BBusiness (First Year Subjects) Overview (1 Viewer)

a_person86

HSC
You find that many cadets attend night classes.

Im currently a cadet, and the majority of the cadets i work with go to either UTS or UNSW. Very few go to MQ or UWS.

I prefer UTS as i heard that there degree was very flexible, also UTS doesnt require much travelling for cadets as they are already in the city for work.

Cadetships close some time in mid June, if you are interested in a cadetship you should take a look at the ICAA website.

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
Hey,
I'm currently in my first year at UWS doing Business (Accounting) and I hope to transfer to B Business at UTS for the start of 2006.

My 2004 UAI was 74.85 and my GPA for first semester uni was 5.5. So I'm hoping if I can maintain or improve on this GPA and fill out the questionnaire well, I can transfer.

Also, do you think i can get exemptions for the following subjects that I've done or I'm currently doing at UWS:
Already done:
- Accounting Reports and Decisions
- Introductory Economics
- Statistics For Business
- Introduction to Business Law
Currently doing:
- Financial Accounting Applications
- Management Accounting Fundamentals
- Management Foundations
- Law of Business Organisations

robbie1

HSC
im thinking of doing business at UTS next year (if i can get the UAI)

just wondering if this uni has a good reputation and how far a walk it is from central station

also, im looking to major in sport management but im not very strong in the accounting area. will i survive the course?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i am doing Business law and ethics this semester and its challenging. lots of stuff to remember. The book is bigger then those yellow pages books. Defenitly not bludgy subject

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I never read the book for that subject :p. Just read the lecture notes since it was an open book exam. The index came in handy during the exam :p

Jeevers

HSC
Use tags to know where things are for the b law ethics final. As for the book, use tags, write notes. Nobody can remember everything in law subjects.

ackmon

HSC
Is anyone doing it at kuringai campus? and howcome if it is the same course u need a lower uai?

rosepetal25

HSC
N/A
ackmon said:
Is anyone doing it at kuringai campus? and howcome if it is the same course u need a lower uai?
maybe because there is less demand for the course at the kuringai campus?

wubble

HSC
im having trouble picking my course

im looking at:
B econmics @ unsw
B bus @ uts
B bus/B computing @ uts

i have a few things i need to make clear in my head . ppl have been telling me that B bus @ uts is basically the same as B commerce @ unsw . true ?

and which one would ppl choose . business @ uts or economics @ unsw ?
and can u provide justifications so i know y pls ?

and say if i had to choose between B bus @ uts and B bus/B computing @ uts, which one is beta ?
cos like sum1 has told me that B bus i can do double major where as B bus/B computing i can only do a single major . if thats the case then, would it be better to have a double major or a double degree ? *noting that the combined degree is only B computing

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well I can't answer the UNSW side of your question much, but I'll try with the UTS side.

Basically, the BBusiness has more core subjects in the first year than the BComm or the BEco does (as far as I know). These core subjects are all required if you're doing the Accounting major (so the BComm students end up doing it anyways), but if you're doing another major, then usually you wouldn't have do some of the first year subjects in the BComm, whereas you'll have to do them in the BBusiness. This isn't a bad thing though, as it's all general Business stuff that's relevant to most job fields.

As for between BBusiness and BEconomics, well I think the economics degree is focused towards economics, so if you want to go into that field, then that course is good for you. As far as I know, it's just a more focused BComm degree, in which you can still do a 2nd major if you want.

As you already know, you can do 2 majors in the BBusiness (so like Accounting and Economics), if you want, though only 1 major is mandatory. The other can be made up of a sub-major and electives if you wish.

Now, all the BBusiness combined degrees only have 1 major, because you are already focusing in another area in the other side of your combined degree, so to make sure you're not spending 5-6 years at uni, they cut out one of the majors. You'll find this is pretty standard across most uni's. So basically, you usually do one Business major and then one major from the other side of your degree (whether your doing IT, Science, Engineering or Law).

As for choosing the BBusiness/BComputing course, I would only choose it if you were interested in a career in an Information Technology related field or in a field which requires both, and you have an interest in computers. As with any IT course, the content can be fairly technical, and so you need to have an interest in it to enjoy the course and do well at it. The course content isn't too hard, in my opinion, and most students get through the IT courses without too much trouble, but that's because they are interested in IT. The BComputing side of the degree will allow you to do a sub-major in an area of IT you're interested in, so you'll graduate with a combined degree with 1 major and 1 sub-major, in 4 years.

