BaPsych honours First Year units... (1 Viewer)

zaqwerty

HSC
So I know that there's the three compulsory units that we must do in the first year, the two introduction to psychology ones and statistics, but I'm a bit confused about the other units. It says on the website that you can pick whatever you want and that there are no recommendations, but this sounds... wrong. My sister was talking about "having too many 100 level units" when I was looking at what other units I could do, but how am I supposed to pick 200 level units when they'd have prerequisits? And if I can pick whatever I want.. I would feel a tad weird studying Russia when I am supposed to be completing a degree in psychology..

Any help?

P.S. What do you do in psych practicals?

atinaa:-)89

HSC
hey, im doin the same course as you. I know someone who did it last year, they did the required psych and stat units then they did PHIL 137 and a chemistry subject but i dont know what. Apparently the Philosophy subject (PHIL 137) is good not only for the psychology course but just about everyone as it teaches how to analyse arguments. He got 99 for his UAI in 2006 so i aint gona argue with him lol
Im doing stat 170, psy 104, phil 137 and ahst 103 (just because i love history). I found too many clashes in my lectures for the other subjects i wanted to do like biology and all that.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
No it's all true - you get 5 electives, which means you can explore other areas in your first year. And you shouldn't feel compelled to do things that are related to psychology just for the sake of it. I recommend doing whatever units look cool.

The reason you get so much freedom in first year is because in 2nd year and 3rd year (and 4th year -in the case of psych(honours)) its pretty much ALL psychology. And whatever space you do have for electives, there are plenty of psychology electives you can choose on top of the cores.

I did a bunch of philosophy units (PSY137 is good :D) and ancient history units in my first year. Other people chose sociology and linguistics. If you feel you MUST do things that are close to psychology, then sociology and some linguistics units are probably the the closest related. But again, don't feel you have to - you may regret not choosing units that look interesting in 2nd/3rd/4th year when you no longer can choose anything else other than psychology.

Also taking the first year as an opportunity to explore other areas may end up being a good idea if, for some reason, you find you don't like psychology. Psychology isn't for everyone. Generally everyone takes a gamble when they choose psychology because we never did anything like it in high school - so, again, use the electives to choose areas you are likely to enjoy and so makes it easier to get into an area other than psychology, just in case you end up not liking it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)