Bachelor Medical Science (1 Viewer)

Linda N

HSC
N/A
Do you think studying medical science at UWS is beneficial? I mean... for those who want to transfer to a different uni in the second year.

Although the UAI is very less than UNSW and USyd but some topics studied are common. I'd prefer doing Bachelor of Science in the first year.

tennille

HSC
If you are applying for a job, it really wouldn't matter what uni you go to. They teach similar things. Most people think UWS is crap because it's located in the Western suburbs. If someone did B Med Sci at UWS and did a year of honours, and someone else just studied B Med Sci at UNSW or U Syd, then who would get the job. It's the degree that matters, not the uni. Even if they did the similar degree, they can't just hire a person who went to U Syd with the reason being "u syd is better". <--- My dad told me this (who is a manager). I used to think the same as other people, hence, my first eight preferences are at the so-called "good" unis.

If you're not sure, do B Sci instead of Med Sci. That's what I put down. Atleast if you go really well in B Sci, you can transfer to Med Sci. :p

klh

HSC
why do year 12? ALways tafe, dont waste time either.

I have seriously considered transferring from UWS but steered away from it. UWS in nice, close to home, good lecturers and nice atmosphere.
Some other factors include that although my gpa is average-high, my uai is low and thus i cant do transfer-be a waste of money with such a low uai.
2. well rumours, and the conduct of some students on this forum, UTS is known to be 'business like' about teaching and USYd are snobs. Ofcourse i am not saying this, it came from another mouth.

Rest assured that a UWS degree will teach you all the necessary skills you need to know to get work. Once in a movie: we must judge people only by what their individual charecteristics.
UWS cannot be handing out degrees, it has to pass a number of tests by a board (sorta like the board of studies in HS) to be able to offer courses.

Last edited:
L

Liz N

Yep. Various people said go to tafe but theres aren't any particular courses i'm intrigued. Basically, tafe doesn't offer science courses.

tennille

HSC
Liz N said:
Yep. Various people said go to tafe but theres aren't any particular courses i'm intrigued. Basically, tafe doesn't offer science courses.
There are other ways of getting into uni besides getting a good UAI. Don't repeat yr 12. What happens if you go crap when you repeat year 12. Then you're stuffed. There are always back doors to unis.

klh

HSC
UWS has SWIC as someone mentioned in another post (i am so forgetful) and you can do SIplomas for IT or BUsiness or do a Certificate for entry.
UTS has sorta the same thing as well, the certificate thing. REad the UAC booklet at your choice of uni under the heading alternative entry.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I suggest if you can't get into UNSW or USyd, just pick a similar course at UWS and transfer iafter you have completed first year. There's nothing wrong with UWS. A Med Sci degree is a Med sci degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)