BCom/BSc (Advanced Maths)(Hons) at UNSW. Is Honours worth it? (1 Viewer)

applebananaorange

HSC
Hi guys,

So I've been thinking about doing the BCom/BSc (Advanced Maths)(Hons) program at UNSW and am interested in doing the advanced maths majors/courses but I'm not too sure about undertaking the honours year. For those who have done it or know about it, is the Honours year very hard? and is it beneficial when it comes to finding a job and salary-wise?

Thank you :)

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
It definitely won't hurt your salary upon graduation and will make you more employable to an extent.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Honours is awesome - it's the best

I got an awesome supervisor and an awesome topic, and I'm happy to work through it for a year

applebananaorange

HSC
Shadowdude, so what would the honours year involve? I'm not too familiar with it but I've heard that you undertake some research and write a thesis or do a project?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Shadowdude, so what would the honours year involve? I'm not too familiar with it but I've heard that you undertake some research and write a thesis or do a project?
Yeah you take 5 subjects over the course of a year, usually you'd take 8 per year - and then you choose a supervisor and a topic, and you research that over a year and write a thesis, which is basically a report on what you studied. Alternatively, you can be like my supervisor and ask for new results.

Like that's basically the gist of it

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think whether the Honours year is very hard will depend on what stream of maths you wish to take and whether you enjoy that stream.

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Yeah you take 5 subjects over the course of a year, usually you'd take 8 per year - and then you choose a supervisor and a topic, and you research that over a year and write a thesis, which is basically a report on what you studied. Alternatively, you can be like my supervisor and ask for new results.

What's your major, thesis topic, supervisor name and sanity level?

leehuan

HSC
I think whether the Honours year is very hard will depend on what stream of maths you wish to take and whether you enjoy that stream.
Mostly whether or not you like it. All streams are meant to be equally hard on a generic scale I reckon

However

Hi guys,

So I've been thinking about doing the BCom/BSc (Advanced Maths)(Hons) program at UNSW and am interested in doing the advanced maths majors/courses but I'm not too sure about undertaking the honours year. For those who have done it or know about it, is the Honours year very hard? and is it beneficial when it comes to finding a job and salary-wise?

Thank you :)
On a generic scale it's not intended to be that hard either.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Well your honours is quite pointless if you're heading towards banking and finance. I guess the title 'Advanced Mathematics' entices you to study that course?

applebananaorange

HSC
I guess the title 'Advanced Mathematics' entices you to study that course?
Haha a bit. It's just that the majors that are available such as quantitative risk, applied maths and pure maths seem interesting. Or could i do the same courses under the 4 year BCom/BSc degree?

applebananaorange

HSC

Thank you for explaining it to me, helped me understand the honours component so much better

si2136

HSC
N/A
Haha a bit. It's just that the majors that are available such as quantitative risk, applied maths and pure maths seem interesting. Or could i do the same courses under the 4 year BCom/BSc degree?
Of course you can, besides QR.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What's your major, thesis topic, supervisor name and sanity level?
I'm doing Pure Mathematics Honours in arithmetic dynamics

I'm enjoying it - it's good stuff, sure I'm at uni a lot more but it's fun

Well your honours is quite pointless if you're heading towards banking and finance. I guess the title 'Advanced Mathematics' entices you to study that course?
Ehhh I think you'll find that a lot of the statistics and QR Honours student this year are going into jobs at Westpac or Comm Bank with that research background, or PhD

Last year, one of the stats people went to Macquarie Bank.

Show someone from that field you can do maths and they'll like you a lot more

No, you can't do the Honours courses as an undergraduate usually, esp. for stats

si2136

HSC
N/A
Yeah defs, but you can also do the same with science. I guess the biggest difference between science and advanced math is just QR, well, which I might be going for anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)