B Nursing (1 Viewer)

Khypheneight

HSC
Is it true that this uni is no longer taking in undergraduates for this particular course, the B Nursing or even the B Nursing/B Arts? Why?

Kittycat

HSC
Khypheneight said:
Is it true that this uni is no longer taking in undergraduates for this particular course, the B Nursing or even the B Nursing/B Arts? Why?
Yes, it is true. The course is still there for the people who as already started but will not be taking any school leavers. The only people they are taking in are graduate entry people.
Why? there is alot of reasons. Allow me to give a few:
1. Money: It is very costly to train nurse/doctor/bascially many of the health people
2. Prestigious: or the lack of, they believe that nurses are not prestige enough for them (they don't get rid of med instead of nursing for this reason)
3. ................ well, our education minister never wanted nurses in unis anyway.....
*sign*

Basically, all the B Nursing/B Arts, B Nursing/B science & B Nursing (Indigenous) is gone (though they did accept B Nursing (Indigenous) this year). What a waste.

Last edited:

Khypheneight

HSC
Thanks heaps... that's a shame, oh well, I guess I"m stuck with stupid Uni of Western Sydney... I don't mind, but apparently it's considered really low, but it's the only one within reach that does that course now.

Thanks again for the answers.

Kittycat

HSC
Actually, Uni of Western Sydney's nursing is not that bad I heard... well, except now they have strict testing..... :(. Apparently, if you fail your CPA the first time, you can't redo it again or something. I think UTS has the best nursing course though. They do alot of pracs. Seriously, if you want to do nursing, go for UTS first.

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Sydney university was completley and utterly shithouse for nursing as it was, it was good they got rid of the useless degree. Nurses told me that Sydney University was the worst uni in the state for Nursing - they care only of money, and the pracs and completley usless too. There was a reason it had one of the lowest UAIs in the state, you know. Nobody wanted to go there apart for the prestige. And those who are truly interested in nursing know prestige will not get you far.

UTS is considered the best by far in Sydney, however UWS also has a pretty decent rep. CSU is exellent, has a great name in Australia and O/S - it's the place to go if you want to work outside a metro centre - as half their pracs are conducted in the Central West, and the other half you choose the location. Lectures usually have contacts all over australia and o/s. I'm planning on going to the Kimberly in my 3rd year, and one of my lectures has a whole heap of contacts that will allow me to do remote area nursing.

UTS is great in name, and the course from what i've been told is demanding (which is good - nursing is not an easy degree) however I'd look at where you want to do you pracs - UTS uses Northern Sydney and I think you have an option of choosing one prac in 3rd year, wereas at CSU they allow you to pick you prac location from semester 2 2nd year onwards. Thats about 6 pracs, I believe. CSU also combined more than international studies, which it UTS double degree. Options are:

Nursing/Critical Care (Paramedic) At Bathurst campus <-- awesome degree btw.
Early Childhood Education/Nursing at Bathurst
Nursing/Midwifery at Wagga Wagga Campus

Opens up alot of options.

Personally, I'm first year straight nursing, however am planning on applying for the enrolled nurse program at Orange or Dubbo base, as it gives me alot of hands on experience and allows me to work for my final two years --> Orange and Dubbo both have CSU campuses, or I can go DE. Thats another option, apply for the enrolled nurse program through a local area health service, it takes 12 months and then allows you to enter 2nd year at Uni.

Thats another point about CSU -- it's very flexible, esspecially within the school of nursing/public health.

Good luck either way,.

Kittycat

HSC
White Rabbit said:
Sydney university was completley and utterly shithouse for nursing as it was, it was good they got rid of the useless degree. Nurses told me that Sydney University was the worst uni in the state for Nursing - they care only of money, and the pracs and completley usless too. There was a reason it had one of the lowest UAIs in the state, you know. Nobody wanted to go there apart for the prestige. And those who are truly interested in nursing know prestige will not get you far.
Hey!! I go to USyd nursing I don't care about the money!! :mad: That is not completely true, though I have to say, I am doing alot of useless crap. The course itself isn't exactly useless & bad.... I mean, wat about the B Nursing (indigenous) course .... I heard that was good..... It doesn't have the lowest uai, uws has.
Oh okay, I have to admit, nursing at USyd is certainly not the best, we have to do a few subjects that will make you go 'WAT THE F**K!! Y AM I WASTING MY MONEY ON THAT!?!' There is alot of flews in the course & that it certainly needs a lot of improvements but there is no need to get rid of it.
..... White Rabbit, please tell me it is not true that worst.... *begs* (me just hoping that I am not at the wrong uni). But White Rabbit is right, UTS is pretty good.