If you choose to do the single BBusiness degree, you can just do a 2nd major in IT, but in my opinion, you may as well spend an extra year and get a 2nd degree, as it's a lot more beneficial and will be more recognised by employers.

Hope this helps.

soulz

HSC
Help plz

Heyz, i also have concerns with choosing the BBusinessBComputing at UTS as one of my prefs for 2006 .

- My major concern is the level of maths that the Comp side of the degree has. I also heard the comp side of the degree has no maths subjects although it involves logical thinking. Can someone who has or is currently doing the course shed some light on this., thanks. ( An overview much like Jasee's one of the BBus side but this time on the BComp side will be much appreciated.)

P.S -I Did General maths for HSC.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Ok well I will go through the core Computing Subjects and explain the amount of maths/logic involved.

Computer Fundamentals
- Involves basic mathametical concepts
- Mathametic concepts include: Binary, Hexadecimal, Boolean Logic (AND, OR and NOT), Floating Point Numbers
- Logic Level: Medium
- Level of Math required (my subjective guess): Standard

Information Systems Principles
- No major mathametical concepts
- Essay subject
- Logic Level: Low

Programming Fundamentals
- Involves basic mathametical concepts
- Mathamatic concepts: addition, subtracation, multiplication etc... Boolean Logic
- Logic Level: Medium
- Level of Math required (""): Standard

Systems Modelling
- No major mathametical concepts
- Diagram subject (drawing UML diagrams)
- Logic Level: Low-Medium

Database Principles
- No major mathametical concepts (Boolean Logic brushed upon)
- Coding/Diagram subject
- Logic Level- Low-Medium

Networking Fundamentals
- Skipped this (jase maybe help out with this subject?)

Speaking from personal experience I was pretty lousy at Maths... I have had no trouble with these courses.

maka

HSC
Just thought I'd help jasee out with this subject

21193 Introduction to Corporate Strategy
- This subject includes 1 lecture (1 hour) and 1 tutorial (1 hour) to give you a total of 2 hours a week (VERY CRUISY)
- This subject covers the basics of making strategic decisions in businesses. It provides skills in making decisions, how business envrionments operate, leadership and organisational politics.
- Not having done this subject myself, I can't really say much else. If someone else on this board has something to add, then feel free too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Mathematical ability is not required in this subject apart from a few simple calculations. This subject is more importantly based around the application of business and strategical concepts to a business framework. Very practical natured subject with only a 30% final exam (Spring 05) with the bike simulation the main focus of assessment [nearly everyone passed before the final]. There is very minimal direct examination of lecture material apart from the 90 MC 30% final.
-This subject is very group based with the formation of a 3-6 people team to compete as a bike firm through a computer simulation. This simulation makes teams compete against other class mates. It culminates in weekly decisions to affect performance, a group strategic outline and a board presentation. Also there is 2 case studies which are defined as group work but are more self focused team work as the questions do not relate.
-Renamed Business Strategy from Austumn 06 onwards
(THE LECTURER IS REVIEWING THE SUBJECT'S STRUCTURE, CONTENT AND ASSESSMENTS I AM LEAD TO BELIEVE)

roadcone

HSC
i am about to start at uts part time (i'm a new cadet). does anyone have any advice as to which 2 subjects i should start with?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I'd go with Accounting for Business and Managing People and Organisations in Autumn and Economics for Business and Marketing Foundations in Spring.

hey guys, i am gonna start my degree of B med sci and B business.
do u think that the business degree is treated farily with the B med sci??
i am just really worried cause the course is with faculty of science so i fell as if the B med sci has an advantage over da B business, is that something 2 worry about???

jj33

HSC
Hi I am a new cadet and I do full time uni for the first semester but part time uni for the second semester. I am having problems deciding which two subjects I should do in the second semester. I don’t really want to do the Business law and ethics because I have heard that it is a hard subject that involves a lot a readings and is very time consuming. What 2 subjects do you think are the least time consuming/hard and don’t involve much group work?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Go with Accounting Transactions and Business Decisions and Fundamentals of Business Finance then. FBF has group work though. I also assume you want to do ATBD as well, otherwise you do Business Strategy.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
jasee said:
Note: The BBusiness course structure has changed slightly for 2006. The changes are reflected below.
Thanks for the overview Jasee :)
How has the course structure changed may I ask?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)