bachelor of business at UTS vs bachelor of eco/commerce at UNSW (1 Viewer)

wgy182

HSC
Hey guys,
I am not sure what are the differences between Bachelor of Business at uts and bachelor of eco/comm at unsw?
Like which is better? Offers more job opportunities? Workload? Level of difficulty?
Anything is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
A UNSW business degree

daylight

more daylight

a tumbleweed

another tumbleweed

a few deserts

a UTS business degree

Which means the UNSW will have better employment opportunities but be much harder and more competitive

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Everyone here will tell you UNSW because prestige and shit but being part of the UTS Business Society I work alongside the recruiters from all of the Big 4 Accounting firms and our other sponsors like CBA, CPA, CA to organise exclusive career events on and off campus and also with the firms to ensure they receive the most applicants they can get for their vacation programs and grad programs. The truth of the matter is that they don't care what uni you're from. They talk of UTS/UNSW/USYD/MQ in the same light, calling all of the unis the "Big 4 unis" and consider applicants from them the same. The only negative things that have been said about any uni was UWS because the students weren't informed of who the Big 4 were and showed little to no respect to their representatives during careers events and expos on campus and actually USYD too for reasons I will not name.

What they have said that gave students the advantage always came down to previous experience, achievements, extra-curricular involvement, how they presented themselves at networking events and guess what? Also their knowledge of the economy, recent developments in whatever industry you're looking to get into, and your personality. PwC and KPMG in particular mentioned that what was of critical importance to them were their students' performances while on their vaccies programs, which is why PwC has gotten rid of their grad program altogether and will now hire right from their vaccies programs (with recruiters also using LinkedIn to find some students believe it or not). You will learn that recruiting in the recent years have been more about finding the right person to fit into the organisation, its offices and values, not the student with the highest grades from the more prestigious university. Evidently, they care about the applicant, not the university they come from, so it's a matter of making the most of your time at whatever uni you're at and developing yourself into a holistic person.

The workload and difficulty at UTS for the business degree isn't too bad. It's what you would expect from a university degree. Hardwork and time will get you the good marks, but it's also important to note that UTS doesn't scale their students' marks so what your raw is in total is your final mark.

tl;dr it doesn't matter, the recruiters themselves have said it. UNSW is higher ranked but you won't be disadvantaged in any way by being at UTS

Last edited:

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Person from UTS Business says UTS Business is as good as the rest. No conflict of interest there at all

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Person from UTS Business says UTS Business is as good as the rest. No conflict of interest there at all
fantastic argument

sounds like all of those recruiters didn't know what they were talking about

well fuck back to square one

silly old conflict of interest

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Truth be told, what Crobat says is true. The other factors listed are of far more relevance/importance in finding the right fit.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Truth be told, what Crobat says is true. The other factors listed are of far more relevance/importance in finding the right fit.
On a side note, a similar thing goes for many disciplines.

Prestige is near the bottom of the list if its even on the list at all.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
I am not sure what are the differences between Bachelor of Business at uts and bachelor of eco/comm at unsw?
Like which is better? Offers more job opportunities? Workload? Level of difficulty?
Anything is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
In terms of difficulty, from the people who transferred from UTS to USYD, business degree is relatively easy in terms of marks and exams set etc at uts. I would see this as an advantage - you get to spend more time working etc.

In terms of job opportunities, it doesn't really matter too much for most jobs. If anything, some of the big 4 events I have attended, a majority seem to be from uts. Having said that, I am fairly sure comm/eck at unsw will open more doors for you provided that you perform well (80+ wam) or might as well just do a business degree. E.g. to apply to the RBA cadetship - you need minimum finc or eco honours or a 'high calibre' double degree student.
Interested in investment banking? Unsw over uts
Want to apply to Wharton for exchange? Unsw over uts

Note how all those benefits only apply if you are a high achieving student (at least in the unsw Dean's List given that 50 people get it - which is quite a lot).

Big 4 don't really care about marks (min 65 though). As long as you have great soft skills and are presentable. Some of my friends who don't care too much about studies got in vaccines this year (some in grad now)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Big 4 don't really care about marks (min 65 though). As long as you have great soft skills and are presentable. Some of my friends who don't care too much about studies got in vaccines this year (some in grad now)
I don't even think that's a hard and fast rule- it's all on the whole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)