• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Balancing work/study at Uni? (1 Viewer)

Fruitsalad

HSC
Hey all

Just wondering, for those who do work part time while also
studying, how many hours per week do you work? Do any of
you find it difficult to manage this, or are Uni timetables often flexible?

I'm hoping to study design next year and know that there quite a few
projects involved...it would be nice if I could balance both.

Any advice would be great and very much appreciated,

Thanks

absolutepureobl

manic monday
HSC
My face to face hours this year were 15, but I spent at least that at uni studying/practising every week as well. I also worked 30 hours a week at my job. It's manageable.

T

thegovernator

really depends on how well you want to do. i save up in the holidays to sustain myself through semester1 and 2. that way I don't have to work at all during uni time. really helps the ol' grades :D

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i've had trouble actually getting a job because of uni taking up most of the week, but i dont think working and studying should be hard to manage once you're doing both.

Fruitsalad

HSC
Thanks for comments,

I know going to Uni is costly, so while my parents will help pay for most things I definitely don't want to leave it all to them.
I heard though that when applying for part time/casual positions at some places (hospitality/retail), they aren't too keen once they find out you are studying at Uni. <---with timetables and lack of flexibility...
Is that the case??

biggie walls

HSC
yo yo, design can take up abit of time outside uni hours... but you should still be able to comfortably work about 15hrs or so part time each week, lots of places hire uni students so dont worry bout that - try cafes,retail stores or maybe some bar work

Evilo

HSC
I work my ass off over the holiday break and use those savings to live over the year. Yes i dont have to pay for food/accom (before someone questions me).

ANU advises that students don't work more than 8-10 hours a week.

Personally if you do arts, you can work alot more. I've also seen a Macq (science) student do 25+ hrs/wk - i personally think is a bit much. Most of my mates do one or 2* 6-8 hour shifts a week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)