances are you will be working with people with disabilities so you've got to want to do that.

thats about all i can tell you know because i'm in second year. i think in forth year we do our pracs and theyre generally where we will be employed coming out of uni.

i think you'll be fine getting through the degee and masters just as long as you've got the passion for it, it can be a very rewarding career path.

hope this helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)