"Bachelor of Science (Advanced Science) with major in blah" -- this could be reality (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Latest ASSSoc newsletter mentions the following:

Among the discussions that have been occurring with Science Faculty, there has been put forth the suggestion to change the title on Graduating certificate to say "Bachelor of Science (Advanced Science) with major in blah" as opposed to what currently occurs - "Bachelor of Science with major in blah". I would like a virtual show of hands as to who would approve this change, who wouldn't like it at all, and who really doesn't care. Any other comments to that effect that I can show around would also be brilliant.
The fact that this is even being discussed is a monumental development in improving the status of Advanced Science at UNSW, which is at present a complete farce. Sure, the word "Advanced" on your testamur doesn't really mean anything, but as it stands there's really no reason to do Advanced Science as opposed to Science, unless you're really serious about doing one of the very few majors only offered within Advanced.

Advanced Science in general is less appealing for, in my opinion, two main reasons. One: the inability to do a double major. Two: SCIF1021. Oh how I loathe SCIF1021. I'm wondering if starting with the testamur will set off some kind of chain reaction which would lead to Advanced Science actually being a "better" choice than Science for people with "above average" scientific ability.

deadfishlol

HSC
N/A
Re: "Bachelor of Science (Advanced Science) with major in blah" -- this could be real

I've always thought Adv.Science was just a gimmick to lure 90+ UAI students who like science but are too ashamed to do B.Science.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Re: "Bachelor of Science (Advanced Science) with major in blah" -- this could be real

from skimming the difference between the 2 programs I believe the thing that sets advanced science apart from the science, is that on top of the attributes you should gain by doing the science program, you gain a research ethos, indication of your will to go into serious academic work, pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge, although I suppose it can argued going the plain science road would put you in the same position if you are determined enough.

The science program states that it aims to give you a generalist background, which is why it allows you the option of 2 majors, but the advanced science program may be geared towards people who want to focus particularly on a specific area of research.

Iruka

HSC
N/A

The problem with advanced science is that many of the people with "better" scientific ability don't do advanced science - they do double degrees. So it is a bit hard to market an elite course that doesn't actually attract the elite.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A

The good students choose double degrees over Advanced Science because it's a restrictive degree (instead of a flexible one which suits more able students) - your forced to do useless Adv Sci - only courses that are irrelevant.

Iruka

HSC
N/A

Yeah, and doing a double degree means that you can usually escape doing Gen Eds.

Concubine

Mew!
HSC

Just to update you all, that change has gone through. Everyone who graduates from 2010 will receive a testamur with Bachelor of Science (Advanced) with a major in blah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)