B Speech Pathology or B Health Sciences? (1 Viewer)

ThreeOne

HSC
Okay, so I want to do Speech Pathology which of course requires a Masters degree no matter which of the two undergrad courses I choose. If I do B Health Sciences then a Masters in Speech Pathology would I be disadvantaged in being able to get a clinical job as compared to a person who did the Bachelor of Speech Pathology in terms of competency? Would it be easier to get a clinical job if I do B Speech Pathology instead?

Begbie4017

HSC
Im not sure you are right.If you do B.Speech Pathology at Sydney (4years) you are qualified as a speech pathologist.
You can also do B Speech & Hearing Science at Macq or Syd then do Masters and be speech pathologist (I am first yr at MqUni Speech & Hearing ).If you did B Health Science you would possibly not qualify for masters you may need to do qualifying year of linguistics, stats,psych etc Both pathways leave you on equal footing as far as employment goes according to Speech pathology Australia.

Skeeta

HSC
If you do B. Applied Science (Speech Pathology) at Sydney Uni, you graduate as a qualified speech pathologist. You dont need to do masters.

In my opinion, you would be better off doing the straight undergraduate degree, in four years you're done.. Then afterwards you can do a Masters, if you feel the need. Its especially risky to do the B. Health Science then Masters route, because well.. You just might not get in. I also dont think doing a two year Speech Specific masters degree will benefit you more than a four year undergraduate one.

me-mfhs

HSC
Uni Grad
Im in first year speech path and my friends who are doing masters say it will be easier for them to get a job later. the bad side is, when you do your 3rd year (if your doing masters) you have to do clinical (like treating a client etc.) by YOURSELF without a supporting 4th year to help you - so basically your on your own. But if you're doing B.speech path, in 2nd year you're paired up with a 4th year.
but im only 1st year so I dont really know much heheh ^_^

nqr

HSC
N/A
^ I wouldn't say it's easier to get a job if you qualified via the Masters vs the Bachelor degree. Both are equivalent as they are a primary qualification. Some employees might actually be prejudiced against Masters graduates, as they have less clinical experience and only spent 2 years studying speech pathology rather than 4. Also, they may feel threatened that the applicant has a 'higher' (by name) qualification than they do with a Bachelor degree.

SpeechieKeen

HSC
Spot on from what I've heard! I'm a fourth year student and very very few of my supervisors have said they prefer Masters students. Most prefer Bachelor's students, because they have a much more thorough theoretical grounding, and more clinical experience. The only argument I have heard in favour of the Masters students is that they have more 'life experience', and so are more mature, better self starters etc.

Also, to confirm what other posters have been saying, you definitely do NOT need a masters to become a Speech Pathologist. There are dual pathways into the profession - this means that you cam qualify as a Speech Pathologist either by completing a Bachelor of Speech Pathology (or equivalent) or a graduate entry Master of Speech Pathology.

me-mfhs

HSC
Uni Grad
^ eheheh yeah you're right >.< I'm in second year now, and yeah it doesn't matter if you're masters or bachleor degree ^_^ awks thats what I learnt off tricia told us last year sometime >.< yep! so ignore my first post hahahaha!

*studies for exams* LOL ekk! I'm scared about neuro LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)