B science (advanced mathematics) (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Why do it at Sydney? Do it at UNSW - it's better, according to... the Good Uni Guide 2011!

As a UNSW lecturer said today, "The Bible". See, iSplicer...?

alex13

HSC
is it beneficial doing an advanced maths degree with a bcom (major of actuarial studies)?? im tossing up between that and combined science(maths)/commerce(actuarial)
im just not sure about doing adv maths, purely because of the extra time needed for the honours year - especially as im interested in gaining actuarial work when i graduate so im not sure whether it will be that useful
will prospective employers be more enticed if i did do advanced maths degree?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, yes - unless your majors are Quantiative Risk + Actuarial. That's just doing the same thing.

cyl123

HSC
is it beneficial doing an advanced maths degree with a bcom (major of actuarial studies)?? im tossing up between that and combined science(maths)/commerce(actuarial)
im just not sure about doing adv maths, purely because of the extra time needed for the honours year - especially as im interested in gaining actuarial work when i graduate so im not sure whether it will be that useful
will prospective employers be more enticed if i did do advanced maths degree?
I'm currently doing com(actuarial)/sci(maths) and I can tell you there is no significant different coursework to com/adv maths. You can choose the same courses as anyone doing advance maths. In fact, you can get 3 majors (actuarial, maths and stats) if you do com/sci, which is great especially since you dont want to do honours. Also, if you change your mind about honours, you can just do an extra honours year on top of a com/sci degree. Also, you dont have to do SCIF, which is a pointless subject, unlike people doing adv maths. I recommend definitely doing com/sci over com/adv maths.

alex13

HSC
I'm currently doing com(actuarial)/sci(maths) and I can tell you there is no significant different coursework to com/adv maths. You can choose the same courses as anyone doing advance maths. In fact, you can get 3 majors (actuarial, maths and stats) if you do com/sci, which is great especially since you dont want to do honours. Also, if you change your mind about honours, you can just do an extra honours year on top of a com/sci degree. Also, you dont have to do SCIF, which is a pointless subject, unlike people doing adv maths. I recommend definitely doing com/sci over com/adv maths.
thanks so much! that really helped
yehh im going to go for com/science now

HSC
Uni Grad
is it possible you could choose your 3rd major from a different field like humanities/social sciences or can you only just choose from the science or business section?

cyl123

HSC
is it possible you could choose your 3rd major from a different field like humanities/social sciences or can you only just choose from the science or business section?
No, as the 3 majors actuarial maths and stats is possible due to the fact many core courses for the 3 majors overlap (courtesy of agreements between school of maths and school of business), allowing you to have enough units left to complete the 3 majors. it is not possible to do actuarial, maths with another commerce major either.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Why do it at Sydney? Do it at UNSW - it's better, according to... the Good Uni Guide 2011!

As a UNSW lecturer said today, "The Bible". See, iSplicer...?
IF THAT GOD DAMN BOOK TOLD YOU TO JUMP OFF A BRIDGE WOULD YOU DO IT?!?!?

JK I just love the atmosphere at Sydney. Everytime I go to UNSW it's always raining so maybe it's a sign

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
IF THAT GOD DAMN BOOK TOLD YOU TO JUMP OFF A BRIDGE WOULD YOU DO IT?!?!?

JK I just love the atmosphere at Sydney. Everytime I go to UNSW it's always raining so maybe it's a sign
A sign that no-one at UNSW likes you? Something tells me that it should rain everywhere you go.

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
I would reckon engineering would be considered harder than maths ( even advanced maths ). Engineering is a much wider field and requires you to gain knowledge of both theory and practical side of things. Being 100% honest, maths is just maths, alot of theory and little practical skills required, in engineering you actually have to build stuff to solve problems for assignments and such, I dont think it would be too hard doing advanced maths, it would mostly likely just get boring after a while

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I'm not interested in the TSP or High Performers stuff... still, my combined 165 doesn't take into account the fact I was out of study for two months during the HSC year. So I don't really mind about those things. But thanks for reminding me of that! I remember reading that and I wasn't sure if it was Sydney or UNSW who had that recommendation.

jaychouf4n

HSC
It's a Science degree with honours. Ironically, less flexible than straight science.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I suppose if you know what you want to do - that shouldn't be too much of a problem, right? (I'm not sure, please educate me if I'm wrong)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Well, I suppose if you know what you want to do - that shouldn't be too much of a problem, right? (I'm not sure, please educate me if I'm wrong)
Advanced courses in maths are better for people who want to do stuff like phsyics where they want to leanr the maths but not take 20 units in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)