BE/BA: How does it work? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello there, everyone from USyd. I'm a Year 12 student considering studying with you all next year. It's pretty difficult to find out some certain information about USyd without a student login, so I thought I'd ask it here and see if anyone could help me out.

I'm hoping to to engineering along with a language (quite possibly German). I've heard for the combined degrees, you have to bunch up all the Arts component at the end of the degree. Does this mean I'll only be able to learn German to a beginners' level? Also, what progression path would I have to take if I haven't really learned much German (or if I self-study during the 3 month holidays)? Would I have to do Junior German 1-6 then Senior German 1-6 or does it go differently?

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise :angel:.

Edit: OK, what I'm really trying to ask (along with the rest) is if I'm able to do a bit of German every year or if I really do have to dedicate the first 3 years to engineering. I do want to be able to fit some of the recommended units of studies such as Engineering Management (such a unit is bound to be helpful in the workplace).

Last edited:

spence

HSC
I don't see any reason why you won't be able to do German at the start of the degree.
And as for the progression, you'll do Junior German 1 and 2, then Senior German 1, then 2 then 3, etc.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
What sort of engineering are you thinking of getting into? Here's a link for a BE/BA with electrical engineering (it's pretty similar for most other engineering combined degrees though):

/undergraduates/EE/BA Enrolments

You are ADVISED to do 2 arts subjects in the first year (2 junior subjects), 1 in the second year (another junior), 24 in the third year (junior or intermediate), 24 in the 4th year (usually all senior by this stage), and 18 in your last year (usually all senior). Junior = 1st year subject, intermediate = 2nd year, senior = 3rd year.

If you know what you're doing, you can take them in any order you want as long as you fulfill the credit point requirements. I know an engineering student who did most of her arts subjects in the first 2 years of her degree, and another one left all the arts units to the end so she could do her engineering thesis in 4th year (as opposed to 5th).

AFAIK, you'll only be able to fit in 1 arts major in a combined degree with engineering, unless you major in a field related to your engineering subjects (e.g. a maths major, since engineers have to do junior and intermediate maths).

HSC
Holy crap! That page is incredibly useful, although I'm (at the current time) interested in mechanical or mechatronic engineering. I haven't been able to find anything similar on the mechanical engineering section of the website, so if such a page exists there I would appreciate help finding it.

Thank you so much for easing my mind on this. I can't remember who it was who said it, but someone I was talking to on the Open Day said that people usually put the Arts units in Years 4 and 5, which sounds ridiculous to me. University sounds so much better now that this is possible :).

Oh, and spence, did you mean this? Junior German 1, Junior German 2, then Senior German 1, Senior German 2, Senior German 3... (ie. no further junior units)?

witide

HSC
The electrical engineering site is much easier to see the program details. I'm enrolled in mechatronic engineering and arts for this year, and I'm studying modern greek for my arts component. I'm just doing 3 engg 1 arts subject per semester, and then I study most of and complete the arts in year 4...well I was going to, but I'm changing to education instead.

HSC

witide

HSC
I was referring to the BE/BA combined degree plan. It's hard to know which units I could put off to second year from the first year and which units I can put off to third year from the second year, etc. while still fulfilling the prerequisites for each unit. Oh well, looks like I'll just do it the hard way after I actually finish the HSC.
Don't worry dude. When you go to enrol, you should have an advisor who'll help you pick all your subjects.

witide

HSC
A-ha! Now that's something I wish I'd known a long time ago. Thanks, witide, now my mind is at ease. +rep.
No worries. Funnily enough though, at UNSW they get you to choose all your subjects on your own online. After getting my late round offer for USYD, my advisor said "heh, engo/arts student eh? we don't get many of those".

HSC
No worries. Funnily enough though, at UNSW they get you to choose all your subjects on your own online. After getting my late round offer for USYD, my advisor said "heh, engo/arts student eh? we don't get many of those".
It's all about the money. At least, that's I think is in many engineer's minds. We engineering students don't tend to be the best candidates for Art, considering that the many of the main skills required for engineering tend to be the polar opposites of those required for Arts. It makes me angry that engineers tend to sneer at BE/BA students for attempting to be a well-rounded individual.

Of course, I hope no-one takes any offence with regard to these comments, opinions shouldn't have to hurt anybody.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)