B. Nursing (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
So, who here is a nursing student? I've noticed a fair few, and thought what they hell aye?

I'm at 1st year at CSU and don't think I've had so many shots in 2 months before....Tetnus yesterday and my arm hurts. alot.

Just curious, anyone who has done the enrolled nurses program, I'm think of applying and defering Uni while I do it.. would you say it was worth it? I'd just prefer alot more practical experience and the money and guarenteed job sounds marvelous, especially in Bathurst, where jobs are kinda hard. Planning on applying for Orange Base, or Dubbo Base. (Bathurst Base is a terrible, terrible hospital. If you get sick in Bathurst, drive to Orange.)

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
*points to sig :D*
im doing first year at uts hahaha i still need to take another chickie pox shot :p
i dont know you can always apply for AIN during uni and the holidays. The pay isnt all that bad, im in no hurry to get a job.
i was wondering whether you have started your clinicals yet?

Kittycat

HSC
White Rabbit said:
So, who here is a nursing student? I've noticed a fair few, and thought what they hell aye?

I'm at 1st year at CSU and don't think I've had so many shots in 2 months before....Tetnus yesterday and my arm hurts. alot.

Just curious, anyone who has done the enrolled nurses program, I'm think of applying and defering Uni while I do it.. would you say it was worth it? I'd just prefer alot more practical experience and the money and guarenteed job sounds marvelous, especially in Bathurst, where jobs are kinda hard. Planning on applying for Orange Base, or Dubbo Base. (Bathurst Base is a terrible, terrible hospital. If you get sick in Bathurst, drive to Orange.)
Nah, just stick with the B Nursing for now, you can always go for the AIN, PCA or CSE work. If you really want to, you can do it and start in 2nd yr but I heard that some people who has done is now regreting it & saying that they should have started 1st yr (don't ask me y becuz I don't noe)
Why is Bathurst Hospital so bad? I was considering going there for one of my placements.

dark`secrets said:
*points to sig :D*
im doing first year at uts hahaha i still need to take another chickie pox shot :p
i dont know you can always apply for AIN during uni and the holidays. The pay isnt all that bad, im in no hurry to get a job.
i was wondering whether you have started your clinicals yet?
Whoa man, me jealous, I wanted to go to UTS.
Yeah, the pay isn't too bad depends on where you go. Most hospitals will not accept U/G nurses until they have finished 1st semester of 2nd yr (though some is willing to accept those who has just finished their 1st year though they are rare... Bankstown Hospital accept people who has finish their 1st semester 1st yr). You can always work in an aged care facility.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Kittycat said:
Whoa man, me jealous, I wanted to go to UTS.
Yeah, the pay isn't too bad depends on where you go. Most hospitals will not accept U/G nurses until they have finished 1st semester of 2nd yr (though some is willing to accept those who has just finished their 1st year though they are rare... Bankstown Hospital accept people who has finish their 1st semester 1st yr). You can always work in an aged care facility.

yeah one of my friend is already starting to apply for it at bankstown. another friend and i are applying after at livo though.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
yeah? I know at least for CSU AIN qualifications come once you have completed NRS125. which is a 1st year subject.

Bathurst Base is a horrible hospital. People are mean and nasty and the hospitak it self is danergous. If you want prac is the central wex\st, go to Orange Base, much nicer IMO.

Kittycat

HSC
Hey, I am trying to go for Livo too dark secret. It is a pretty god hospital :). If we get jobs there, maybe we will meet.
I applied to RPA for now, though it is abit far from where I live.

White Rabbit said:
Bathurst Base is a horrible hospital. People are mean and nasty and the hospitak it self is danergous
lol, sounds abit like RPA & RHS. I hear that the nursing stuff there is nasty & mean (though I wouldn't know because I have never been there myself). Danger? I laugh in the face of danger!! (oh okay, watched the Lion King too many times) ignore me
White Rabbit said:
Lol the Tetnus shot is one of the 'kind' shots. It doesn't hurt as bad as some of the other shots I had, and they are hell.

