BDesign (VC) @ UTS vs BDigital Media @ COFA (1 Viewer)

soukuturtle

HSC
Hey guys. I'm posting this in the COFA section as well.

Anyway. I'd like to know how these courses differ and which course would be better for animation/multimedia.

I've heard that it is a lot more "artsy fartsy" at COFA than UTS - geared more towards fine art, and that UTS is better for design, but they both look good and I don't know which to choose. For those doing Design (Visual Communications) at UTS, I'd like to hear what you have to say about the course and stuff (opinions, etc).

Currently, COFA is 1st in my preference list, UTS is 2nd. I dunno if I should switch the two around or not.

Thanks.

msh

HSC
yes uts is better for design..
i know too many ppl that have dropped out of the UNSW B Design program (for various reasons, mostly because it wasn't so professionally orientated. some said it wasn't geared for fashion, other said it wasn't very 'graphic design.' i honestly don't know what B Design at UNSW is about.)

geegables

HSC
I was in the same predicament last year, i just finished 1st year viscom and am incredibly glad i ended up choosing it over digital media. The biggest difference between the two is that UTS has so many industry links and the course is structured to give you the best headstart in the graphic design field as it encompasses both possible avenues in the profession by covering print media AND digital media elements in its earlier years.
The UTS course has much more affiliations with existing design firms, thus another advantage of the viscom course

msh

HSC
geegables said:
I was in the same predicament last year, i just finished 1st year viscom and am incredibly glad i ended up choosing it over digital media. The biggest difference between the two is that UTS has so many industry links and the course is structured to give you the best headstart in the graphic design field as it encompasses both possible avenues in the profession by covering print media AND digital media elements in its earlier years.
The UTS course has much more affiliations with existing design firms, thus another advantage of the viscom course
i know.. i feel COFA/UNSW Design is a tad directionless.. We don't even have that many industry connections except for our BFA course which is truly one of the best option for having a successful career as an artist..

miikahansen

HSC
N/A
The biggest problem with the Design program offered at COFA is it is somewhat misleading to those who are just about the finish their HSC. It's not good just to think it has to do with "Design" but you do have to have some kind of picture which direction of Design you want to undertake.

Alot of young guys think it's to do with Visual Communication. Because the college is of course based in Fine Arts, the Design course is orientated towards this. So therefore, the overall program is very broad as your using a lot of different materials.

If you feel that the direction you want to do as a designer in terms of image, type, illustration then UTS is the preference because Visual Communication is about this. Design at COFA is about learning about everything but more inlined with Object making.

For those that thought Design at COFA was about Fashion, it is definitely not. The course isn't meant to solely focus on Fashion not was it ever its original intention. If you want to study Fashion, TAFE/UTS or private institutions are the right choices.

It is true UTS has more direct industry links but its not what diffentiaties inself with COFA. Both courses have a different direction and different course structure so they offer two unique programmes. It's down to the individual really to gain whatever success they can.

UTS is more design orientated and that's really a fact. And its because its entire course is structured around this. You can study similar things at COFA but it won't be with emphasis.

soukuturtle

HSC
Thanks for the info, guys.

I want to do animation/multimedia in uni so I was wondering, does the Vis Comm course also have a focus on that (is motion graphics the same thing?).

I wasn't focusing on COFA's Design course (I don't intend to do Design there) for a comparison with UTS' Design. I wanted to know if COFA's Digital Media course would be similar to UTS' Vis Comm course. At least with focuses on animation.

Those two courses are my top two preferences and I dunno which to put first. I'm leaning more towards UTS now but I'm not entirely sure.

soukuturtle

HSC
What does that have anything to do with animation? I've already got a UAI above the cutoff for both courses.

poppop

HSC
N/A
Animation is only briefly touched at bachelors level I believe...

However UTS does have the Masters in Animation which is a focused degree purely on ANIMATION as the major.

soukuturtle

HSC
Oh ok. Thanks guys! I think I'll do Design @ UTS and go back and do a Master in Animation after or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)