Balancing part time work and uni? (1 Viewer)

katie2011

HSC
Hey everyone

If you work part time and go to uni how is it going for you ? It it easy balancing balancing study,work,uni and social life?
and if so any tips ?

:)

twistedrebel

HSC
Its quite easy. Just work go uni and do work assignements etc in spare time. I've worked upto 25hrs a week with full time uni (engineering). I am a pretty lazy person and waste heaps of time but i manage fine,

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I got uni 2 days a week (Full time), and the rest I spend bludging mostly, and the rest is working. Dont worry, uni isn't that stressful, hsc was worse tbh

twistedrebel

HSC
uni some people will still make it stressful OMG HD etc but most are just chill etc. If you get credit average at uni you ll be in landing a job, after that point it depends on you has a person and not marks.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
uni some people will still make it stressful OMG HD etc but most are just chill etc. If you get credit average at uni you ll be in landing a job, after that point it depends on you has a person and not marks.
Yeah that's true, education is only a part of it, other stuff included your ability to work in teams, problem solving, etc... It's a balance of everything which employers need at the end of the day.

With that said I'm currently on the top end of D, and HD for most my stuff, and I bludge so much :D I love uni workload, hsc workload was shit

izzy88

HSC
I found it difficult this semester to balance two days at work and four law subjects- in the end I dropped to three subjects before the census date.

I think the struggle for me was a combination of having four law subjects for the first time whereas before I would only have one or two a semester (intermixed with history subjects which required no where near the same amount of work as a law subject) and also the fact that last year I had hardly any class and no law (doing honours in history), so it was a bit of a shock to the system having 16 hours a week of class and so many law readings as well as starting a new job that required two full days a week.

In the end I decided that there was no point getting stressed and worried the whole semester trying to keep on top of four subjects, and that I might as well just extend my degree by an extra semester (since I can't drop work because i need the money and they only accept two days a week). Saying that, I got through the past four years doing proper full time and working (although the work was a bit more flexible) - i think it just depends on what you are doing/circumstances at the time :)

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
It really depends on what you're studying and balancing with. For me I did the cadetship working 4.5 days a week and doing 3 subjects in uni. It does take quite a while to get used to it but if your work is related to the subjects you are doing in uni, it shouldn't be a problem. In the end it really depends on how much you can handle and will be comfortable with (i wanted to finish and graduate from uni so in my last semester i did 4.5 days work and 4 subjects in uni.. quite a killer -.-)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah I just work 8 hours one day a week (either saturday/sunday) and its easy, i only take one shift off just before exams start (if at all). Also, I waste a lot of time on public transport and socializing so I tend to get home from uni at 6:30pm at the earliest, still manage to get all my work done somehow lol.

katie2011

HSC
Thanks for all the reply people :)
sounds like it can pretty manageable. In my case next year hopefully will be starting an Arts/Commerce degree. By then i will also have my certificate II in business admin so i was thinking of maybe working 2 days a week ???
I don't think i could stand not working and having money. I would hate to have to rely on my parents..

:)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
i do it for highschool

and i am positive you spend less time at uni than at school

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on your degree, how much your bludge and spend with friends, and also how well you can get through work. I think how well you manage the two depends on lot of your long term goals (e.g. GPA, extra-curricular activities for your CV, career prospects) etc.

izzy88

HSC
Depends on your degree, how much your bludge and spend with friends, and also how well you can get through work. I think how well you manage the two depends on lot of your long term goals (e.g. GPA, extra-curricular activities for your CV, career prospects) etc.
I think this is a good point as well- co-curricular activities can take up a lot of time at uni. I find that being treasurer of the uni orchestra can be very time consuming. Sometimes its alright, and it only takes an extra hour or two of preparation for a rehearsal - but in the lead up to concerts (and post-concerts) I may end up spending an entire day/two days sorting out finances/having meetings etc Its fun, but it can sometime feel like it takes up my entire life, above and beyond uni study or work.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a second year Bachelor of Science student at UQ, majoring in Mathematics (Analysis). This semester I did two maths courses, one physics course and a religion course and ended up at uni for 15 hrs one week, then 18 the following week (due to pracs being scheduled once a fortnight). I work as a supervisor on weekends and Thursday nights and dropped back from three shifts a week to two this semester so I could have a day on the weekend to play catch-up and get on top of all my work. I bludge far too much and should currently be studying for exams. Starting next semester, I'll only be doing three subjects. When I'm at uni, I tend to get sick very easily so doing one less course a semester will hopefully let me rest enough to prevent any severe illness.

It's definitely manageable and nowhere near as strenuous as HSC, where you'd be at school for seven hours a day and then be expected to study for several hours when you got home at night.

harhar

HSC
Currnetly in year 12 - can't wait to face 'problems' of balancing work and social life

Right now, I've got studyin.. nothing to balance it with :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)