Oh yeah, I heard some where that it is better to go in to the course 1st yr, despite having an Enrolled nurse degree under the belt. Not sure why or how it is better to start in 1st yr instead of 2nd... I am not making any sense am I? Okey, I shut up

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LOL, thats what I've been told from Nurses in the Industry. Not only is much of the course irrellivent and you guys dont get enough prac time, the University itself doesn't give a shit sbout producing quality nurses, they too only care from the money. Nursing isn't prestegious, and as such, the don't care what happens. I mean, this is what I've been told. Nurses in Sydney say UTS is the place to go, with UWS second. The Gong also does Nursing, but I've heard nothing really, about the course itself, other than it is easier than our BN ;) UWS may have a lower cut off (USYD is the second lowest though) but it is because it's UWS, not because of the course. They also offer more places than USYD.

I was planning on going to UTS Kuring-Gai to being with, my UAI was high enough but I opted for CSU instead because they are alot more flexible, I had more opportunity to pick my own prac placements and it focused on Rural and Remote Nursing, UTS unfortunatly doesn't. CSU also has a great interational name for nursing, it's pretty much on par with UTS, just it's offered in rural towns/cities.

Just apply for a transfer for 3rd year, LOL. But either way, you'll always have a job regardless of your university, just Nurses tend to agree UTS offers a far superior course, wereas USYD focus too much on theory and making bucks.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
USyd developed and introduced a new course of study just last year... until they found out the course is being shut down. I love the Nursing course at USyd, cause it's focused on producing research and academic nurses more then practical nurses ( which is good and bad ) but I'm at least enjoying my course. The UTS course is in your face Nursing right from the beginning and much harder to grasp at first then say USyd's nursing.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
You need practical nurses though. Nursing is a very hands on career and theory doesn't get you far if you want to work as a Nurse, rather than in research. You need Practical work, because a majority of theory work just doesn't cut it in out field.

Thats my opinion atleast, and why nurses I've spoken to aren't a fan of USYD nursing grads.

Kittycat

HSC
White Rabbit said:
LOL, thats what I've been told from Nurses in the Industry. Not only is much of the course irrellivent and you guys dont get enough prac time, the University itself doesn't give a shit sbout producing quality nurses, they too only care from the money. Nursing isn't prestegious, and as such, the don't care what happens.
Just apply for a transfer for 3rd year, LOL. But either way, you'll always have a job regardless of your university, just Nurses tend to agree UTS offers a far superior course, wereas USYD focus too much on theory and making bucks.
lol. well, sure, there is some irrellivent stuff but alot of the course is actually rellivent. Yes, we don't get as much prac time as we like but we get lots of opporunities to practice ... on dummies.
nah, I am happy at USyd.... except for the travel time...

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
hahaha, fairy nough, as long as your happy.

Where do you live, and where do you want to work once you've finished your degree?

Kittycat

HSC
:D I live nearly an hr by train away from the city. in total, it takes me nearly 1.5 hrs to get to uni ... like one way. oh the joy.... really, maybe I should have done nursing in uws or uts - city campus (at least at uts, I will save the bus tickets)
Don't know where I want to work yet. I am thinking of becoming a nun afterwards & work in a missionary in some 3rd world country. .... (somehow, I doubt I can survive the life) ...
What about you white rabbit (or anyone who is reading this)?
U like ur course white rabbit? Hows it going?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
lol yeah pracs at uts *faints*
i have to wake up at 4.30 to get there ontime for my shift :(

Kittycat

HSC
dark`secrets said:
lol yeah pracs at uts *faints*
i have to wake up at 4.30 to get there ontime for my shift :(
ouch!! I hate early mornings.

transcendent said:
bahaha! you! a nun! with your personality! BEST. JOKE. EVAR!
transcendent, you should be locked up for the safety of the world. You are a danger, really you are. Evil bum.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Kittycat said:

transcendent, you should be locked up for the safety of the world. You are a danger, really you are. Evil bum.

crazy.. then again my shifts are like 5hr ones and my hosp only does morn shifts.
lol lengy im glad you are enjoying your course :)

Khypheneight

HSC
Kittycat said:
Actually, Uni of Western Sydney's nursing is not that bad I heard... well, except now they have strict testing..... :(. Apparently, if you fail your CPA the first time, you can't redo it again or something. I think UTS has the best nursing course though. They do alot of pracs. Seriously, if you want to do nursing, go for UTS first.
Sorry, I know, I was just angry because evey time I tell someone that I'm going to UWS they look at me like, why there? You know? But I'm hoping to go there to do nursing, so yeah. Can't wait.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Kittycat said:

aww i know how much you love me, no need to testify. next time i see you i'll give you a big hug to cheer you up queen of the underworld.

*sends all his <3 to darky :p

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
a friend of mine's sister does nursing at parra's uws and apparently they've only just started their clinicals, while we (UTS peeps) have started since week of uni. Of course we couldnt do much the first time we went (just stuff like introduction and stuff). Then again as the weeks went on you learn how to thier ADLs.

*kisses to lengy *blushes* :$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)