Bad Chemistry Teacher :/ (1 Viewer)

alijane95

HSC
Hiya :)

Our amazing chemistry teacher left us at the end of last year, to leave us with a new-grad teacher, who admits to having bludged his way through uni. We have no idea why he has been put on our class, as there are definietly more qualified teachers in the science department.

He clearly doesn't know much about chem (e.g. He wrote the chemical symbol for Chlorine with a capital L, a basic chem rule totally broken.)

Wondering if anyone has any ideas? Should I invest in a tutor?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Give him a chance. Just because I make a typo or a spelling mistake doesn't mean I don't know how to speak English. :p

But if you feel it's really affecting you - a tutor isn't a bad idea. Or a word with your Head of Science.

such_such

HSC
Oh dear, I know what you mean. I had an English teacher last year that couldn't even spell rabit. Also, she wrote a passage on the board and underlined some words. Some dude in my class checked it out and it was exactly what's written in Wikipedia, the underlined words being hyperlinks, but to her, they were "key words."

Anyway, she does help you when you need to, and isn't that bad, even though she can't spell. So in your case, you can't just rely on what the teacher's given you or written. If they're totally terrible, then get a nice tutor and if he continually becomes unbearable, complain to the Head. If enough people complain, it should be enough.

Dylanamali

HSC
Investing in a tutor can definitely be a good idea..
I, myself, went to a school with quite a dodgy teacher and the solution for me was going to a tutoring college.. not only did they help me in learning concepts but we accelerated through the course - which made school chemistry almost useless and just a time to relax and have fun :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You might have to self learn, which is hard with a subject like chem.
Some of the other chem teachers, maybe head teacher might be willing to help you at a few breaks, at least the teachers at my school do.
Also, the possibility of him getting kicked off in the long term if many people complain.
If you're lucky enough to live in Sydney, there's a plethora of tutors available.

It's hard, but even without tutoring, elbow grease can really get you good results in a subject.

D94

HSC
N/A
Or a word with your Head of Science.
Would not work. Teachers are going to stick up for other teachers and even if they know the teacher is crap, they are most likely too lazy to do anything about it.

alijane95, just self-learn and invest in a tutor if you are completely lost. There are plenty of resources and this forum can help as well.

Peeik

HSC
Doesn't seem like you are able to spell 'rabbit' either.
^^LOL beat me to it......i was in a similar position to you....had a physics teacher that knew nothing about physics related. I basically taught my self with a handy tutor that comes once a month (he was a friend and did it free of charge). If your intending to get tutored in chem, i say get an experience HSC private tutor rather than those tuition colleges.

Peeik

HSC
Would not work. Teachers are going to stick up for other teachers and even if they know the teacher is crap, they are most likely too lazy to do anything about it.

alijane95, just self-learn and invest in a tutor if you are completely lost. There are plenty of resources and this forum can help as well.
Not always the case, the year above me replaced their english adv teacher. The students need to complain as a group to the principal though....

D94

HSC
N/A
Not always the case, the year above me replaced their english adv teacher. The students need to complain as a group to the principal though....
Guess there's no confidence in the teachers at your school lol

alijane95

HSC
Thankyou thankyou thankyou all!

We're thinking about finding a tutor (live in Orange though... :/)
And our old science teacher is supporting us.
Hopefully our head of science is rational

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately coming from a rural town does have it's disadvantages here. I was in the same boat as you alijane95 but I'm from Parkes where there were NO other really capable chem teachers. So guess who had to teach themselves and it shows in my marks in my signature :\\ Living in the city would be more convenient to have the option of the private college's but sometimes we don't have that option. If you PM me I will give you all my chem stuff that I had to try and give you a hand. I feel sorry for you, I know how frustrating and stressful it is. I went through chem not trying to understand the concepts but just cram and learn answers :|

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
Speak with your year advisor or head of science. It's all about getting a good start for the HSC year which requires a comfortable learning environment - something you clearly don't have for chemistry. At my school, you have to go tutors JUST to be on par with fellow grade students. If you have the time, the money, the commitment, definitely invest in a tutor and some textbooks.

C

chu082011

Speak with your year advisor or head of science. It's all about getting a good start for the HSC year which requires a comfortable learning environment - something you clearly don't have for chemistry. At my school, you have to go tutors JUST to be on par with fellow grade students. If you have the time, the money, the commitment, definitely invest in a tutor and some textbooks.
I like this thread very much. It's wonderful. Thank very much for all.

If you want to do more info, you also visit my blog at: Chemistry teacher interview questions

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Hiya :)

Our amazing chemistry teacher left us at the end of last year, to leave us with a new-grad teacher, who admits to having bludged his way through uni. We have no idea why he has been put on our class, as there are definietly more qualified teachers in the science department.

He clearly doesn't know much about chem (e.g. He wrote the chemical symbol for Chlorine with a capital L, a basic chem rule totally broken.)

Wondering if anyone has any ideas? Should I invest in a tutor?
Chlorine with a capital L? No person who's ever studied chemistry would ever even think of doing that in their wildest, most dilapidated nightmares. You're in trouble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)