Bah! Trotsky! (1 Viewer)

franski

HSC
Hey fellow historians.
I am seeking help with an assignment on trotsky!
anyone know where I can get some good info on the power struggle between Trotsky and Stalin? (up to 1929) - much appreciated!
cheers! xxx

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I don't know if there's anything on the internet but the public library has some great stuff. There's a few Stalin and Trotsky biographies and there's also a few on the actual conflict between the two.

I think you've gotta look at their conflict from before Stalin took the reigns of the Communist Party in 1922 and when Trotsky got an icepick in the brain in 1940.

franski

HSC
eugh i always get the hard ones! bloody trotsky. thanks for the public library advice - shall follow it up... i did find a bit - but my bit's only trotsky up to 1929. sooo yesh.

Eslyssa

HSC
Get out either book by Richard Pipes - very useful.

Other authors to look for - our teacher gave us a list for a similar topic - would be D. Volkogonov, J. Carmichael, O. Figes - oh yes!, M. Lynch, S. Leonard, R. Segal, I. Thatcher.

There's also a book called In the Court of the Red Tsar, but I'm not sure who that's by.

And, if you haven't checked it out, there's a complete archive of Trotsky - http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/

Hope they help!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Eslyssa said:
Get out either book by Richard Pipes - very useful.

Other authors to look for - our teacher gave us a list for a similar topic - would be D. Volkogonov, J. Carmichael, O. Figes - oh yes!, M. Lynch, S. Leonard, R. Segal, I. Thatcher.

There's also a book called In the Court of the Red Tsar, but I'm not sure who that's by.

And, if you haven't checked it out, there's a complete archive of Trotsky - http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/

Hope they help!
yep that one's good - Lynch is good - there's something on hsc.csu as well I *think*, not sure about power struggle but I am sure there is a pretty extensive essay on Stalin and how he manipulated his way to power. Make sure you mention how he used his various positions in the party and govt to centralise power so he controlled it, Trotsky's own failings etc. Oh wait, hold on, there's some great stuff on the BOS main site. Go check that out, you should be set. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)