Bachelor of Arts or SIBT? (1 Viewer)

robbie13

HSC
Hey guys,

I have just finished my Foundation Studies Program (Fast Track) at Macquarie University and unfortunately have been unsuccessful in matriculating to first year Bachelor of Commerce degree at the North Ryde campus. Has anyone been in the same boat and done Bachelor of Arts or SIBT? I'd like to hear personal experiences on whether it was actually beneficial in matriculation down the track to an undergraduate degree of choice.

Hopefully this thread will benefit others in the same situation that I am in at the moment. Some relevant background information will be greatly appreciated.

What's the differences? Pro's and con's of choosing either?

Personal experience is mainly what I am after.

Thanks.

robbie13

HSC
Anyone? Surely someone here has been through this before and done either.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Since I thought I did bad for 2012's HSC, I was intending to study Commerce at SIBT. I've applied a week before the main rounds were been offered.

I've changed my mind since I made it into Bachelor of Business (City Campus) at UTS.

SIBT does cost a lot more than regular universities. Reason being, it's designed for International students rather than Domestic. I would rather go study at UWS which has a lower cut-off, then transfer over to whichever uni you want as long if you have the required grades (at least a credit-average (65+) or a distinction-average to heighten your chance).

I wouldn't go with SIBT again since like I said, its price is really hefty. If you scored below the ATAR cut-off for 2013's rounds, then I suggest going to TAFE and start from there onwards.

Last edited:

robbie13

HSC
Thank you for the reply mate. Are you saying it would be better to get into Bachelor of Arts and then do a major transfer on the basis of a GPA of 2.5? A GPA of 2.5 at Macquarie is 2 credits and 2 passes. What would be the success rate of major transfers these days?

Where do I find the costs for SIBT? I completely understand that it is designed for International students that can't write and speak English. How could you go study at UWS after Foundation studies at MQC? Is that even possible?

Do you remember what the costs were for SIBT?

Not keen on TAFE! 148 views and one reply :vcross:

Can you do HEX for SIBT?

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
SIBT is very expensive, with units costing sometimes over double the amount that MQ undergrad units cost (http://www.sibt.nsw.edu.au/enrol-today/fees). That said, you can apply for FEE-HELP (http://www.sibt.nsw.edu.au/enrol-today/fee-help). All that info was found with a single google search btw.

If you have the option between a BA and SIBT i would go with the BA. You could just take the foundational commerce units as electives under the BA and then transfer to a BCom with your first year comm effectively completed.

jessoG

HSC
N/A
Full disclosure, I’m a student mentor at SIBT right now and I had a totally different experience. I’m just finishing my first year studying Bachelor of Commerce at SIBT, after I finished the foundation program at the city campus last year.

I actually went to the foundation program so I could skip the HSC (I really suck at exams, so I figured there was no way I was getting a high enough ATAR to get in). Sure there are a lot of International students at SIBT (and MQ for that matter!), but I’m Australian and there are tons of us too – some MQ students even come back to SIBT to start their degrees again… There aren’t too many people in the classes, so I actually know some of my lecturers, and a few of them will be teaching me next year as well so it’s good to at least know them by name already.

SIBT is definitely more expensive than other options, but if you struggled in year 12 there is no way you’re not going to struggle at uni in a room of 300 people. At least that’s my experience! Good luck!

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Australian Students Fees at SIBT (Commerce)

2013 = A$20,720 (A$2,590 per unit)
2014 = A$21,760 (or $2,720 per unit)

Didn't you already pay for the fees before you've started? Yes, you can HECS/HELP it.

Thank you for the reply mate. Are you saying it would be better to get into Bachelor of Arts and then do a major transfer on the basis of a GPA of 2.5? A GPA of 2.5 at Macquarie is 2 credits and 2 passes. What would be the success rate of major transfers these days?

Where do I find the costs for SIBT? I completely understand that it is designed for International students that can't write and speak English. How could you go study at UWS after Foundation studies at MQC? Is that even possible?

Do you remember what the costs were for SIBT?

Not keen on TAFE! 148 views and one reply :vcross:

Can you do HEX for SIBT?

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure about the pass rate for MQ, but I heard that UWS has this small initiative for people who scored a relatively low ATAR (even those with a mystery mark!) in their HSC which is called "UWSCollege". From what I've heard, you also get a free iPad as well as the chance to even transfer to other unis if you have the grades...

Like again, it's designed for International students, not Australian.

UNSW = UNSW Foundations Studies
UTS = Insearch
MQ = SIBT/MQ Foundations Studies
UWS = UWSCollege

robbie13

HSC
SIBT is very expensive, with units costing sometimes over double the amount that MQ undergrad units cost (http://www.sibt.nsw.edu.au/enrol-today/fees). That said, you can apply for FEE-HELP (http://www.sibt.nsw.edu.au/enrol-today/fee-help). All that info was found with a single google search btw.

If you have the option between a BA and SIBT i would go with the BA. You could just take the foundational commerce units as electives under the BA and then transfer to a BCom with your first year comm effectively completed.
Thank you for sharing some advice. Yes, I completely understand that SIBT is above normal undergraduate costs and I am leaning towards doing Bachelor of Arts and then doing a major transfer into Bachelor of Commerce at North Ryde. Thanks for the links, much appreciated. When are the benefits of SIBT? Can I matriculate earlier if my marks are high enough into 2nd year Commerce?