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Shots are kinda fun, I just got the tetnus shot about 4 hours before my BMS mid session exam.. ;)

Bathurst Base..well, the Hospital is actually pretty danergous. I know a few people who have been into Emergency and haven't been helped at all, when they clearly needed help. The Hospital tends to look down on Uni students too, think that anything that happens is our own fault. I know of a bloke who, as a child, contracted Golden Staph from a tissue his mum used to wipe away some blood after he sliped over. Spred through his leg and he now has lost pretty much all mobility of his leg. It's little horror stories like that that go around.

That said, I'm applying for work there as an AIN, so I can tell exaclty how bad it is if you get the job ;)

Orange Base Hospital, however is used as a teaching hospital by Sydney unis too, and because of that, the facilitators are generally very nice and helpful. They're use to students and don't treat you like a dickhead. The hospital it self has just been done up, and it's just a nice place. I have prac there in a week, if my crim clearance comes back in time ;)

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
First yr @ Monash Gippsland.
Re: shots ... I've only had the Hep B (ouch!!) go back for the second shot this Friday.
Don’t start placements until approx. mid July - have considered 3 hospitals for my placement - either:
Sandringham - http://www.sdmh.org.au/
Frankston - http://www.phcn.vic.gov.au/services/frankstonhosp/
Dandenong - http://www.southernhealth.org.au/dndhosp.htm
Was thinking about Monash Medical Centre ( http://www.southernhealth.org.au/mmc.htm & http://www.southernhealth.org.au/mmcpi.htm), but alas, its not listed as one of the available healthcare venues for 1st years.

Anyway, its been great so far. Love the vital signs lab/s. Been taking BP only most of my family members too ;).

Kittycat

HSC
White Rabbit said:
Shots are kinda fun, I just got the tetnus shot about 4 hours before my BMS mid session exam.. ;)

Bathurst Base..well, the Hospital is actually pretty danergous. I know a few people who have been into Emergency and haven't been helped at all, when they clearly needed help. The Hospital tends to look down on Uni students too, think that anything that happens is our own fault. I know of a bloke who, as a child, contracted Golden Staph from a tissue his mum used to wipe away some blood after he sliped over. Spred through his leg and he now has lost pretty much all mobility of his leg. It's little horror stories like that that go around.

That said, I'm applying for work there as an AIN, so I can tell exaclty how bad it is if you get the job ;)

Orange Base Hospital, however is used as a teaching hospital by Sydney unis too, and because of that, the facilitators are generally very nice and helpful. They're use to students and don't treat you like a dickhead. The hospital it self has just been done up, and it's just a nice place. I have prac there in a week, if my crim clearance comes back in time ;)
lol there is too many horror stories that goes around.
I hate hospitals and staffs that refuses to help new coming students. Honestly, can't they remember their first day? It is always good to have helpful people to assist you in learning. How did your exam go by the way? Did the shot help :D?

bluesky100 said:
Anyway, its been great so far. Love the vital signs lab/s. Been taking BP only most of my family members too ;).
lol family are always there for us to test & practice on. They are our guinea pigs

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
During our first lecture they told us that in second year we can apply to the nurses registration board to become enrolled nurses because the enrolled nurses course is basically what we cover in the 1st year.

Kittycat

HSC
Really? wow, I wasn't told that.... maybe I should try it. Anyone tried to do it yet?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
yeah they did tell us that..
prince of wales was looking for AIN.
saw it on those career one websites.

Kittycat

HSC
dark`secrets said:
yeah they did tell us that..
prince of wales was looking for AIN.
saw it on those career one websites.
yea saw the ad too. RPA and Fairfield was looking for AINs but they are finished already.
White Rabbit said:
I've got a whole dorm to practice on! ;)
lol I am sure they are happy to be your victim

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Kittycat said:
yea saw the ad too. RPA and Fairfield was looking for AINs but they are finished already.

really? :p
but urm.. i still cant do it until i finish first year :p
ffld would have beeeeen soooo much closer than where i do prac.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)