B Sc (Advanced Mathematics) (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
So stats would be the most decent major or best option offered for adv maths at unsw?
Its very good for industry and most likely to get you a job without doing more shit

@ShadowDude

Mathematical analysis, which mathematicians refer to simply as analysis, has its beginnings in the rigorous formulation of infinitesimal calculus. It is a branch of pure mathematics that includes the theories of differentiation, integration and measure, limits, infinite series, and analytic functions.

Deathless

HSC
No its hot.

Most maths jobs require honours apart from the ones pretty much any graduate from a physical science can apply for. Ontop of this many institutions allow you to graduate with a maths major when you do fuck all (i.e. at UWA if you know triple integrals and gradients you have a maths major.)

As said before quant risk is dumb and won't get you a job.

If you are considering an undergraduate maths degree by itself you should be doing as much analysis as possible then you can do honours in whatever you want - your 3 year degree is jus building foundations it doesn't give you fuck all to become employable compared to an engineer, chemist or physist (unless you major in stats.)
But it sure ain't 99% of the time.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Looks like i may be seeing you around shadowdude

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Awesome. We be croosin' with our boomboxes high like a boss =P

Thanks Studentleader, so it's... analysis of data essentially. Okay.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
But it sure ain't 99% of the time.
Are you saying it wont get you a job 99% of the time? yeah that sounds about right.

There are people who do hons and get jobs in quant stuff but its really dumbed down

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So many branches of mathematics, so little time...

So stats is best for getting a job though pure (and the analysis bit) is good for all-round knowledge?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

So stats is best for getting a job though pure (and the analysis bit) is good for all-round knowledge?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

do stats if you want a job, do pure maths if you dont think you are smart and do applied maths because you didnt get into engineering

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do pure maths if you don't think you're smart... how so?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I don't think I'm that smart. I'll just take as many pure units as I can for bragging rights then, I suppose? =P

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Well, I don't think I'm that smart. I'll just take as many pure units as I can for bragging rights then, I suppose? =P
yup and come across as a philosophy student with the employability of a woman's studies one

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I've heard a lot about women's studies... but seriously - what is exactly... studied?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Most employers don't really care what degree you do as long as you have done well in it. Doing a pure maths degree can lead to great career prospects as it proves you can think quantitatively. Mathematicians can work in such a wide variety of fields.

Also pure maths has plenty of applications to the real world and statisticians don't just enter numbers into a database.
This.

Mathematicians in my opinion have much more diverse employability areas than most other disciplines because mathematics is used in such a wide variety of areas. Anything that requires modelling will require a mathematician. This includes banking, environmental research, gaming software, meteorology, mining, consulting, trading, defence,....etc.

Employers are often impressed with people who have done mathematics majors (especially pure) because they have superior quantitative skills and problem solving skills. It's not so much the theory you learn they are concerned with, but more of the skills you have acquired in learning it. A lot of pure mathematics majors I know have gone into areas like trading because unlike most 'typical' commerce students, they have the capacity to handle complex financial instruments like exotic derivative securities.

A pure mathematician I know of who works at trading at an investment bank who visited uni last year for a careers session actually made a very interesting point about modelling which I think is worth sharing. He said that people who are real mathematicians understand exactly where a model comes from (i.e. its derivation) and therefore know when it works and when it fails. They are able to develop new models to suit the circumstances where the original model fails. People who lack this mathematical grounding (i.e. the 'typical' commerce student...no offence btw) usually just plug the numbers into this model without really knowing what it does and the moment the model does fail, they struggle to understand why it did fail and are unable to develop a new model.

Also, statisticians do not just enter numbers in a database (that's something that TAFE level accountants often do). They also do modelling, examine the quality of data, determine the methods of sampling and make inferences. There is a lot of variety in what they do. If you search up the methodologies used by the ABS, you'll find there is a lot of sophistication in the data analysis depending on the context of the data itself.

Last edited:

deterministic

HSC
A pure mathematician I know of who works at trading at an investment bank who visited uni last year for a careers session actually made a very interesting point about modelling which I think is worth sharing. He said that people who are real mathematicians understand exactly where a model comes from (i.e. its derivation) and therefore know when it works and when it fails. They are able to develop new models to suit the circumstances where the original model fails. People who lack this mathematical grounding (i.e. the 'typical' commerce student...no offence btw) usually just plug the numbers into this model without really knowing what it does and the moment the model does fail, they struggle to understand why it did fail and are unable to develop a new model.
QFT

This is fundamental in constructing models in any scenario.

Also, it is easier for a mathematician to gain business knowledge through experience, than for a "typical" commerce student to gain strong quantitative skills.

nrlwinner

HSC
Can someone tell me what the core components/courses of Commerce/Adv maths is at UNSW.

I can't find then anywhere.

deterministic

HSC
^Obviously not looking hard enough

Search "commerce/adv maths unsw" in google

nrlwinner

HSC
Yeah I did and I'm looking at the handbook. But it doesn't tell me what courses I need to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)