Why would you go with the BA? I am keen on taking the foundation commerce units as a stepping stone as well as electives in motivating motivation of BCom. If I choose Bachelor of Arts will I be going into first or second year? Because I know that if I choose SIBT and get GPA of 1.5 or more I go into second year.

robbie13

HSC
Full disclosure, I’m a student mentor at SIBT right now and I had a totally different experience. I’m just finishing my first year studying Bachelor of Commerce at SIBT, after I finished the foundation program at the city campus last year.

I actually went to the foundation program so I could skip the HSC (I really suck at exams, so I figured there was no way I was getting a high enough ATAR to get in). Sure there are a lot of International students at SIBT (and MQ for that matter!), but I’m Australian and there are tons of us too – some MQ students even come back to SIBT to start their degrees again… There aren’t too many people in the classes, so I actually know some of my lecturers, and a few of them will be teaching me next year as well so it’s good to at least know them by name already.

SIBT is definitely more expensive than other options, but if you struggled in year 12 there is no way you’re not going to struggle at uni in a room of 300 people. At least that’s my experience! Good luck!
Hi Jesso,

Good to hear from someone with personal experience in SIBT. I was trying to organise to meet up with a friend I know in SIBT to get his opinion on whether it is good or bad. How are you finding SIBT? Wouldn't mind meeting up to have a chat over coffee as I need to make my decision very soon. I completed my HSC and gained very high marks besides one subject that brought my scaling down unfortunately. How many people in a class? What are the lecturers like? Have you ever felt singled out being in SIBT and not in an Undergraduate degree with other students on campus?

Appreciate it.

robbie13

HSC
Australian Students Fees at SIBT (Commerce)

2013 = A$20,720 (A$2,590 per unit)
2014 = A$21,760 (or $2,720 per unit)

Didn't you already pay for the fees before you've started? Yes, you can HECS/HELP it.
Do you have to pay for the Foundation Program fees before starting SIBT? I can definitely see a significant difference in costs with SIBT and it's pro's and con's. HECS/HELP it will always be the way I pay for tuition at Uni.

Thanks man! You have provided with good information over these two days.

robbie13

HSC
I'm not sure about the pass rate for MQ, but I heard that UWS has this small initiative for people who scored a relatively low ATAR (even those with a mystery mark!) in their HSC which is called "UWSCollege". From what I've heard, you also get a free iPad as well as the chance to even transfer to other unis if you have the grades...

Like again, it's designed for International students, not Australian.

UNSW = UNSW Foundations Studies
UTS = Insearch
MQ = SIBT/MQ Foundations Studies
UWS = UWSCollege
UWS doesn't apply to me as I finished my HSC a year ago. HAHA, thanks to the free iPad lol :D

I never knew UNSW offered Foundation Studies, but yes I did know that UTS offered the Insearch program. Are you able to apply for UNSW Foundation Studies? I guess there would be no need as I have just finished my MQC Foundation Studies (Fast Track).

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I've just checked on UNSW Foundations and their ATAR requirement is 60 (Standard) or 75 (Fast). Even though thats the case..., their fees are $30k/per year for Australian students..., so I wouldn't go there...

UWS doesn't apply to me as I finished my HSC a year ago. HAHA, thanks to the free iPad lol :D

I never knew UNSW offered Foundation Studies, but yes I did know that UTS offered the Insearch program. Are you able to apply for UNSW Foundation Studies? I guess there would be no need as I have just finished my MQC Foundation Studies (Fast Track).

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure, all institutions are different when it comes to paying fees. For my uni, you need to pay by the 3 or 4th week of commencing class.

Do you have to pay for the Foundation Program fees before starting SIBT? I can definitely see a significant difference in costs with SIBT and it's pro's and con's. HECS/HELP it will always be the way I pay for tuition at Uni.

Thanks man! You have provided with good information over these two days.

robbie13

HSC
I am going in on Monday to speak to the Marketing team about this for an opinion on which way to go. I was told that I can choose all the core business subjects which will enable me to develop further knowledge before my transfer.

Sandralee

HSC
N/A
I was aiming to get into Bachelor of Commerce at MQ so I did one term at SIBT last year and was in the top 90% of the class in every unit throughout the semester. I felt I actually owned every subject and the classmates were mostly international students who were struggling in their studies because English was their second language. Right after my final exams, the results came out and I ended up failing 2 units and only passed the other 2. I was in a state of shock! Several other domestic students were in the same boat. Interestingly we all failed the same Unit - Accounting 1A and passed the rest of the same units as well. We checked how the international students performed. They passed most of the units. How was that possible? I did not believe I did poorly enough to fail the final exams. The high marks that I had been accumulating only gave me a false sense of confidence. I decided to quit after Semester 1 and went to UWS instead as I felt that was a safer option for myself. I have no regrets. Some of the other domestic students who continued to stay on did not make it into year 2 at Macquarie and were on FEE-HELP which was a lot dearer than being on HECs. They wasted all that money and time. I would not recommend SIBT to local students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)