Barred from English Advanced (1 Viewer)

Starship22

HSC
Hi guys I am in year 10. Recently I tried applying for English advanced but I was unable to get in because my average was too low (~68%). I am now stuck in standard and I am hoping to get at least 92 atar. How fucked am I?

Starship22

HSC
bruh u can get a 99.95 with english standard ur all good
Thanks. But like how much effort would I have to put into standard. I am doing subjects like MX1 and physics so will something like a mid band 5 be ok for standard? and how hard would it be to get it

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Hi guys I am in year 10. Recently I tried applying for English advanced but I was unable to get in because my average was too low (~68%). I am now stuck in standard and I am hoping to get at least 92 atar. How fucked am I?
you're not fucked. you are 100% capable of getting way higher than a 92 ATAR with english standard (especially seeing that you are doing other subjects that scale well such as ext 1 maths and phys), even into the 99s (the highest ATAR achieved for an english standard student last year was 99.95). you just have to be aware that majority of the cohort for english standard may be a bit less motivated and not as capable in english as all those people would be in advanced, so you would have to put in the effort to improve and stay highly ranked as to not be screwed over with alignment and moderation and all that. you're only in year 10 and you've got tons of time - i know so many people who did so trash for english in year 10 and are now ranked top 20-30 in years 11-12 (this was an english advanced cohort though - i just wanted to get the point across that you need to exert the effort needed to be top-ranked.

that being said, if you still want to get into advanced, i'm not sure how strict your english faculty is but there may still be a chance. in year 11, the first module for both standard and advanced is reading to write - meant to assist students in the transition from junior english to senior english. since it is a shared module where everyone learns roughly the same skills, you may be able to compromise with your teachers to move up to advanced if you do well for the reading to write assignment. this happened to my family friend - he chose english standard, then decided to move up to advanced because it was the stronger cohort and they did better texts. he got a good mark for reading to write (i heard it was a common assignment between both standard and advanced) and then asked the teachers to move him up to advanced, and because of that they let him. he's doing advanced now, you may be able to do the same

Starship22

HSC
you're not fucked. you are 100% capable of getting way higher than a 92 ATAR with english standard (especially seeing that you are doing other subjects that scale well such as ext 1 maths and phys), even into the 99s (the highest ATAR achieved for an english standard student last year was 99.95). you just have to be aware that majority of the cohort for english standard may be a bit less motivated and not as capable in english as all those people would be in advanced, so you would have to put in the effort to improve and stay highly ranked as to not be screwed over with alignment and moderation and all that. you're only in year 10 and you've got tons of time - i know so many people who did so trash for english in year 10 and are now ranked top 20-30 in years 11-12 (this was an english advanced cohort though - i just wanted to get the point across that you need to exert the effort needed to be top-ranked.

that being said, if you still want to get into advanced, i'm not sure how strict your english faculty is but there may still be a chance. in year 11, the first module for both standard and advanced is reading to write - meant to assist students in the transition from junior english to senior english. since it is a shared module where everyone learns roughly the same skills, you may be able to compromise with your teachers to move up to advanced if you do well for the reading to write assignment. this happened to my family friend - he chose english standard, then decided to move up to advanced because it was the stronger cohort and they did better texts. he got a good mark for reading to write (i heard it was a common assignment between both standard and advanced) and then asked the teachers to move him up to advanced, and because of that they let him. he's doing advanced now, you may be able to do the same
This is extremely helpful thank you very much. I am still inquiring with the faculty but it’s great to know that there is a potential chance next year, especially since I overheard one of my teachers talking about an year 11 student who moved up.

I will for sure out as much effort as possible into standard

Starship22

HSC
I don't think English standard is bad, but if you go to a public school you should talk to your teachers and try negotiate w them, if its a private school than idk ask @its_ace21 they can be ur tutor
Yeah I might have some hope as they said it’s only a “recommendation” although I go to a top 50-60 selective so they might just be gatekeeping in order to make their numbers look better

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Just rank 1 then doesn't matter what course ur doing. Lightwork no reaction

tigerian

HSC
N/A
I have taught and tutored 4 standard English students who are now doing medicine at Sydney university and went straight in after school so don’t despair

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
I have taught and tutored 4 standard English students who are now doing medicine at Sydney university and went straight in after school so don’t despair
sorry but that’s prime survivorship bias right there

tigerian

HSC
N/A
sorry but that’s prime survivorship bias right there
Not quite sure what that means. I only comment on what I know to be true so i don’t quite understand what that means. It was just a comment to support someone who felt they were missing out and having been an hsc marker I just wanted him to know all is not lost . Ihave marked sone outstanding standard English hsc papers so I hope it helps people to know that standard English is not preventative

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Not quite sure what that means. I only comment on what I know to be true so i don’t quite understand what that means. It was just a comment to support someone who felt they were missing out and having been an hsc marker I just wanted him to know all is not lost . Ihave marked sone outstanding standard English hsc papers so I hope it helps people to know that standard English is not preventative
it essentially means that you focus on a small amount of success stories whilst overlooking those who did not - another example of this is those YouTubers who go “what I did to achieve 99+ atar”

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
it essentially means that you focus on a small amount of success stories whilst overlooking those who did not - another example of this is those YouTubers who go “what I did to achieve 99+ atar”
OP asked if they could get a 92 with standard, and @tigerian basically said yes, so i dont see the problem here

tigerian

HSC
N/A
he used the example of people who now do med at usyd, there’s a difference

I’m not disagreeing that it can’t be done
sorry about that . It was only a very small Example . It was intended to encourage that person to remain focused and not to feel discouraged or feel it’s all over. Thanks for clarifying. After all one positive example is better than none

C_master

HSC
92? You can definitely even get 99+ depending on how industrious and willing you are to reach your goal- I had the same problem with PDHPE earlier :>)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)