B Science (1 Viewer)

Student246

HSC
After completing a bachelor of science can you enrol in any other course.. example electrical engineering?

Does it depend on UAI. If so, how much?

Also what marks do you need for B Science.. and what if you have previous university studies?

Thanks

piitb

HSC
yes u may enroll in engineering after ANY degree, whether u can or not, would depend on your GPA no longer your UAI.

what marks u need for B.Sci? look up UAC handbook - anywhere from 55 to 95.

if u tell us a bit more about your situation maybe we can help u better

Last edited:

intuiit

HSC
N/A
Hi... you really should be looking at your desired university's website for information on course requirements...

usually they look at how many units of engineering-relevant study you did during the b. sci.

Hope I help. And check out the uni website.

piitb

HSC
ok i read a few of your previous posts, let me get this right

1. you finished HSC in 04
2. you went to usyd engineering and failed and got booted out

and based upon that you have a very low GPA, precluding you from being accepted into any other courses.

you can try do the STAT exam this year to be considered for late round applicants. but hurry, closing is in 2 weeks. and check the UAC handbook which engineering courses can accept the STAT exam alone for entry.

if you do apply for an engineering course, dont bother with USYD, as if u do go back there, your transcript would look awefull with all those fails, best u just restart your degree at another university, i think UTS is pretty damm good for engineering.

having said that, why did you fail for in the first place, was it too hard, not enough work, do you think u are cut out to go to u uni and complete the engineering course without any further fails?

i've seen lots of people at university who i feel for, because i can see there is no hope of them completing the degree, well not without a bunch of fails to their names and taking 5 years for a 3 year degree, which would pretty much be useless for employment purposes.

Last edited:

Student246

HSC
Thanks for the replies
I am still in engineering. I just have some fears.

I did a different course before I did Engineering.. But I really want to do engineering now.

Student246

HSC
I have some more questions

Does the UAI still count..50/50 UAI/Uni marks?

If I did not go to uni straight after high school, if I did not go for 3 years would they still let me in with my UAI alone? what is the max ? 3 years ?(I just made up the number 3 so noone get worried)

Also if I fail a unit of study and repeat it again and pass will the pass grade be included in the gpa and not the fail grade?

Thanks

Last edited:

spence

HSC
Student246 said:
Also if I fail a unit of study and repeat it again and pass will the pass grade be included in the gpa and not the fail grade?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure both the fail and the pass are counted

piitb

HSC
why dont u tell us your situation and what your goals and objectives are instead of all these "if this" and "if that"

structure your questions so its not asking 10 questions in 1 sentence, then people here maybe able to help u better

Student246

HSC
I am doing electrical engineering but I am afraid I may not complete it if I get a Weighted Average Mark of less than 50, 3 or 4 times.

Also what I am more afraid of is the treatise I have to do for that.

I was just thinking I should have not started uni without being prepared to be more disciplined.

What I want to do if I can not complete electrical engineering is to transfer to B Science and become a teacher. But I reall really would rather be an engineer. I think I can do it with more discipline and time. I want to transfer to teacher just before they kick me out which is why I think it sucks that they would take my fail grade and pass grade together, that seems mean and unnecessary.

What else I want to do is go to a different university and start all over again but I only want to do that when I gave the first uni a full go.

If I go to another course for just 1 year will they take just those marks and my UAI? What are the ways a person can start another course he wants to do from scratch without having to do a four year course which he does not want to do before he chooses one he wants to do? Because what if I fail again in the course I was born capable to do?

If I was not growing older I would not complain.

Last edited:

piitb

HSC
Student246 said:
I am doing electrical engineering but I am afraid I may not complete it if I get a Weighted Average Mark of less than 50, 3 or 4 times.

Also what I am more afraid of is the treatise I have to do for that.

I was just thinking I should have not started uni without being prepared to be more disciplined.

What I want to do if I can not complete electrical engineering is to transfer to B Science and become a teacher. But I reall really would rather be an engineer. I think I can do it with more discipline and time. I want to transfer to teacher just before they kick me out which is why I think it sucks that they would take my fail grade and pass grade together, that seems mean and unnecessary.

What else I want to do is go to a different university and start all over again but I only want to do that when I gave the first uni a full go.

If I go to another course for just 1 year will they take just those marks and my UAI?

How can they stop someone from doing what they really want to do and what they were born capable with.

If I was not growing older I would not complain.

firstly you may want to consider if engineering is for you, ok you may end up getting your engineering degree with fails in the first year, then you scrape all passes for the remaining 4 years. how would that look to a potential employer? you need a lot more than just a pass average if you are to get a decent job in engineering (any course for that matter)

i think u can always get into B.Sci no matter what your GPA/UAI is.

like many people have said, you can do the Stat exam, some unis will look at that solely. do some research on the STAT exam, advantage is that it only takes one day to do, and u dont really need to study much/at all for it.

alternatively if you stuff up engineering and your GPA, u may take a year to do the TPC. (though that takes a year to do and time is money)

alternatively you can take a year and do a course at tafe ~ you could do something related towards your new teaching degree at tafe.

alternatively there are pre-university prep programs run by UNSW (and i think Usyd, UTS has them too) graduate from that (and it is very very easy) and you can pretty much get into any course u want. (except medicine, optometry, dentistry, pharmacy)

then there are mature age schemes. where you list your achievements, work experience etc and they will assess mainly whether you are capable/motivated enough to complete the course.

then there are a few distance education providers that have pretty easy entry requirements, i think deakin and CSU are known for their distance education programs.

i suggest what you need to do is go buy the UAC handbook from the newsagent and read each and every universities entry schemes.

there are heaps of alternative entry schemes other than the UAI and the GPA.

good luck

Last edited:

Student246

HSC
No decent jobs for pass average? what if I have work experience. Will they hire me for many internships once I graduate?

Looks like im stuffed. I am working hard. But I know I can work harder.

piitb

HSC
for any degree the larger firms requires u at least a cr average just to make the interview stage. they are not going to interview those who got a PS average. just too many.

they set the bar high, there are more than enough applicants already who have cr above averages.

smaller firms they dont worry about grades as much, so long as u have a degree and not too many fails then u can get a job, and experience is also very important. (and no working at your local restaurant does not count so dont even bother putting that in your resume)

Student246

HSC
What if I get intern experience and can do the jobs other people can do? is university really the only thing large firms look at? what if I have work experience? is there any short courses I can do?

do the small firms teach you enough skills to be a good enginer? thereby being satisfied with growing as an engineer? or will you not be able to learn more knowledge unless you get a job with a larger firm?

are there many small firms?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)